Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23 | 09:50 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would be offended, too, if a customer treated me like that. IMO that is rude...Instead of just a gruff "No", you could have at least said you have come to a decision to cancel, but would rather not talk about it for private or personal reasons....or told her you found something you think is a better value. I am a firm believer in treating others (even in buisness) the way you would want to be treated......the so-called Golden Rule.
​​​​​​
I'm sure there was more to it than that. Some of those people can be a real hassle to deal with. That combined with knowing that your insurance got out of hand for no reason, and who knows. I bet she was probably peppered with all sorts of questions in her conversation. You don't know the context of it. Nobody does accept her so I doubt she was even rude.

For our policy, I'm going to do some looking around. Have had this seattle-based pemco for one year on the 1st of April but I'm going to see what else is out there. I also don't like this stupid auto pay. I like to be in control when I pay the bill, not some computer.
Old 03-22-23 | 09:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

my insurance (progressive) is up for renewal. i do 6 mos at a time and i think it's around $1200 so yeah, quite spendy (~$200/mo.) but that's for the hyundai santa fe as well as the lc500. i've heard insurance is higher on a leased vehicle and the santa fe is leased. does that rate sound kinda crazy high?

Old 03-22-23 | 10:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my insurance (progressive) is up for renewal. i do 6 mos at a time and i think it's around $1200 so yeah, quite spendy (~$200/mo.) but that's for the hyundai santa fe as well as the lc500. i've heard insurance is higher on a leased vehicle and the santa fe is leased. does that rate sound kinda crazy high?
No they doesn't seem too out of like for those two, Hyundais tend to have slightly more pricy insurance
Old 03-22-23 | 10:56 PM
xjokerz
Racer

That's the heist of the century compared to what I was doing at one point. With Progressive, in 2017 before we got a new RAV4, my wife and I were paying for a 2005 Camry, a 2007 Scion TC, and my mom's 96 Explorer, all with no comprehensive/collision, just 100/300/100k, if I remember was about 220 a month.
Old 03-23-23 | 05:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
That's the heist of the century compared to what I was doing at one point. With Progressive, in 2017 before we got a new RAV4, my wife and I were paying for a 2005 Camry, a 2007 Scion TC, and my mom's 96 Explorer, all with no comprehensive/collision, just 100/300/100k, if I remember was about 220 a month.
heist of the century? mine does have comprehensive/collision and respectfully, my vehicles (both '21s) would cost a lot more to repair than those vehicles.
Old 03-23-23 | 05:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

heist of the century? mine does have comprehensive/collision and respectfully, my vehicles (both '21s) would cost a lot more to repair than those vehicles.
I only have comp/collision on three of mine and it's stupid high for two of them....take a guess what two they are? My monthly is $430 ish
Old 03-23-23 | 06:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would be offended, too, if a customer treated me like that. IMO that is rude...Instead of just a gruff "No", you could have at least said you have come to a decision to cancel, but would rather not talk about it for private or personal reasons....or told her you found something you think is a better value. I am a firm believer in treating others (even in buisness) the way you would want to be treated......the so-called Golden Rule.
There is nothing rude with not wanting to review the policy, she already found a replacement policy and i'm sure politely said no. Issue is when you go down the rabbit hole with them they try and talk you out of it and its annoying. No cause for the company employee to be offended.

If THAT behavior would offend you, you can't handle dealing with customers period lol

I would shop it
Old 03-23-23 | 06:07 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
This is absolutely correct. All the major insurers now set their rates with algorithms that predict how much of a price hike you'll tolerate before you switch, knowing most people find switching a pain in the neck. If you stay, your rates will keep rising. This is why nearly every company can claim in ads that "switch to us and your rates will drop." Yes, until a few years later. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Annoying and inconvenient as it is, the smart way to play it is to price-shop, and usually switch, every few years among a small group of companies that are shown in surveys to provide superior service. Very few of those are the most popular ones. Again and again, the ones who come out on top for claims satisfaction are USAA, Amica, and below them a small group that includes Erie and Auto Owners.

I used to provide services for an auto insurer who isn't in this group. Hope this helps somebody.
First, re the insurance company rates. Rates have to be approved by the individual state Insurance Departments. Companies have to justify their rate increases to the states. Companies file rate requests multiple times per year. Last year was terrible for auto insurance companies. Even though rates were increased, they were not increased sufficiently to offset the high claims costs (known as severity in the industry). Now they are trying to recoup those losses through higher rates. So it is not a company unabated directly trying to get the most money out of a customer.

As to the shopping. You should definitely shop. This is where having a good independent agent is handy (although you still need to watch them). As mentioned above, rates are approved by states. So are discounts. There could be subsequent discounts that you qualify for but are not going to be applied automatically. I’ve posted before that this happened to me with an agent. My agent at the time had a key employee retire and for a couple of years there were no changes to my policies. I received a cold call from another agent who offered to review my policy. Bottom line, new agent, same insurance company (Travelers), but substantial savings by applying new discounts for which I qualified.
Old 03-23-23 | 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah its not a business model that is not unique to insurance companies, they use lower rates and additional discounts to close new business, and older customers they let the rates creep up just enough that they hopefully don't lose them. Its not "wrong" of insurance companies, they have a business rationale that is logical, but as a consumer its not wrong to want to pay the least too.

I don't care about paying the LEAST. If I am happy with coverage and my agent and the company I won't switch for $500....but $1,500? Hard to argue with that.

You should review all your recurring services because they all do that. Insurance, cable, other services like lawn services and pest control, all those types of things you pay you wind up over time paying way more than a new customer to that company is paying for the same thing.
Old 03-23-23 | 06:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

It's a business, not a friendship. You don't owe the insurance company a reason for taking your business elsewhere. And if you told that call center worker, it's not like they are going to hang up and report to the top executives why you left.

It's a tactic to keep you one the phone and engaged, so that maybe you'll relent.
Old 03-23-23 | 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's a tactic to keep you one the phone and engaged, so that maybe you'll relent.
Thats exactly what it is, and sometimes its really frustrating trying to cancel when they keep throwing ridiculous stuff at you to get you to stay. Its like cancelling XM Radio, no, I just want to cancel...I don't even want it for free...
Old 03-23-23 | 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

If THAT behavior would offend you, you can't handle dealing with customers period lol
First, I don't deal with customers....I am not an agent. Second, I am courteous enough to put myself in the position of those who do, and act and speak accordingly. The world does not revolve around us as customers.....or agents.

Old 03-23-23 | 10:30 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Yeah, what I meant by that was how inexpensive, all things considered, your policy is compared to what I was paying.

Heist of the century = a steal of a deal. Heard it somewhere over the years. Lol
Old 03-23-23 | 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

First, I don't deal with customers....I am not an agent. Second, I am courteous enough to put myself in the position of those who do, and act and speak accordingly. The world does not revolve around us as customers.....or agents.
You miss my point...customers are far more rude than simply not being interested in discussing why they are cancelling their service. Im sure Jill was kind and courteous.
Old 03-23-23 | 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

she asked and I answered “no reason” and then she asked to discuss the financials and I said “no”

maybe the point is being missed here. Actions speak louder than words. At least I believe so.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You miss my point...customers are far more rude than simply not being interested in discussing why they are cancelling their service. Im sure Jill was kind and courteous.
Yup. I called on the very last day too before renewal. They have been trying to contact me for quite a while to pay, a month ahead of time. I just didn’t answer. I wasn’t rude, I was firm.

it would take an idiot, to wonder why I had cancelled my insurance, and not know the reason. It’s about money.

Quick Reply: Car insurance