Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone planning to buy a V8 before its too late?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 02:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not for nothing, but if the LS430 was still in production, completely unchanged, I'd totally get it over many modern "bunkers". The only thing I'd like to add to it is aux audio input.

Old 03-31-22, 03:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

(about a car being 'buttery')...

That's not what I mean by buttery. I mean just how they sweat the details with the feel of the *****, steering, gas pedal, shifting feel, the purr of the ENGINE (not silent EV) just everything about it combines to make it a near perfect luxury car IMO, provided you don't rush it up and down mountains every day to work. LS430 for just a cruise mobile, pure pampering, is hard to beat.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-31-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-31-22, 04:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Anyone planning to buy a V8 before its too late?!-i1qa1vb.jpg
Old 03-31-22, 05:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL I like that! Baby V8. Just get that guy with the turbo to be gone
Old 03-31-22, 05:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

One turbo is not gonna cut it, you need to bring two!
Old 03-31-22, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Thanks, I do enjoy even just knowing it's there.. It's free. You'd literally be unhappy if you had an owned free and clear creampuff older Lexus, back when Lexus was still at/near the top? LS430 is a hell of a car, even though it's old as dirt. Maybe you are so used to having payments? Yes it's old but it drives just like the old Lexus' do, complete cloud isolation chamber. Still as soothing as it ever was. It costs $20/mo to insure it and whatever gas, that's it. Not saying it would be your preferred client car, though why not actually. Several of my neighbors compliment it all the time, they "get" why I leave it in the garage and LX outside. Especially since I threw the stock chrome rims on. A car can be a time capsule, my LS will be a classic one day. You just have to have all that new tech which I understand, and you are fine with a monthly payment indefinitely. The way I see it is I have a free Lexus in the garage, LS430 at that. We put less than 7k miles on both cars combined in a year. No need at all to have all these new tech laden vehicles.... Now spending big bucks on a boat is a different story which probably makes ZERO sense to some of you.
I don't like old cars, and have no desire to have an old car. My car payments have little to no impact on me financially. I'm glad you like it, but I had one when it was new and had the opportunity to keep it and chose not to. I just like new cars.

They made so many LS430s, its not likely to be a classic.

As for your boat, it makes total sense to me why you would spend money on a boat. You want it, have the money, and will enjoy it. Its the same thing for those of us who buy used cars. Lots of people prefer older "classic" boats, you chose to buy a new one. Its the same thing. Nothing anybody spends money on "doesnt make sense to me". People just have different things they focus on.
Old 03-31-22, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Thanks, I do enjoy even just knowing it's there.. It's free. You'd literally be unhappy if you had an owned free and clear creampuff older Lexus, back when Lexus was still at/near the top? LS430 is a hell of a car, even though it's old as dirt. Maybe you are so used to having payments? Yes it's old but it drives just like the old Lexus' do, complete cloud isolation chamber. Still as soothing as it ever was. It costs $20/mo to insure it and whatever gas, that's it. Not saying it would be your preferred client car, though why not actually. Several of my neighbors compliment it all the time, they "get" why I leave it in the garage and LX outside. Especially since I threw the stock chrome rims on. A car can be a time capsule, my LS will be a classic one day. You just have to have all that new tech which I understand, and you are fine with a monthly payment indefinitely. The way I see it is I have a free Lexus in the garage, LS430 at that. We put less than 7k miles on both cars combined in a year. No need at all to have all these new tech laden vehicles.... Now spending big bucks on a boat is a different story which probably makes ZERO sense to some of you.

No, it lacks many new features but the V8 and powertrain in general you mentioned is better than having all of that, to me at least. LS430 is so smooth and silky it's ridiculous, everything about it is so buttery. They don't make them like they used to. I would love to drive new luxury cars just to see if they can top (or how much better) how silky the suspension rebound is at interstate speeds at certain expansion bumps in town, yes even 20 years later. There are TONS of LS430s still around here, in very good to excellent shape at that. It's okay for a car to be a time capsule like I said. . Other than shiny wood being dated, I would put the wood in an LS430 up against virtually any luxury car today in terms of just sheer beauty and awe. Build quality, as well, I don't think an LS430 can be topped. Equalled maybe but not topped.

Glad you enjoy that 5.0. I'm sure it's fantastic.
Nice post. I agree with you. I will never have a monthly car payment. My V8 4R is the most pleasurable ride. No tech to distract me like the 21…..and super silky 4.7 V8….the best Toyota V8 ever made
Old 03-31-22, 05:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nice post. I agree with you. I will never have a monthly car payment. My V8 4R is the most pleasurable ride. No tech to distract me like the 21…..and super silky 4.7 V8….the best Toyota V8 ever made
The money I would have spent on buying my cars in cash invested has made enough return to buy another car, so I love my car payments lol
Old 03-31-22, 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Ok, my bad... let's end any discussion of EVs in this thread going forward, thank you.

i moved posts relating to whether EVs or luxury ICE cars are quieter here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-vehicles.html

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-31-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-01-22, 07:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The money I would have spent on buying my cars in cash invested has made enough return to buy another car, so I love my car payments lol
I feel like I have this conversation often with people (not directed at anyone in this thread) that claim some sort of superiority by not having a car payment. With super low interest rates even on used cars it's been a complete non-issue. The money I've invested instead has always netted me more money than I've spent on interest.
Old 04-01-22, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I feel like I have this conversation often with people (not directed at anyone in this thread) that claim some sort of superiority by not having a car payment. With super low interest rates even on used cars it's been a complete non-issue. The money I've invested instead has always netted me more money than I've spent on interest.
Oh I would direct it at certain people in this thread lol

Its absolutely a "superiority" claim.
Old 04-01-22, 07:54 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Rates are so out of line you actually make money right now with a car loan lol! I went that route for my 460 since it was so cheap and I've made 6k since buying it, it will soon have paid for itself with the lump sum not used to buy it outright.

This will change when interest rates hit 20%+ though
Old 04-01-22, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
This will change when interest rates hit 20%+ though
They wont lol
Old 04-01-22, 09:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

They wont lol
They had better. If they don't there will be a major issue.
Old 04-01-22, 10:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't like old cars, and have no desire to have an old car. My car payments have little to no impact on me financially. I'm glad you like it, but I had one when it was new and had the opportunity to keep it and chose not to. I just like new cars.

They made so many LS430s, its not likely to be a classic.
I don't mean rolling money pile investment classic, just at 25 years cars technically become classics. It will still be in my garage in 2029 for sure.

As for your boat, it makes total sense to me why you would spend money on a boat. You want it, have the money, and will enjoy it. Its the same thing for those of us who buy used cars. Lots of people prefer older "classic" boats, you chose to buy a new one. Its the same thing. Nothing anybody spends money on "doesnt make sense to me". People just have different things they focus on.
Not quite. People who buy "old classic boats" know what they're getting into, or they should at least if they want to keep enjoying life. The precise reason I bought new is to not deal with headaches, it's not the same as a used car...at all. Me personally I can drive a used car and in 30 seconds tell if it's junk or not. Boats aren't that easy. They're money pits even when brand new (gas, food, ice, booze, maintenance, dock lease), so a used boat was out of the question, and we bought new. I've shared my driving habits, how we don't go anywhere just piddle around town which is one of the reasons old cars don't matter to us (I prefer my LS to the 500 and my LX to the new 300 regardless of tech and values). Keep a high end Lexus in great shape it's still feels new inside minus tech.

Quick Reply: Anyone planning to buy a V8 before its too late?!