Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota GR Corolla leaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 11:10 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Ouch, that's DOA then. Get a Tesla M3 instead or so many other options that are faster for that price point or near it, I doubt it will perform well enough to be worth considering for 45k or so
People that want to drive car likes this appreciate exhaust sound and manual transmission but you're recommending Tesla ?
Old 04-01-22, 11:18 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
People that want to drive car likes this appreciate exhaust sound and manual transmission but you're recommending Tesla ?
For 45k I would choose one of those over this yes, I would not get either of them for this price personally though but this car makes no sense at that price.
Old 04-01-22, 12:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

For 45k I would choose one of those over this yes, I would not get either of them for this price personally though but this car makes no sense at that price.
Its not all about the speed though right. Some want the experience of rowing their own gears and driving a hot hatch thats super reliable. Its the same as the RCF / GSF right. Those cars are just plain slooooow compared to their German rivals but some just want the V8 experience along with better reliability.
Old 04-01-22, 12:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its not all about the speed though right. Some want the experience of rowing their own gears and driving a hot hatch thats super reliable. Its the same as the RCF / GSF right. Those cars are just plain slooooow compared to their German rivals but some just want the V8 experience along with better reliability.
Those cars have a path to 850hp without engine out. This doesn't have much headroom over 350......it's not the same situation since it's so close to being maxed out from the factory you might as well get something that is locked from the factory.

Though you are right, I went with an A8 vs a GSF since it's nearly twice as fast for half the price.
Old 04-01-22, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Pretty impressive power train. 3200 curb weight with permanent all wheel drive. Torsen diffs as well. Did notice the manual parking brake. And no more buttons on the infotainment screen.
Old 04-01-22, 03:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

Thanks for the picture Hoovey. The interior looks good. I’m curious as to how hard it will be to get more power out of it. It would be cool to push 400-400 whp in the GR Corolla.
Old 04-01-22, 04:11 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deposits down. Hopefully can get the Circuit Edition in heavy metal color. Fortunate to have a selection of no ADM Toyota dealerships in the area. Long wait, just have to be patient.

Can't wait to see how the new Civic Type-R compares to this on the track.

Old 04-01-22, 05:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
Thanks for the picture Hoovey. The interior looks good. I’m curious as to how hard it will be to get more power out of it. It would be cool to push 400-400 whp in the GR Corolla.
You will need to fire ring the head and block for that level, it starts floating the head at 30 psi and the stock gasket gets layer separation at 25-27 psi. Kinda a pain to do when you can hit those numbers with stock hardware in an A6....
Old 04-01-22, 06:32 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 423 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I just bought an ISF after owning my IS350 for 9 years, I was about to sell the IS350 but I find my self driving the IS350 more and am having thoughts of selling the ISF. It's too fast. I like 0-80, which the IS350 is great for. the ISF is fun 40-140 but I let off at 80-90. 1st gear isn't as fun as the IS350 and I don't like risking a speeding ticket. My modded IS350 currently out handles my modded ISF in the canyons too so the ISF has been relatively boring to drive besides the better transmission and LSD. I may end up selling the ISF for the GR Corolla in a year or two, depending on the reviews.

Most people are focused on fast straight lines but I prefer fun corners, the LC500 Performance is more fun and engaging than my ISF but LC500 prices are wayy too high right now.
Old 04-01-22, 06:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bakalag
I just bought an ISF after owning my IS350 for 9 years, I was about to sell the IS350 but I find my self driving the IS350 more and am having thoughts of selling the ISF. It's too fast. I like 0-80, which the IS350 is great for. the ISF is fun 40-140 but I let off at 80-90. 1st gear isn't as fun as the IS350 and I don't like risking a speeding ticket. My modded IS350 currently out handles my modded ISF in the canyons too so the ISF has been relatively boring to drive besides the better transmission and LSD. I may end up selling the ISF for the GR Corolla in a year or two, depending on the reviews.

Most people are focused on fast straight lines but I prefer fun corners, the LC500 Performance is more fun and engaging than my ISF but LC500 prices are wayy too high right now.
If you have both get spherical bearing suspension for the ISF and put an IS350 ring and pinion in its diff.....makes it an animal
Old 04-01-22, 06:52 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice car. I like the interior, seats, and manual. Too bad it has a 3-cylinder. I'm sure some company out there is developing a twin-turbo two-cylinder with deactivation. *rolls eyes

Some people like to keep their cars longer than just 40-50k miles and the chances of a turbo 3-cylinder with 300 hp lasting a long time don't sound very promising. I've known some people with 3-cylinder's and their engines wore out with not a lot of mileage.
Old 04-01-22, 09:39 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Performance is performance and people should cross shop all options unless they have a very particular build in mind already, the M3 is an easy no effort needed reasonably fast street car that if you don't want to build at all fits the bill for some people.

I would not buy this over the Tesla for example, the 3 cyl is too limiting.
Those cars have a path to 850hp without engine out. This doesn't have much headroom over 350......it's not the same situation since it's so close to being maxed out from the factory you might as well get something that is locked from the factory.

Though you are right, I went with an A8 vs a GSF since it's nearly twice as fast for half the price.
You will need to fire ring the head and block for that level, it starts floating the head at 30 psi and the stock gasket gets layer separation at 25-27 psi. Kinda a pain to do when you can hit those numbers with stock hardware in an A6....
HKS threw a bigger turbo, 40 PSI, and then 100 shot of nitrous at it, and still couldn’t break the drive train in the Yaris GR. This drivetrain is extremely robust and built very well.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/12/...yota-gr-yaris/

Old 04-02-22, 01:39 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Nice car. I like the interior, seats, and manual. Too bad it has a 3-cylinder. I'm sure some company out there is developing a twin-turbo two-cylinder with deactivation. *rolls eyes

Some people like to keep their cars longer than just 40-50k miles and the chances of a turbo 3-cylinder with 300 hp lasting a long time don't sound very promising. I've known some people with 3-cylinder's and their engines wore out with not a lot of mileage.
This is your understanding of engine technology. Mine is implying that the displacement per cylinder is the center of the equation. We are not shocked of a 2L i4, 3L V6 and 4L V8, but this should be unreliable and not reaching 50K miles ? Especially from Toyota having longer mandatory life cycle on their engines and beeing tested more on reliability than any other buidler otu there ? The Yaris GR we have in Switzerland are reliable until now, more than the Alfa Giulia and other Kia Stinger. Hope this can help.
Old 04-02-22, 03:15 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Old 04-02-22, 04:36 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
thanks for posting. This is as close you will get to a street legal rally car. Toyota GR is doing some good work 👍

Quick Reply: Toyota GR Corolla leaked