Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unsurprisingly manufactures appear to be pay-walling hardware

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22 | 05:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Default Unsurprisingly manufactures appear to be pay-walling hardware

Just saw this,
the comment about the S class stood out since I know SW17LS will be able to answer if this is true or not but regardless it does trouble me that going forward we may start to see features locked out unless recurring payments are made.
Old 04-08-22 | 06:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You beat me to it, I wanted to post this. They will eventually paywall everything, in the next 20 years cars will not be affordable to the lower middle class at all.
Old 04-08-22 | 06:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
You beat me to it, I wanted to post this. They will eventually paywall everything, in the next 20 years cars will not be affordable to the lower middle class at all.
I have a spare 1UR-FSE on the shelf and am working on getting an S8 and spare EA824 for it as well. Same with other major wear parts since I have no faith at all in 10 years for anything I buy to be able to be worked on at all.
Old 04-08-22 | 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Just saw this, the comment about the S class stood out since I know SW17LS will be able to answer if this is true or not but regardless it does trouble me that going forward we may start to see features locked out unless recurring payments are made.
The rear wheel steering is not a subscription feature, thats totally false.
Old 04-08-22 | 07:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The rear wheel steering is not a subscription feature, thats totally false.
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/41678/...germany-report

https://www.jdpower.com/automotive-n...s-subscription

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/25/...-subscription/

Old 04-08-22 | 07:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Ah so it's the new EVs that are the issue, that follows expectations. Irony here is that EVs are supposed to be more simple than a real car lol! Wow, talk about synthetically making it harder to work on/own something for pure profits. I can't wait for the lawsuits to start rolling against the poor fool who hacks the system and makes it work anyway, they would need to mass disperse the files/method for it to hope it gets out there and creates a PR nightmare. In the end it will fail due to OTA updates just recoding the cars so you CAN'T even get around it lol!
Old 04-08-22 | 07:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Ah so it's the new EVs that are the issue, that follows expectations. Irony here is that EVs are supposed to be more simple than a real car lol! Wow, talk about synthetically making it harder to work on/own something for pure profits. I can't wait for the lawsuits to start rolling against the poor fool who hacks the system and makes it work anyway, they would need to mass disperse the files/method for it to hope it gets out there and creates a PR nightmare. In the end it will fail due to OTA updates just recoding the cars so you CAN'T even get around it lol!
Did you see Louis' other video about Zero Motorcycles, the electric motorcycle company?

Good luck hacking when everything is vin coded and encrypted, lol. Thank god I'm getting old, because soon enough all cars are going to be self driving EVs that only take you to corporate approved locations based on your climate social score, forcing you to watch lgbt ads while the car is driving. The only way to fix it is to rip all the digital controlled modules out, and swap in a good old carburetor.

Unsurprisingly manufactures appear to be pay-walling hardware-et7wbuk.png

Old 04-08-22 | 08:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The encryption is not normally that much of an issue......untill you factor in OTA updates since they can just constantly change the standards and it will be extremely hard to keep up.
Old 04-08-22 | 08:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The encryption is not normally that much of an issue......untill you factor in OTA updates since they can just constantly change the standards and it will be extremely hard to keep up.
You will not be able to install many new parts, as they all going to be vin coded, and you'll need expensive equipment from each manufacturers to be able to code them. It is already a huge issue.
Old 04-08-22 | 08:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
You will not be able to install many new parts, as they all going to be vin coded, and you'll need expensive equipment from each manufacturers to be able to code them. It is already a huge issue.
It's already that way, the issue is right now the aftermarket has coding figured out so if I want to replace say....the window regulator in my A8 I can just install the part, then code it to the car so it works. Never mind that it's stupid I need to in the first place the point is I pay for a $4700 scan tool and the programing box and I can now freely do whatever to anything that comes along. The issue going forward with OTA updates is the OE can just change the handshake and coding protocol and now I am locked out again, taken a step further they can start to REQUIRE two way authentication that has the car constantly report all parts codes correct back home like in some server setups do for hardware control and monitoring. This would mean they can even go so far as to know if you worked on the car and then just charge you via the infotainment screen to code the part remotely before allowing the car to be used at all again.

It's bad enough you currently have to pay 3-7K for a tool that allows you to work on your own cars, going forward it can get much much more difficult and expensive. There is ZERO excuse for this, with how easily modern PCs/tech cross integrates there should be no reason at all parts can't auto code themselves when you plug them in. Older cars allowed exactly that.
Old 04-08-22 | 09:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

It's already that way, the issue is right now the aftermarket has coding figured out so if I want to replace say....the window regulator in my A8 I can just install the part, then code it to the car so it works. Never mind that it's stupid I need to in the first place the point is I pay for a $4700 scan tool and the programing box and I can now freely do whatever to anything that comes along. The issue going forward with OTA updates is the OE can just change the handshake and coding protocol and now I am locked out again, taken a step further they can start to REQUIRE two way authentication that has the car constantly report all parts codes correct back home like in some server setups do for hardware control and monitoring. This would mean they can even go so far as to know if you worked on the car and then just charge you via the infotainment screen to code the part remotely before allowing the car to be used at all again.

It's bad enough you currently have to pay 3-7K for a tool that allows you to work on your own cars, going forward it can get much much more difficult and expensive. There is ZERO excuse for this, with how easily modern PCs/tech cross integrates there should be no reason at all parts can't auto code themselves when you plug them in. Older cars allowed exactly that.
Well, thats happening more and more, and will only get more and more expensive. They will use the "emissions" excuse to lock out all aftermarket, and you'll have to to pay $20k a year subscription for authorized diagnostics equipment, to each each manufacturer. Repairs are going to become so expensive they won't even be practical anymore, the wealthier people will just lease a car, and the poorer just wont be able to afford to drive anymore.
Old 04-08-22 | 09:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well, thats happening more and more, and will only get more and more expensive. They will use the "emissions" excuse to lock out all aftermarket, and you'll have to to pay $20k a year subscription for authorized diagnostics equipment, to each each manufacturer. Repairs are going to become so expensive they won't even be practical anymore, the wealthier people will just lease a car, and the poorer just wont be able to afford to drive anymore.
Well emissions is the old excuse, now it's "safety" since EVs don't have emissions at the car itself

Costs for subscriptions is already insane....10k a year
Old 04-08-22 | 09:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well emissions is the old excuse, now it's "safety" since EVs don't have emissions at the car itself

Costs for subscriptions is already insane....10k a year
It's like this with everything. Louis did a video on some sticker printer that would refuse to print on third party paper, they freaking integrate chips into individual paper sheets now. The matrix is just trolling us at this point.
Old 04-09-22 | 07:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

All this is scary stuff.

I’m sure these cars will soon report you for speeding, cursing etc. Its basically Demolition Man movie but real life.

Old 04-09-22 | 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the EQS not the S Class. I will see on MBWorld if EQS owners are having to pay a subscription but S Class owners are definitely not.

Quick Reply: Unsurprisingly manufactures appear to be pay-walling hardware