Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EV batteries should last for about 15 Years

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 10:01 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Gas prices are going to collapse at some point, no demand=cheap. Could take 10 years but remember 10 years ago electric vehicles were barely a blip and predicted to have zero impact.
Gas prices will only collapse when it isn’t bought at all. This is because as demand goes down, so will production, and gas will lose its economy of scale. When you make a limited amount of something, it’s costs more to make it per unit, and you need more profit per unit. The less gas the economy needs, the less will be made. The cost of fuel will at best stay the same over a long period of time. It will likely increase. It’s basic economics. Fuel is a worldwide economy of scale. If you kill the mass scale, the price per unit will go up.

Originally Posted by 703
It doesn’t really matter how many miles you drive. Toyota hybrid batteries start failing exponentially after 15 years too.
Im pro EV, but this is my issue. I have a low mileage 08 and low mileage 13 Lexus. Both are in top shape and could be mistaken for a few years old. As long as fuel and basic maintenance parts are available, my cars will run. For someone like me, EVs make sense from a practicality point of view, but never economically. I can buy used, low
mileage, well cared for 10-12 year old Lexus vehicles and still drive them another 15 years.

A 10-12 year old EV or hybrid isn’t a good deal even with low mileage. It’ll need a battery soon.

Replacing something for a couple grand, I won’t be super mad… but we’re talking about a 10-25k replacement cost here.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 04-01-22 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-01-22, 10:12 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I had the same concern, but it turns out this isn't as big a problem as you'd think. Peak summer power usage happens during the daytime heat, and most charging is overnight, so the additional charging capacity needed turns out not to be that bad.

Now, the comment about having to invest in chargers everywhere is still valid, for sure. As we stand now, nobody who parks in the street can use an electric car, and I'm sure rural areas are screwed without massive government aid to install the infrastructure as well. And as we all know, the country that sent a man to the moon no longer has the appetite for large public expenditures that it used to.
If everyone adopts the mindset of charging at night, that won't be good for the electrical grid either. Major improvements and massive spending is going to be needed. By massive we're talking trillions.
Old 04-01-22, 10:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Gas prices will only collapse when it isn’t bought at all. This is because as demand goes down, so will production, and gas will lose its economy of scale. When you make a limited amount of something, it’s costs more to make it per unit, and you need more profit per unit. The less gas the economy needs, the less will be made. The cost of fuel will at best stay the same over a long period of time. It will likely increase. It’s basic economics. Fuel is a worldwide economy of scale. If you kill the mass scale, the price per unit will go up.
You neglected the most critical component, companies and in some cases by extension governments that are reliant on oil revenue. They will keep producing and milking their cash cow for as long as possible even when demand and price is bottoming out. If they keep trying to charge high prices it will push people to cars that don't use petrol even faster.

We'll revisit this at some point see what prediction was correct.
Old 04-01-22, 10:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
If everyone adopts the mindset of charging at night, that won't be good for the electrical grid either. Major improvements and massive spending is going to be needed. By massive we're talking trillions.
Some food for thought.

Old 04-02-22, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Replacing something for a couple grand, I won’t be super mad… but we’re talking about a 10-25k replacement cost here.
Thats the point, you will be able to replace these batteries for a couple grand as technology improves and costs come down and an industry selling replacement batteries starts to emerge.

You can replace Prius batteries now for $1,000 or so
Old 04-02-22, 08:10 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

This is incorrect. Oil company profits are very high; producers could charge less and still make profit.
I suggest you consider "Price Elasticity", which speaks to consumption with respect to price.
Price elasticity of demand is a measurement of the change in the consumption of a product in relation to a change in its price.
Gasoline is highly inelastic, that is we will continue to buy it (consumption), generally because we need it and there are few viable alternatives, even if the price rises.