Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes EQS SUV leaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 09:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd rather this form than the EQS. I bet this thing would be an awesome family car
Old 04-11-22, 09:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

This new EQ design language from MB is very boring and downmarket.
It looks like something from Honda or Chevy.
Old 04-11-22, 09:32 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The proportions are completely due to Mercedes trying to make an aerodynamic design work with their jellybean EQ styling. I don't think it looks like an R-class at all to be honest. Having seen this vehicle in person I was actually more surprised at how similar the shape is to a BMW iX. The styling details are of course extremely different but aerodynamics clearly defined the body shape of both.
I'm pretty sure this is a longer vehicle that's a class above the iX, which is around the same size as an X5. Beaver teeth aside, the iX has your typical SUV proportions. The rear half isn't significantly stretched like the EQS, and the nose isn't stubby.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-11-22 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-11-22, 09:36 AM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does every Mercedes nowadays have to be SO UGLY? Everything is too bulbous/round and coupled with the huge emblem in the front... yuck. All of their last gen products just look so much better, can say the same thing about BMW as well.
Old 04-11-22, 10:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'm pretty sure this is a longer vehicle that's a class above the iX, which is around the same size as an X5. Beaver teeth aside, the iX has your typical SUV proportions. The rear half isn't significantly stretched like the EQS, and the nose isn't stubby
I mentioned in my post that the EQS is a large car, as 2-3 inches less than the GLS is over 200" in length. I didn't say the cars are the exact same size, but rather their shape is very similar. The EQS SUV hood slants more than the iX but in person the EQS SUV hood isn't as stubby as it appears in these photos. I wouldn't say the iX has typical SUV proportions given it's lower stance (a couple inches shorter than an X5) and slick overall appearance which makes it very wagon-y. The iX also a the large, very raked front windshield that isn't typical of most SUVs like the X5. Further, the roofline slants downward at an angle that is much more like every other EV SUV on the market rather than their ICE equivalents.

Old 04-11-22, 12:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Never a big fan of SUV's, but this looks much better than the R-class, and I actually prefer the exterior design of this over the EQS sedan
Old 04-11-22, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They are making the ugliest cars in the EV segment IMO. Literally every other EV made from every other carmaker at every price point is more attractive. Thats really saying something.
the only something your comment is 'really saying' is that you hate mercedes EVs so far, and you're entitled to that opinion, but that doesn't make them 'literally' anything, but specifically doesn't make them less attractive than any competitors. only in your opinion.

The proportions are completely due to Mercedes trying to make an aerodynamic design work with their jellybean EQ styling.
exactly.

I don't think it looks like an R-class at all to be honest.
yeah they're nothing alike.

The car itself is longer than a Tesla Model X so it is not small. Maybe about 2-3 inches shorter than a GLS but with a longer wheelbase.
great info.

the long wheelbases on these EV vehicles make them look smaller than they are, in terms of cargo/person space.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Never a big fan of SUV's, but this looks much better than the R-class, and I actually prefer the exterior design of this over the EQS sedan
agree with you.
Old 04-11-22, 02:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

R Class was a tallish conventional wagon.
The CUV/SUV's are tall wagons with vertical rear tailgates, or like Jill says precisely that the CUV/SUV's are tall hatchbacks with raked rear windscreens.
TangoRed is right - the latest CUV/SUV's like X1/X3/X5 and Q3/Q5/Q7 - are all slightly "lowered".
Both Toyota bZ and Lexus RZ450e also seem to have been lowered too.
Indeed, EV's due to their battery packs which take up at least 4" of floor space height - EV's are naturally suited to SUV or lowered SUV applications.
If I could use JDR speak, I'd say I'd buy EQS SUV in a heartbeat - it's almost as sexy as the curvaceous waist line of a Tesla Model S!

Of course Motorola is entitled to his opinion.
I understand he is a bit against conventional luxury like Benz and Lexus, but while Genesis has solid mechanicals, they are poorly styled IMO, and factually extremely unpopular with the public on the sales chart.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-11-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-11-22, 02:49 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

I didn't say the cars are the exact same size, but rather their shape is very similar. The EQS SUV hood slants more than the iX but in person the EQS SUV hood isn't as stubby as it appears in these photos. I wouldn't say the iX has typical SUV proportions given it's lower stance (a couple inches shorter than an X5) and slick overall appearance which makes it very wagon-y. The iX also a the large, very raked front windshield that isn't typical of most SUVs like the X5. Further, the roofline slants downward at an angle that is much more like every other EV SUV on the market rather than their ICE equivalents.
Sorry, not seeing the similarities at all. Both the EQS SUV and iX are low to the ground because they are EV's, but that's where the similarities end. Not even the slanted roofline is the same application.

Unlike the EQS, the iX and X5 are easily identifiable as SUV's, the only major difference proportionally is the slanted roofline which is a staple of Range Rovers, and now many other "trendy" crossovers like the GV80, Aviator, QX60 etc. But the overhang lengths, the long hood, and most importantly the less bulbous back half are those of your typical SUV.

The EQS SUV? The same soft sculpting, the same slanted roofline, the same high beltline, the same massive rear half, the same massive rear doors, the same raised stubby nose- it's obvious where its closest cousin is. It's no GLS, that's for sure.

Old 04-11-22, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the only something your comment is 'really saying' is that you hate mercedes EVs so far, and you're entitled to that opinion, but that doesn't make them 'literally' anything, but specifically doesn't make them less attractive than any competitors. only in your opinion.
I think everything I post is my opinion right? Stop telling me I can't express my opinion. You don't bother other people who post negative opinions, so don't bother me. These Mercedes EQ threads are full of people hating on the styling of these cars but you only bother me.

Literally every other EV coming out from every other manufacturer is better looking than these vehicles. Yes thats clearly my opinion.

The proportions are completely due to Mercedes trying to make an aerodynamic design work with their jellybean EQ styling.
Issue is competitors are able to achieve similar aerodynamics in better looking shapes.
Old 04-11-22, 02:58 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
R Class was a tallish conventional wagon with long overhangs.
Nope, the R-Class is officially classified as an MPV. In other words, a van.

If I could use JDR speak, I'd say I'd buy EQS SUV in a heartbeat - it's almost as sexy as the curvaceous waist line of a Tesla Model S!
LMFAO!

Of course Motorola is entitled to his opinion.
I understand he is a bit against conventional luxury like Benz and Lexus, but while Genesis has solid mechanicals, they are poorly styled IMO, and factually extremely unpopular with the public.
This minivan wishes it could look like a Genesis lol. There is nothing that is "conventional luxury" about this car, unless your idea of such a thing is the R-Class.

Honestly, the only reason anyone would defend this econobox of a design alongside the EQS is because of the Benz badge.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-11-22 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-11-22, 03:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

Nope, the R-Class is officially classified as an MPV. In other words, a van.

LMFAO!

This minivan wishes it could look like a Genesis lol. There is nothing that is "conventional luxury" about this car, unless your idea of such a thing is the R-Class.

Honestly, the only reason anyone would defend this econobox of a design alongside the EQS is because of the Benz badge.
This EQS SUV may have 3 rows of seats too?

Whatever the case, this EQS SUV looks nice, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it sold well - unlike Genesis products.
Old 04-11-22, 03:34 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
This EQS SUV may have 3 rows of seats too?
It does.

To be fair, this looks like a very nice place to be chauffeured in. Looks way more spacious than the S-Class. That's why the Chinese market loves MPV's.

Whatever the case, this EQS SUV looks nice, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it sold well - unlike Genesis products.
This could outsell the new Range Rover and it still wouldn't make it any less ugly lol.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-11-22 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-11-22, 04:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

!

This minivan wishes it could look like a Genesis lol. .
This Genesis doesn’t win and exterior design awards

Old 04-11-22, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Better looking than the Mercedes EQ models...it has some shape, its not just a blob.

Quick Reply: Mercedes EQS SUV leaked