Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus owners section of Lexus Corp site

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 04:31 PM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus owners section of Lexus Corp site

After I bought my RX330, since I had poked around quite a bit on the Lexus Corporate Site, I was sort of eager to go in and register my vehicle and see what was in there for owners.

Anyway, you basically type in your VIN number, give them some personal info, and you get an account. When you login, there's an area called "my garage" where you can track information about your Lexus vehicle(s), etc.

So here are a few questions/comments:
  • In "my garage" when I bring up my RX330, there's no picture of an RX330... just sort of a blurry shot of a strip of road. Does it do this for anyone else? What does it MEAN?
  • When I was first registering my car, I typed in the VIN and a screen came up with all the basic info, including the color of my RX. However, in the "my garage" version, the color is blank... there's nothing there. Maybe this is related to the first item.
  • In my opinion, there are really only a couple of valuable things about registering there: you can keep your address up-to-date with Lexus (okay, so that's not REALLY valulable), and you can do searches through the full text of the owners manual (although those are provided in PDF format, not HTML). Since the index for the paper version of the owners manual is so lame, this is actually kind of useful.
  • Somewhere in there, it calls my AWD RX330 a "4x4 WAGON" -- A wagon? Come on! This is from Lexus. THEY are calling my RX330 a WAGON. I'd punch somebody in the mouth for less ... well, if I were a violent person...

If there has been a thread about this in the past, I apologize.

Last edited by pdxmark2; 10-09-03 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-09-03, 05:31 PM
cyprian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here on all bullets. I did post a question to Lexus customer support 3 weeks back regarding the "empty road" picture and the response I got was they'll fix it time but so far I have not seen a change yet.

With regard to the pdf version of the user manual, I think it may be an abridged version, my paper copy has pages not in the pdf version.

Cyprian
Old 10-09-03, 05:55 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: Lexus owners section of Lexus Corp site

I see the same thing here. It's been like this since I first registered (late March). I only go there for the manual searches also...

John
Old 10-09-03, 09:03 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Someone once posted that you can enter your VIN there and get info on your car. I can't seem to find that in there..
Old 10-10-03, 04:10 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I get a nice picture of a GS in my color, but I suspect the icon would be silver no matter what color of GS someone registers. I agree on all the other points, however--the "Owner's Garage" is pretty much useless!
Old 10-10-03, 09:53 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

I get the same thing when I go to the Owners' section. The other thing you're supposed to be able to do is put in your current mileage, and estimate your monthly or weekly mileage, and supposedly when you login again, the "odometer" should display an estimated mileage for your vehicle. I'm not sure if these estimated mileages are some type of trigger for service notifications or not.

A couple of other things:

1. At least when I registered my vehicle, it did not reflect 5-speed auto for the transmission, but 4-speed instead. File this in the same bin as the empty road .

2. The site is convenient if you wish to contact Lexus customer service. I had occasion to do this when I had requested the ECM Update on my 5K mile service, and my local dealership wasn't aware of it and/or claimed the TSB was for ES300. I mailed Lexus and they contacted my service advisor directly.

3. There is also a section in there where you can check to see if there are any recalls affecting your vehicle. I'm not sure if TSBs appear there (the ECM update wasn't there, but then again I didn't see the ECM update TSB listed on the NHTSA website either - it seems to be the "Mystery TSB"), but recalls are definitely listed.
Old 10-11-03, 11:17 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For my '96 ES, it shows a pic of a '96 ES, but it's pearl white (my car is Black Onyx). Guessing they have one stock photo for each model year, and they haven't taken the pic of the new RX330 yet . Info on the sidebar (color, year, transmission, preferred dealership) is all accurate.