Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22 | 08:01 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Probably just due to inflation. I remember the brouhaha about Tesla insurance costs a couple years ago. Some were insisting that the insurance is double most cars and it just wasn't true. Tesla is about the same as any other car in its segment. I pay $50 more per year for my Model 3 Performance vs. my old IS350 F-sport and I have double the horsepower

Did you get a GEICO quote? They are laughably bad where I live on costs...they were literally double what the other companies quoted for insurance.
I didn’t try Geico and probably won’t. I just thought maybe State Farm was inflating my premiums since some say when you are a long time customer they will inflate their rates and you should shop around. Well it seems pretty clear that my rates are much better than I thought.
Old 03-20-23 | 08:05 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Insurance is going up $40 a month on our policy. Just awesome.
Old 03-20-23 | 08:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
mine dropped about $85 per month
Old 03-20-23 | 08:29 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
mine dropped about $85 per month
Wow, that is a big drop. Wonder how many folks had their policy increase when it was time to renew.
Old 03-20-23 | 08:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, that is a big drop. Wonder how many folks had their policy increase when it was time to renew.
yeah. I went with Costco. The difference was stunning. When I called to cancel my insurance on the last day, the lady on the phone from my old company seemed offended when I said “no reason” for the cancellation. When she said “would you like to review the premium?” And I said “no”. She was super offended. Actions speak louder than words.
Old 03-20-23 | 08:39 PM
xjokerz
Racer

We'll have to give Costco a try. I've never heard of them doing auto insurance but I guess they do. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've worked hard on slowing down and not racking up speeding tickets like I did (last one in summer of 2020) so I was really disappointed when the rate went up.
Old 03-20-23 | 08:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I've worked hard on slowing down and not racking up speeding tickets like I did (last one in summer of 2020) so I was really disappointed when the rate went up.
I haven’t really sped in years. I mean I got a ticket for going 7.5 miles over the other day, but must be like 10 years since I have driven aggressively or really sped. I can easily go the speed limit on the highway and let everyone pass …. It’s a skill to drive a long distance and never ever have to brake. I drove from Quebec City to Toronto last year, drove the limit and never used the brake on the highway. In like 8 hours
Old 03-20-23 | 08:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Deleted…. …
Old 03-20-23 | 09:07 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I haven’t really sped in years. I mean I got a ticket for going 7.5 miles over the other day, but must be like 10 years since I have driven aggressively or really sped. I can easily go the speed limit on the highway and let everyone pass …. It’s a skill to drive a long distance and never ever have to brake. I drove from Quebec City to Toronto last year, drove the limit and never used the brake on the highway. In like 8 hours
That ticket was crazy. All of Canada must be pretty strict when it comes to that.

I've really slowed down too. If I run into a line of traffic going even slower (I'm talking 45-50 in a 55) than me, I've began in the last couple years to pull over and let them get way ahead. I'll get back on the highway when I see another car coming maybe a half mile behind me. If they want to pass (and catch up to that slow line lol) because I'm not going fast enough (55-60) then that's their problem. I get a lot of anxiety when someone is following me closely, particularly a big giant truck.
Old 03-21-23 | 03:23 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

My policies were going up more and more over the last year. I was paying about $5,000 a year for three cars. I finally had enough and changed insurance companies and now pay about $2,200 for the three cars now. When I called to cancel my agent didn’t say much other than she would’ve changed too.
Old 03-21-23 | 07:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Mine just did and with USAA, called them and it had to do with increases in uninsured motorists and liability in my area.
Old 03-22-23 | 05:39 PM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Insurance companies penalize customers for staying with them a long time. I would shop around amongst well known and regarded companies.
This is absolutely correct. All the major insurers now set their rates with algorithms that predict how much of a price hike you'll tolerate before you switch, knowing most people find switching a pain in the neck. If you stay, your rates will keep rising. This is why nearly every company can claim in ads that "switch to us and your rates will drop." Yes, until a few years later. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Annoying and inconvenient as it is, the smart way to play it is to price-shop, and usually switch, every few years among a small group of companies that are shown in surveys to provide superior service. Very few of those are the most popular ones. Again and again, the ones who come out on top for claims satisfaction are USAA, Amica, and below them a small group that includes Erie and Auto Owners.

I used to provide services for an auto insurer who isn't in this group. Hope this helps somebody.
Old 03-22-23 | 07:19 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFinally
This is absolutely correct. All the major insurers now set their rates with algorithms that predict how much of a price hike you'll tolerate before you switch, knowing most people find switching a pain in the neck. If you stay, your rates will keep rising. This is why nearly every company can claim in ads that "switch to us and your rates will drop." Yes, until a few years later. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Annoying and inconvenient as it is, the smart way to play it is to price-shop, and usually switch, every few years among a small group of companies that are shown in surveys to provide superior service. Very few of those are the most popular ones. Again and again, the ones who come out on top for claims satisfaction are USAA, Amica, and below them a small group that includes Erie and Auto Owners.

I used to provide services for an auto insurer who isn't in this group. Hope this helps somebody.
Yup I found out the hard way that I had to switch insurance companies. I always used State Farm and would check my rates with USAA and it was always close to what I was paying. I switched to Erie and it was way cheaper. The other thing to note is while claim satisfaction with USAA is great, from a friend of mine that runs a body shop, Erie is the best for the shops to work with because they don’t fight the body shop to fix things correctly compared to others including USAA.
Old 03-22-23 | 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFinally
All the major insurers now set their rates with algorithms that predict how much of a price hike you'll tolerate before you switch, knowing most people find switching a pain in the neck. If you stay, your rates will keep rising. This is why nearly every company can claim in ads that "switch to us and your rates will drop." Yes, until a few years later. Lather, rinse, repeat.

That was not the case for many years, definitely not with GEICO, who kept rates low for decades. But, sadly, in the last few years, there does now seem to be at least some evidence of it.

My brother has saved a lot of money with Allstate by agreeing to have his driving habits monitored. His friends and colleagues razzed him about losing his freedom and privacy, but the company apparantly likes his record and the way he drives......his latest statement showed a $400 savings.
Old 03-22-23 | 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

yeah. I went with Costco. The difference was stunning. When I called to cancel my insurance on the last day, the lady on the phone from my old company seemed offended when I said “no reason” for the cancellation. When she said “would you like to review the premium?” And I said “no”. She was super offended. Actions speak louder than words.
I would be offended, too, if a customer treated me like that. IMO that is rude...Instead of just a gruff "No", you could have at least said you have come to a decision to cancel, but would rather not talk about it for private or personal reasons....or told her you found something you think is a better value. I am a firm believer in treating others (even in buisness) the way you would want to be treated......the so-called Golden Rule.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-23 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Car insurance