Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Encore, Chevy Trax reportedly dead after 2022

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
......And, even adjusted for inflation, a three-cylinder turbo Encore GX costs a lot more than a three-cylinder Geo Metro XFi did for a reason. The Metro got twice the mileage (60+ on the road)....but was basically a tin can to sit in and drive, and you sure wouldn't want to get hit in one. The Encore GX is more pleasant to drive, more versatile, and reasonably safe in an accident.
Also has a turbo. And an embedded antenna..You remember the Geo antenna?
Old 03-19-22, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Toyota CHR.
I never did understand the reason Toyota introduced that vehicle in the U.S. Small, cramped, IMO one of the most awkward-looking vehicles on the market. No AWD available despite the fact that it is a crossover. And, most unusual for a Toyota, the first one I looked at and sat in, on a dealer lot, had trim pieces on the dash that were not only never installed properly, but were sprung and misaligned to the point that they actually partially-blocked the engine-start button. I tried to fix it myself, but could only partially do so.

Too much overlap between them, doesn't make sense to sell the Encore and Encore GX alongside each other.
I don't disagree with that............I made that point myself in an earlier post. But, from what I've seen in images, the GX is much nicer inside....the 2Gen Encore reminds me of more or less a base-level Ford Escape inside. It was definitely built to a strict budget.
Old 03-19-22, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Also has a turbo. And an embedded antenna..You remember the Geo antenna?
Windshield-antenna-wires in GM products started long before the Metro.....they go back to the late 1960s, along with less-than-optimal radio-reception. Today, of course, advanced electronics has cured most of that...and given us new antenna-designs, although, for some reason, the Encore GX still uses a shark-fin and short mast.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-22 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-19-22, 07:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Windshield-antenna-wires in GM products started long before the Metro.....they go back to the late 1960s, along with less-than-optimal radio-reception. Today, of course, advanced electronics has cured most of that.
True. But the Metro antenna was super cheap. Toyota had the same antenna too on some cars, I think the Tercel and Corolla were the models they had them

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-19-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-19-22, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

But if Toyota didn't have world markets. UX and CT as well as the smaller LX would be D.O.A. Would never make money. They just dump them here.Same thing for the GX Encore. it is dumped here from South Korea .Lexus sales are actually stalled at 300K because they lack what Americans really want. A huge SUV like an Escalade or massive crossover.
True, but that doesnt mean there isn't more market for higher end smaller cars in the US than there used to be.

......And, even adjusted for inflation, a three-cylinder turbo Encore GX costs a lot more than a three-cylinder Geo Metro XFi did for a reason. The Metro got twice the mileage (60+ on the road)....but was basically a tin can to sit in and drive, and you sure wouldn't want to get hit in one. The Encore GX is more pleasant to drive, more versatile, and reasonably safe in an accident.
Nobody is comparing the two.

I never did understand the reason Toyota introduced that vehicle in the U.S. Small, cramped, IMO one of the most awkward-looking vehicles on the market. No AWD available despite the fact that it is a crossover. And, most unusual for a Toyota, the first one I looked at and sat in, on a dealer lot, had trim pieces on the dash that were not only never installed properly, but were sprung and misaligned to the point that they actually partially-blocked the engine-start button. I tried to fix it myself, but could only partially do so.
They sell well. I think its a cool looking little vehicle.
Old 03-19-22, 12:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A 1990s RAV4 vs a 2022 RAV4...the RAV4 is much larger.
But this is because there was no "crossover" vehicle below a RAV4 in the 1990s. The reason the RAV4 has grown is because they have moved the RAV4 upsized and upscale, with more vehicle choices below.

This isn't just a Toyota thing. Look, for example, at the BMW 3 vs 5 Series. A current 3-Series is as big (or maybe bigger) than a late 1990s/early 2000s 5-Series. But there is now a 2-Series below the 3-Series for those looking at a smaller car. Same with Audi A3 and MB CLA.

Automakers may not be able to get a RAV4 loyalist to move up to a Highlander; but they can keep upselling that buyer with a bigger, more equipped and more expensive RAV4...if they offer something below the RAV4 for the entry-level buyer. Like, say, a Corolla Cross.

True, but the CHR replaced smaller Hondas. No more Honda Fit.
You mean the HR-V? This is exactly the point. When the CR-V debuted, that was the "entry level" Honda crossover.
Old 03-19-22, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They sell well. I think its a cool looking little vehicle.
I'll strongly disagree, but I respect the fact that styling is subjective.
Old 03-19-22, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'll strongly disagree, but I respect the fact that styling is subjective.
The fact that they sell well isn't something that can be agreed or disagreed with, it does in fact sell well.
Old 03-19-22, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that they sell well isn't something that can be agreed or disagreed with, it does in fact sell well.

That wasn't what I was disagreeing with. I was saying I don't agree with your view of it's "cool" styling. I'm also not impressed with the fact that Toyota didn't give the American market versions an AWD option. That is one of the reasons for buying a crossover to start with, though not the only one. It did, however, seem to sell in decent numbers for a FWD-only crossover.
Old 03-19-22, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That wasn't what I was disagreeing with. I was saying I don't agree with your view of it's "cool" styling. I'm also not impressed with the fact that Toyota didn't give the American market versions an AWD option. That is one of the reasons for buying a crossover to start with, though not the only one. It did, however, seem to sell in decent numbers for a FWD-only crossover.
You're not the market demographic for the car. One of the support people at my company is 27 and she just bought one and loves it, the styling is why she bought it. Its not really a crossover, its a kind of car hybrid thing.
Old 03-19-22, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're not the market demographic for the car. One of the support people at my company is 27 and she just bought one and loves it, the styling is why she bought it. Its not really a crossover, its a kind of car hybrid thing.

Most reviewers consider it a crossover.
Old 03-20-22, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Most reviewers consider it a crossover.
But its not really...
Old 03-20-22, 08:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That was probably done on purpose. Toyota was hell-bent on selling RAV4 to anyone who would buy, they were made in North America, free from tariffs and any such currency exchanges. it made sense. CHR offers, two different turbos engines, naturally aspirated I4s, they have not one but two different hybrid systems available. Awd drive available as well. It is the same chassis as the UX, and Toyota sells more of those for a higher profit. US CH-R used the old and ancient 2.0l engine as well. But its a moot point now because Toyota has the very well revived
Old 03-20-22, 08:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its designed to appeal to young first car buyers, and it does that well. If my kids wanted one, I'd buy one.
Old 03-20-22, 09:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its designed to appeal to young first car buyers, and it does that well. If my kids wanted one, I'd buy one.
I agree. It was also supposed to be a Scion

Quick Reply: Buick Encore, Chevy Trax reportedly dead after 2022