Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EV batteries should last for about 15 Years

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 12:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
That 15 years really depends. How many times was it charged, what climate you live in, how many "fast charges" the battery had, if the battery was charged with damaged equipment, etc.

When electricity rates inevitably go up and gas prices go down (they are bound to sooner than later) it's not going to be such a big advantage over gas.
Electricity rates are rising, no doubt, but even if they double, they will never reach the level of gasoline. But let's use a scenario that electricity is the same price as gas...EV's are so efficient that that they will still cost less to drive. My Polestar has 408 HP, yet has better MPG than a Corolla or Civic (85 MPGe combined). If you want more details on how efficient it's been over 3 months and 2000 miles, just see my Polestar thread
Old 03-29-22, 12:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Good thing gas prices are not going to the moon.
Let me tell you what's funny about the whole gas price dilema. I've heard a lot of people on this forum, and other forums say that they really don't care how expensive gasoline is, how much MPG's their cars get, how gas prices don't affect them, blah, blah, blah. Now I'm starting to see the whispering getting louder. People who are making easily six figures are mentioning how much it costs to fill up their tanks. The cost of gas may not be hurting some people's pocket books (what's another $400 to $500 a month?), but they are noticing it for sure, and there are people I know who portfolios are as big as Elon's ego adjusting their driving habits by taking their Tesla's to work LOL
Old 03-29-22, 01:03 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Electricity rates are rising, no doubt, but even if they double, they will never reach the level of gasoline. But let's use a scenario that electricity is the same price as gas...EV's are so efficient that that they will still cost less to drive. My Polestar has 408 HP, yet has better MPG than a Corolla or Civic (85 MPGe combined). If you want more details on how efficient it's been over 3 months and 2000 miles, just see my Polestar thread
I read it. So you paid $109 to charge your Polestar to get 2,000 miles out of it? I did the math and determined that you didn't pay for the little bit of charging away from your house. Aren't companies going to make it to where you charge for the electricity you use at a public charging station?
Old 03-29-22, 01:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I read it. So you paid $109 to charge your Polestar to get 2,000 miles out of it? I did the math and determined that you didn't pay for the little bit of charging away from your house. Aren't companies going to make it to where you charge for the electricity you use at a public charging station?
Yes, they do charge money for using their chargers, but I get two years free charging with Electrify America, which is why I subtracted the charging I got from EA. For guests they charge .43 cents per kWh, and if you become a member ($4 a month) they charge .30 cents a KwH. There are also other companies like EVgo and ChargePoint that charge around .20 to .25 cents per kWh
Old 03-29-22, 01:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

That 15 years really depends. How many times was it charged, what climate you live in, how many "fast charges" the battery had, if the battery was charged with damaged equipment, etc.

When electricity rates inevitably go up and gas prices go down (they are bound to sooner than later) it's not going to be such a big advantage over gas.

DC fast charging isn't having much of an impact on degradation. Out of Spec tested their Model 3 Performance which was tracked and DC charged for more than half its life. They got about 11% degradation after 100k miles which is inline with non-DC fast charged Teslas.

Others have tested it on Youtube and as long as the BMS actively heats/cools the battery effectively, fast charging degradation isn't that impactful. Simple fact is that if you get to near 300k miles before that 15 years, the batteries may be nearing the end of life. If you are at 100k miles and nearing 15 years, you will probably exceed the 15 years but calendar aging still takes place so a car that is 5 years old with 100k miles will still have much more life than a car that is 15 years old with 100k miles.

I save over $3k a year on fuel with my EV...when EVs get to price parity with gas cars, the advantage will be enormous for EV over ICE in terms of total cost of ownership.
Old 03-29-22, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

This is just never going to get to a point where it becomes no cheaper to charge an EV than to fill a car with gas.

The electric bill to run my entire 4,000 square foot home does not equal the cost to fuel ONE of my cars. Even if my electric bill tripled, it would still be cheaper to charge an EV vs fueling my cars.

Gas prices are not going to come down in a very meaningful way either.
Old 03-29-22, 01:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is just never going to get to a point where it becomes no cheaper to charge an EV than to fill a car with gas.

The electric bill to run my entire 4,000 square foot home does not equal the cost to fuel ONE of my cars. Even if my electric bill tripled, it would still be cheaper to charge an EV vs fueling my cars.

Old 03-29-22, 01:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Gas prices are going to collapse at some point, no demand=cheap. Could take 10 years but remember 10 years ago electric vehicles were barely a blip and predicted to have zero impact.
Old 03-29-22, 01:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Gas prices are going to collapse at some point, no demand=cheap. Could take 10 years but remember 10 years ago electric vehicles were barely a blip and predicted to have zero impact.
That will happen when there is no demand, but we have to see EVs gain a lot more market share before that happens.
Old 03-29-22, 01:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

On the flipside, it would cost a lot more to heat a home with electric vs NG/Oil.
Old 03-29-22, 02:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
On the flipside, it would cost a lot more to heat a home with electric vs NG/Oil.
Not in my case. My gas bill is tripple my electricity bill. And the price keeps rising
Old 03-29-22, 02:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,222 Likes on 908 Posts

Just like you can when you buy a petrol car right?
That's my whole point. These are simple vs those and so it should allow more end user choice and adjustability. Petrol cars DO allow you to put whatever you want in them engine wise if you carry it out, it will work and drive.
Old 03-29-22, 02:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,222 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
A hell of a lot more, electricity will get more and more expensive the more it tries to go green. Europe is a great real world example of this, Spain in particular.
Old 03-29-22, 02:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's my whole point. These are simple vs those and so it should allow more end user choice and adjustability. Petrol cars DO allow you to put whatever you want in them engine wise if you carry it out, it will work and drive.
People are retro fitting Tesla drivetrains into classic vehicles. It's way more flexible since the drive unit is very small compared to the petrol engine.
Old 03-29-22, 02:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
A hell of a lot more, electricity will get more and more expensive the more it tries to go green. Europe is a great real world example of this, Spain in particular.
There are tens of thousands of people in Spain that went bankrupt investing in "green" energy, lol.

Quick Reply: EV batteries should last for about 15 Years