Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are GS400 so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03 | 07:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
But since you hate the steering, hate the handling, and seem to hate many things about the GS, I'm not sure you got a good deal.
Yea, and did I mention my car is slow too?
Old 10-15-03 | 07:34 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Comparisons

Originally posted by Neil64
I am a new member. I just bought a 98 GS400 with 54K on it to replace my 98 Cobra. My Cobra was basically stock with the exception of 3.73s, shifter, a K&N stock replacement type filter. I ran 13.88@ 101mph in 95 degree heat with that car. The 4.6 Ford lacks torque and has to be revved to make power. The interior is cheesy compared to other cars around 25-30K.

The GS is more refined even though the Ford 4.6 is really refined in American car standards. The GS handles and brakes better than a Cobra. It is certainly more comfortable to drive and I hope more reliable. It has a great interior and style that I think other companies have been copying since 98 (Can you say G35 sedan). Ever since it’s release I have wanted one. Now I got it.

I also own a 2000 Acura 3.2TL which my wife drives and a 1999 that my mom drives. Great car for the money. I don’t think there was a better luxury sedan made for the money between 1999-2003. Fit and finish, interior styling and materials are remarkably similar to Lexus standards. We have not had a single problem with either TL. I like it much more than the last generation ES, it is cheaper than the current ES and GS-300. We bought each one w/out Nav for around 27K. For people that like front wheel drive, it is a great car. Front Wheel Drive is what I prefer my family drive due to the traction in wet weather. I don’t think anyone can argue the benefits of that. I know I’d rather be in the TL than my GS400 in the snow.

I myself drive either my 99 LX470 or my GS400 because I very much prefer rear wheel or all wheel drive and a V8, hence my recent purchase of the GS400.

I compared the GS400, Audi A6 4.2 Quattro and BMW 540i Sport Auto. The GS400 is faster, handles and brakes better that the other two. I think the other two feel sportier and torquey. I like the BMW’s interior but the Audi’s seemed a little plain.

In the end, I think the Lexus will be more reliable and fits my personality better.

I haven’t seen the new TL in person but it looks good to me in the pictures and commercials. I think the current Camary/ES-330 is still under powered and over priced compared to the TL and the GS35.

A good friend on mine should be getting his 04 E55 within the next couple of weeks. There is no denying that the E55 is wicked fast – 12.50s in a four door luxury sedan. It is faster than his 03 911. I don’t really care for MB myself but that is one fast car but is about 40K more than a new GS430. Is it worth it? Probably. It does everything really well.

Different strokes for different folks.
Good find Neil! A 98' w/54k is almost like new. Im at 54k right now, been garage kept since I bought it in 2000, and is basically a new car...... Welcome to CL...... hope you can avoid the mod virus...heehee
Old 10-15-03 | 07:38 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by meanboy
You might not like the styling of the M5 but if it comes out with a V10 it will show it's ugly backside to the E55 every time and that's my point.
Was the recent magazine comparison between the M5, 03'E55, and 03'RS6 using the current V8 M5??? What are the specs of the upcoming V10 M5?
Old 10-15-03 | 07:52 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

According to Edmunds, a 1999 gs300 is worth about $20k at trade-in with 50k miles and in clean condition, and a 1999 TL is worth about $14k in the same condition. I would say that the TL is not dominanting in terms of resale value. At least in the case of the GS300. Given that we paid $38,600 plus fees and most TLs were sold at sticker the resale percentage is a statistical dead heat. Your analysis may vary. Either way, they both have good resale value.
Old 10-15-03 | 07:53 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tinygs
Was the recent magazine comparison between the M5, 03'E55, and 03'RS6 using the current V8 M5??? What are the specs of the upcoming V10 M5?
The rumour is over 500hp. If this proves to be true, it will be an animal. An ugly animal, but an animal nevertheless.
Old 10-16-03 | 12:01 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by doug_999
You are kidding right? The 99 and higher TL was a HUGE success for Honda/Accura. That 65% was in the beginning when the car was going for sticker. In fact, up until mid 2001 most dealers sold the thing for sticker. I pretty sure the TL was the segment leader in terms of sales.

But as for subsidized residuals, how do you think I got the lease payment so low on my GS?
You tell me... All I know was Honda pushed the TL by aggressively pricing it lower (sticker) coupled with offering liberal leasing terms. This was a fact due to it's dismal sales history. In all fairness, you really get a good value for the price of the TL.

But you know what, I think you are mistakenly comparing the TL which is merely considered in the "near luxury segment" to the GS. If anything, the TL, which is built in the U.S., on the same chassis as the Honda Accord and the contemporary Honda Odyssey minivan, the near-luxury, front-drive TL is slotted between the entry-level Integra and the luxury RL sedan. Rivals include the Audi A4, BMW 3-Series, Infiniti I30, and Lexus ES 300. The GS is way above it.

If you think the TL was the segment leader in terms of sales, the U.S. car sales data has a different story. The crown belongs to the BMW 3-series.
Old 10-16-03 | 02:45 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tinygs
New M5 will come with 5.5 Liter V10. 0-60 in 4.0 seconds
Old 10-16-03 | 05:06 AM
LexFather

BTW,a 99TL was 28k out the door. A 2002 TL-S was 32 out the door. (being built in America really helped keeping the cost down, the 1st gen TL was a 28-36k car with less features, but better build quality)A GS 300 can be 42-45k out the door. A 1998 GS 300 has about the same re-sale as a 2002 TL-S. They are going for dirt cheap, not sure where the high-re-sale value argument is coming from. Just look at any local paper. Then on the Acura forums, they are getting RAPED by dealers who trade them in. Why? They know all about the qualtiy issues and failing transmission. Adding to the fact, Acura has DROPPED the Type-S moniker, this won't help.

Acura did a great job offering a loaded car for a cheap price. They have abandoned this strategy with the new TL, which is a 32k-38k car.
Both are great vehicles but IMO, somewhat overpriced
Overpriced to any Acura. THe GS's competition is the A6, 5 and E class and it offered/s the same features and was much less. Back in 1998, a GS 400 was the SAME PRICE as the previous GS 300. Both were (and still are)5k less than their competition.
Old 10-16-03 | 07:17 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Do you guys realize how far off we've all gotten off the topic initially posted?????? 4 pages of stuff that's NOT related to the original posted topic. Thanks Importfan!!!

Seriously, I'd love to take up for the GS in the GS vs TL issue, but that's not what the original poster inquired about. He was asking us how he could make his GS fast enough to be a contender. He also told us about his previous car. Someone else**ahem, ahem Importfan ahem*** chimed in the issue about the TL.

Let's stay focused. If someone wants to start a new thread to finish the discussion of the GS vs TL issue, we can go over there to finish. BTW, I pick 1sick and bit to be on my team.....
Old 10-16-03 | 07:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Do you guys realize how far off we've all gotten off the topic initially posted?????? 4 pages of stuff that's NOT related to the original posted topic. Thanks Importfan!!!
J - I moved this thread to Car Chat LONG ago because it became a x VS x thread and everyone seemed to ignore the 'stay on topic' request I made.... Let's just keep it respectful of other folks opinions here please.
Old 10-16-03 | 07:43 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
J - I moved this thread to Car Chat LONG ago because it became a x VS x thread and everyone seemed to ignore the 'stay on topic' request I made.... Let's just keep it respectful of other folks opinions here please.
I have been following this thread so long now that I forgot about that.

My bad.
Old 10-16-03 | 07:47 AM
LexFather

It's too early for Jaimie...
Old 10-08-04 | 03:07 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Post Motor Trend Import Car of the Year in '98

Originally posted by doug_999
Oh please don't insult the next GS like this! Can you imagine? Car of the year, right up there with past Motor Trend winners like
The PT Cruiser!
The Volkswagon Beetle!
The Malibu!
The Dodge Caravan!
The Cirrus!
The best cars of the 80s including the Citation and the K Cars
and the list of stunning cars goes on....

Seriously, that award is a joke in the industry IMHO. And the GS never has won it - thank God!
Sorry Doug, when the GS first came out in '98, it did win "Motor Trends Import Car of the Year" There was a banner at work that hung above the service drive that said so. That banner found a new home in the wall in my garage where my baby always sleeps at night.

Will

P.S.
You are rignt about how this award turned into such a joke lately though.

Last edited by TAMR_GUS98; 10-08-04 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-08-04 | 03:23 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails Why are GS400 so slow?-old-thread.jpg  
Old 10-08-04 | 06:46 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Post Old thread

Originally posted by T.L.W.
Hey!! How did you get that picture of me with my kids.

Sorry folks. I should have read through the hole thread before I replyed to Doug_99s post. My bad!! What was this thread about again? j/k

Will

Quick Reply: Why are GS400 so slow?