Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are EVs quieter than luxury ICE vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 09:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet the EQS is marginally quieter than the S-class cruising down the highway. Its probably way quieter at WOT

In the end, the marginal decrease in noise level isn't that much more desireable (if at all) than an ICE. The benefit of the EV is the other driving characteristics like NVH and instant torque more than how quiet the drivetrain is at highway speeds. My Tesla is louder overall than my IS350 so powertrain noise is drowned out by the wind noise anyway.
Really? Your model 3 is louder than your IS350? For sure my Polestar is quieter than my IS, which runs around 2400 RPM at 80 MPH, and road noise is significantly more. Anyway, I'll concede to @Striker223 that the LS is quieter than my Polestar (in the cabin that is), but I'll leave any of them in the dust of soundless torque

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-01-22 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-01-22, 09:53 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not amplified it's just more noticeable because it's not drowned out by engine nvh.
+1

Road and wind noise may be more apparent with no engine noise to mask them, but "amplify" means they are physically louder.

My GS300 is a very quiet car for an ICE, but it's not as quiet as a Tesla at highway speeds.
Old 04-01-22, 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Really? Your model 3 is louder than your IS350?
i believe EZZ' model 3 is old enough that it doesn't have the dual pane side glass which would definitely help. but tesla clearly didn't put a lot of effort into wheel/road sound deadening. the dual pane glass will help with wind noise for sure. my santa fe has it my lc500 does not

just to be clear, when comparing highway cruising sound level, an ICE engine is usually a very small part of the overall noise level. it's mainly wind and tire/road noise.

Old 04-01-22, 10:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Really? Your model 3 is louder than your IS350? For sure my Polestar is quieter than my IS, which runs around 2400 RPM at 80 MPH, and road noise is significantly more. Anyway, I'll concede to @Striker223 that the LS is quieter than my Polestar (in the cabin that is), but I'll leave any of them in the dust of soundless torque
The Tesla 3 I test drove a summer ago was definitely not quite. Road and wind noise galore. Tire noise as well. It was fast though. I just googled P2 and road noise, there are definitely some complaints listed.
Old 04-01-22, 10:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

My car is quiet in city, noisy on highway. I'm sure the P2 is quieter than mine but the new Model 3s are quieter than my car. My Model 3 is quieter than my Odyssey so its not bad, just not Lexus levels.
Old 04-01-22, 10:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Tesla 3 I test drove a summer ago was definitely not quite. Road and wind noise galore. Tire noise as well. It was fast though. I just googled P2 and road noise, there are definitely some complaints listed.
There's always going to be "some" complainers. My P2 has very little road noise, It's quieter than all the Camry's I've owned, my IS350 and My Sienna
Old 04-01-22, 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would be very surprised if your Polestar is as quiet as an LS on the highway. That would make it one of the quietest cars ever made which I doubt.

High end Volvos for instance are not as quiet as an LS on the Highway.
No way the P2 is quieter than a LS lol…this is just the EV brigade getting out of hand. I’d be surprised if the drag coefficient of the P2 is under .30. . I believe the Navigator is quieter than a P2. It is more difficult and costly to make EVs quieter than cheaper gas cars.

i
Old 04-01-22, 10:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

No way the P2 is quieter than a LS lol…this is just the EV brigade getting out of hand. I’d be surprised if the drag coefficient of the P2 is under .30. . I believe the Navigator is quieter than a P2. It is more difficult and costly to make EVs quieter than cheaper gas cars.

i
I already conceded that my Polestar is not as quiet as an LS, which is an expensive luxury brand, but it is quieter than most other ICE cars in its class. Polestar is not a luxury car. Also you really have to stop making ignorant statements, its starting to get very annoying
Old 04-01-22, 10:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

i
Why would it be more difficult and costlier to make an EV quieter? If you put the same level of insulation in both the ICE and EV, the EV will always be quieter.
Old 04-01-22, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet the EQS is marginally quieter than the S-class cruising down the highway. Its probably way quieter at WOT
My guess is its about the same. I have never driven any car that is quieter than an LS or S Class, cars that are as quiet sure. I think you get to a point where it can't really be made quieter.
Old 04-01-22, 11:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

A Tesla at idle not moving is like a car with the engine off. How can that be louder than ANY car at WOT?! lol
There is no such thing as a "Tesla idling" to begin with. That is too funny 😃😃
Old 04-01-22, 11:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

My guess is its about the same. I have never driven any car that is quieter than an LS or S Class, cars that are as quiet sure. I think you get to a point where it can't really be made quieter.
I agree...that is why i said marginally. Probably not detectable by most humans. Of interest though is that i heard some engineer say that they include noise in EVs because it makes some people less sick if there is a sound attached to the acceleration. I forgot where I saw this interview but thought it was interesting.
Old 04-01-22, 11:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Remove the engine, transmission and drivetrain noise completely? I would imagine if you took an LS or S Class, put it in neutral with the engine off and pushed it down a hill going 70 mph it would be quieter
Old 04-01-22, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I agree...that is why i said marginally. Probably not detectable by most humans. Of interest though is that i heard some engineer say that they include noise in EVs because it makes some people less sick if there is a sound attached to the acceleration. I forgot where I saw this interview but thought it was interesting.
Oh this is true for sure, there is a limit to how quiet they can make a car without making people sick.

Remove the engine, transmission and drivetrain noise completely? I would imagine if you took an LS or S Class, put it in neutral and pushed it down a hill going 70 mph it would be quieter
At speed you aren't hearing the engine. What you're hearing is wind noise, road noise, ambient noise around you.
Old 04-01-22, 12:00 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
There is no such thing as a "Tesla idling" to begin with. That is too funny 😃😃
Yes there is. Idle is not a term reserved for ICE.

idle, loaf, lounge, loll, laze mean to spend time doing nothing. idle may be used in reference to persons that move lazily or without purpose

Quick Reply: Are EVs quieter than luxury ICE vehicles?