Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone planning to buy a V8 before its too late?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 09:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Anyone planning to buy a V8 before its too late?!

I know most of the topics on CL are about new EVs but this is the opposite of that.

Having been into sports/performance cars all my life, i have actually never owned a V8. Most of the cars i have owned were either inline 6s or 4cyl. I have always planned on getting a V8, V10 and V12 cars but unfortunately the German automakers like BMW M went away from great sounding motors and more to crazy HP turbo engines. Even the exotics like Ferrari and McLaren now only offer turbo V8s.

The future looks even worse with turbo / hybrid V6s replacing the V8 turbos and then most likely EVs replacing everything else.

Basically I want a raw sounding V8 motor from the factory without having to modify the exhaust, headers etc. I want something that is brand new as finding a used car is time consuming and you always have to compromise on colors/options.

Unfortunately most people have realized this as well and most desirable cars have huge waitlists plus markups.

Well here are the NEW cars that I’m considering:
C8 Z06 - on waitlist but may never happen
Mustang Mach1 - build quality is crap
Lexus LC500 - can’t option it the way i want
Jaguar Ftype - not sure if value is there
Aston Martin Vantage / MB AMG-GT - more of a GT than a sports car, hard to see out of it
Audi R8 - its a V10 so even better. Not “Audi” fan and not crazy on the looks
Huracan - also a V10, too much $$$
Dodge Hellcat - might be too big, interior is dated
Regular C8 - might be most realistic option if Z06 doesn’t materialize

Anything I’m missing and are you planning to get one last V8?

Old 03-27-22, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

that's why i got my LC a year ago... and thankfully before prices went mad.

what lc500 option config do you want that you can't get?
Old 03-27-22, 09:48 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I have a few already......

I will soon add two more, another LS460 for the wife and a S8 to replace the A8, my crown jewel though will be a pushrod V10 with a pair of turbos. I'm also temped to get a high revver like a S63 or S85 but I don't really want to deal with the issues those have, plus if I decide I want that it makes much more sense to get a C5/6 and build it for 9k RPM since it won't break constantly, I buy used so it always takes a long time to find one with the right options and cosmetics. Plus side with a C5/6 is that it doesn't matter since it would just be a car I take to mid ohio and abuse!
Old 03-27-22, 09:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

mom has a LC500, I got the Hemi Ram and V10 Viper
Old 03-27-22, 10:04 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Seeing that you already have a bunch of sport cars, why not get a V8 sedan, such as an AMG S class?
Old 03-27-22, 10:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Seeing that you already have a bunch of sport cars, why not get a V8 sedan, such as an AMG S class?
He wants a new car, that would severely limit him since the goal is loud and raw, the Z06 that is coming is a good one if you can somehow lock one in but other than that options are limited since he also doesn't want to mod it. Really kind of stuck with few paths since the the ford is considered badly built by OP so that means it had to have a really hard to get combo of aspects for current new cars, the F type is a great one for the noise and emotion but it is built horribly.
Old 03-27-22, 10:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a V8. Will keep it as long as it lasts. If Toyota had a new V8 in the 4R. I would have paid extra.
Old 03-27-22, 10:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
He wants a new car, that would severely limit him since the goal is loud and raw, the Z06 that is coming is a good one if you can somehow lock one in but other than that options are limited since he also doesn't want to mod it. Really kind of stuck with few paths since the the ford is considered badly built by OP so that means it had to have a really hard to get combo of aspects for current new cars, the F type is a great one for the noise and emotion but it is built horribly.
Pretty much all the cars on his list are compromised in one way or another. A regular C8 might be the best option, the Z06 and the Hellcat are too ridiculous, and others are just blah.
Old 03-27-22, 10:46 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm definitely getting an IS 500. When I look on Autotrader there's only about 40 nationwide with about 10-12 of them being in Puerto Rico. Tough car to get right now.

Of course Lexus could have made this a hell of a lot easier by putting the V8 in the 3IS when it debuted. I could have gotten my V8 fix 8 years ago.
Old 03-27-22, 10:57 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Pretty much all the cars on his list are compromised in one way or another. A regular C8 might be the best option, the Z06 and the Hellcat are too ridiculous, and others are just blah.
Actually I noticed he missed the IS500, maybe that is good enough? This is hard since he has the new/no mods restriction
Old 03-27-22, 11:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's why i got my LC a year ago... and thankfully before prices went mad.

what lc500 option config do you want that you can't get?
Smart man!
Dream spec would be the Performance package with nice blue exterior color and black interior. The chrome trim blacked out. Also not a big fan of the standard wheels. Out of the available colors, i would only choose the Red probably. The special edition cars they offer are nice but can’t pair them with Performance pack…..
Old 03-27-22, 11:27 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Not a fan of soft riding / heavy luxury cars. My parents have S560 which i have driven and it’s definitely not my cup of tea.

I have thought about getting the last of the current gen 750i or M550i sedans to replace my X3 lease but it would depend on the lease deal i can get.
Old 03-27-22, 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Dream spec would be the Performance package with nice blue exterior color and black interior. The chrome trim blacked out. Also not a big fan of the standard wheels. Out of the available colors, i would only choose the Red probably. The special edition cars they offer are nice but can’t pair them with Performance pack…..
understand! the nightfall mica is a dark blue, and incredible how it changes in light/dark.
the inspiration blue is amazing for sure, and yes, too bad they can't be had with the perf pack.
i am so glad i got the perf pack - the vgrs/rws steering is unreal.

the exhaust is so nicely tuned and the car cracks off fast shifts when going for it.

sure, other cars might be faster, but it's plenty fast enough for me... can exceed any speed limit in a few seconds. more importantly to me, is how it looks, how it's made, and how it's likely to be very reliable.
Old 03-27-22, 12:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Actually I noticed he missed the IS500, maybe that is good enough? This is hard since he has the new/no mods restriction
IS500 is nice but i have my F80 M3 which is a sedan.
Also - I would much rather have the LC500 if i go the Lexus route.
Old 03-27-22, 12:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
understand! the nightfall mica is a dark blue, and incredible how it changes in light/dark.
the inspiration blue is amazing for sure, and yes, too bad they can't be had with the perf pack.
i am so glad i got the perf pack - the vgrs/rws steering is unreal.

the exhaust is so nicely tuned and the car cracks off fast shifts when going for it.

sure, other cars might be faster, but it's plenty fast enough for me... can exceed any speed limit in a few seconds. more importantly to me, is how it looks, how it's made, and how it's likely to be very reliable.
The LC500 is great with rear wheel steer, it makes huge difference. I have this on my 911.
Wish it would be available in a medium blue - the dark blue is too dark. They also took away the nice Silver color for 2022.

The exhaust with the 10speed sounds great on downshifts and agreed the build quality is amazing for the price.

Quick Reply: Anyone planning to buy a V8 before its too late?!