Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are GS400 so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 09:31 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Not bad at all. On a highway roll, the car is absolutely deadly. Have suprised several Vettes and cars that should be much faster. A downshift really makes the car jump. My avg. MPG is still above 20MPG. On the highways, cruising at 60MPH I think the RPMS are 2400RPM, which isn't bad at all.
Old 10-10-03, 09:46 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is pretty low still. My old mustang used to tach 1700 @60mph and I think those were with 3.07 gears.
Old 10-11-03, 05:05 AM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

It kills me to see the new e55 pushing almost 500HP from the factory. All of the money and time into my GS and I am lucky if I can push 400HP. Not to mention the fact that when you are pushing that much power in a GS you void the warranty. I think I see an AMG in my future at some point
Old 10-11-03, 06:09 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You better watch out for the responses you might get with that thread title!
Old 10-11-03, 06:40 AM
martialart
Driver

i hate Benzos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-03, 09:04 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

It sounds to me like you have one of those "fast" cars. As you know, there are differences in every engine and some just kick butt (C&D has tested the same car with over a half second dif 0-60 and they correct for altitute and temp). The Mark VIIIs I know of are pretty slow and I was always able to give them a run in my 189HP 325. I don't doubt that yours is quick, but I don't think that is the norm.

Doug
Old 10-11-03, 11:07 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jcramair1
It kills me to see the new e55 pushing almost 500HP from the factory. All of the money and time into my GS and I am lucky if I can push 400HP. Not to mention the fact that when you are pushing that much power in a GS you void the warranty. I think I see an AMG in my future at some point
Then you're really gonna hate the GS when the M5 comes out.
Old 10-11-03, 12:43 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Originally posted by ImportFAN
all I know is that Lexus sales are going to be in the toliet very soon........the GS can't compair to even the acura TL any more..........it's very sad (just drove 04 TL and new 5 series BMW, both are 10x better then GS)
Umm, you may want to wait for the next gen GS (more power, AWD?) to make any assumptions like that...
Old 10-11-03, 01:26 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 10x better

Originally posted by ImportFAN
all I know is that Lexus sales are going to be in the toliet very soon........the GS can't compair to even the acura TL any more..........it's very sad (just drove 04 TL and new 5 series BMW, both are 10x better then GS)
10x better huh well you tell me is front wheel drive better than rear wheel drive, no. is 30 less horsepower better, is that another no. is something like 70 less lbs of torque better, oh that must be another big no. oh did i mention those transmissions that are still failing. you must have heard about that on the acura owners website, because its pretty much the only topic, don't forget to sign their petiton to force acura to recall the transmissions. my wife just dumped her 03 tl type s because of the tranny failing at 5000 miles. she just loves the 99 gs400 that she replaced it with which in my opinion is 100 times the car the acura ever thought of being. go ahead and buy your acura tl, i'll wave when i see the tow truck hooking you up. and i won't even get into what the bmw fanatics think of the looks of the new 5 series. oh and what was that reliability rating that consumer reports just gave the bmw 7 series i believe that was a poor rating, and they gave the 04 lexus ls430 a reliable rating. so go buy a bmw and get to know the guys in their service department real well. oh i'll still wave no matter which brand you have as i pass your sorry @ss.

Last edited by 3dog; 10-11-03 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-11-03, 01:30 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Now, that was a spirited response.

Golf clap..
Old 10-11-03, 02:11 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 10x better

3dog couldnt have made it sound any better, i applaud you
Old 10-11-03, 02:15 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

in my opinion an acura is frankly an acura which is a 3rd rate japanese luxury car comp. (1st lexus and 2nd infiniti) just you wait the gs33 will have a strong standing
Old 10-11-03, 05:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Whoa guys
The Acura TL is one hell of a car. Always has been. When it came out it was $29K if I remember. No way could you get that much car for that price anywhere. Now it is $33K (or $35K with NAV) and it has one of the few interiors that is actually nicer than the GS. Once again, they have set the price/performance mark. Sure the new GS will be better, but it will also cost a bunch more.

Now lay off the transmissions - do we have to bring up the V6 engine failures of Toyota/Lexus products? How about all the head gasket failures of the past V6 and inline 6 motors?

My point is Honda/Acura is standing behind their product just as Toyota/Lexus is. Be happy you don't own a Ford.

Doug
Old 10-11-03, 06:43 PM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

Originally posted by meanboy
Then you're really gonna hate the GS when the M5 comes out.
I don't care for the new M5 style at all. I think that it is butt ugly....The new E55 however is growing on me..But nothing will top the CL55 Styling IMHO....I will have the cl55 at some point down the line...Nonetheless I can't wait for the 05 GS to be released...
Old 10-11-03, 07:31 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

IMO, the new TL<GS my neighbor a few houses down and i had to give him a nightly beating for a few weeks before he submitted to my GS's dominance(dont know if the car itself is faster, but hes a crappy driver so i HAD to give it to him). I do admit the interior is nice with very nice features. However, it is in my opinion that the style of the TL is uncomarable to the GS. The GS is, by far, the winner in terms of fashion. Pulling up in my GS creates more commotion than the TL could ever do. From the outside, the TL is one ugly duckling (almost like a spinoff of the 745i imo) Even though the TL has more features than my GS and the interior, imo, is very nice, my GS will always be greater than the TL for the simple fact that i can draw MANY more ladies.

Quick Reply: Why are GS400 so slow?