Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RX 400h Is a Proper Bargain For Used Vehicle Shoppers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 11:49 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus RX 400h Is a Proper Bargain For Used Vehicle Shoppers

Lexus RX 400h Is a Proper Bargain For Used Vehicle Shoppers
By Brett Foote

Lexus' first hybrid crossover is a good deal in an impossible market.

Old 04-21-22, 05:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,805 Likes on 2,372 Posts

Best hybrid implementation IMO good power decent efficiency dead reliable.
Old 04-22-22, 05:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 423 Likes on 347 Posts

I always liked this generation of RX’s. Would buying a really old RX400h be a wise investment for a daily driver? I see them pop up at a good price sometimes but that hybrid battery is really old now.
Old 04-22-22, 05:46 PM
Lead Lap

Received 778 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I always liked this generation of RX’s. Would buying a really old RX400h be a wise investment for a daily driver? I see them pop up at a good price sometimes but that hybrid battery is really old now.
Thats right. Hybrid batteries don’t last much longer than 15 years, and has little to do with mileage. So as long as the buyer factor in a battery recondition or replacement they are still solid cars.
Old 04-22-22, 05:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,805 Likes on 2,372 Posts

Depends on the climate if the vehicle spent most of its life in cooler areas I wouldn't worry, in hot climates not so sure. I know someone with the Highlander version it recently passed 250,000 miles nothing has been done but maintenance plus some stuff replaced like struts. CEL came on recently with a bunch of codes gas cap was being put on loose because the cap had become hard to "click" replaced with OEM part codes never came back.

Old 04-23-22, 07:03 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

It's great right up until your $3000 inverter fails, or your $1500 brake actuator fails, or various other systems that you can basically only get directly from Toyota if you want a replacement part that actually works properly.

The gen after this fixed the inverter leak issue but all cars with the electro hydraulic brake system will have a problem at some point.

No benefit vs the RX330/350 especially used because it only takes one of those systems failing to have you out about half the cost of what you pay for the car if not the full cost of the car. Why chance it when you can just get the normal version and avoid the risk?
Old 04-23-22, 11:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

No bargain at all. All used Lexus SUV's, and just about everything else, are selling at huge price increases.

Old 04-24-22, 11:04 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 924 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's great right up until your $3000 inverter fails, or your $1500 brake actuator fails, or various other systems that you can basically only get directly from Toyota if you want a replacement part that actually works properly.

The gen after this fixed the inverter leak issue but all cars with the electro hydraulic brake system will have a problem at some point.

No benefit vs the RX330/350 especially used because it only takes one of those systems failing to have you out about half the cost of what you pay for the car if not the full cost of the car. Why chance it when you can just get the normal version and avoid the risk?
That depends. First, its gas mileage is obviously much better at a time when gas prices have skyrocketed and might keep doing so. That means money savings that may be even higher than you'd normally project.

Second, with the cost of all cars being silly now, the cost of one-time repair bills — even very large ones — suddenly starts to look more palatable in a car that otherwise projects to have a long, dependable life.

Beyond that, I'm not saying that RX hybrids have eternal life or never fail as you say. But as a Prius owner, I've followed the forums there and heard an endless parade of hysterical exaggerations about how failure-prone the Toyota hybrid system is. The inverter, the battery, on and on. Yet NYC cabbies are beating the crap out of them for 300,000 miles or more, and our 2010 is worth more now than 4 years and 40,000 miles ago when we bought it. In that time it's needed a set of brakes (its first ever), two 12v batteries, wiper blades, tires, and four light bulbs. If its hybrid battery coughed up the Yellow Triangle of Death tomorrow, I'd replace the battery and keep the car in a heartbeat.
Old 04-24-22, 08:12 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
That depends. First, its gas mileage is obviously much better at a time when gas prices have skyrocketed and might keep doing so. That means money savings that may be even higher than you'd normally project.

Second, with the cost of all cars being silly now, the cost of one-time repair bills — even very large ones — suddenly starts to look more palatable in a car that otherwise projects to have a long, dependable life.

Beyond that, I'm not saying that RX hybrids have eternal life or never fail as you say. But as a Prius owner, I've followed the forums there and heard an endless parade of hysterical exaggerations about how failure-prone the Toyota hybrid system is. The inverter, the battery, on and on. Yet NYC cabbies are beating the crap out of them for 300,000 miles or more, and our 2010 is worth more now than 4 years and 40,000 miles ago when we bought it. In that time it's needed a set of brakes (its first ever), two 12v batteries, wiper blades, tires, and four light bulbs. If its hybrid battery coughed up the Yellow Triangle of Death tomorrow, I'd replace the battery and keep the car in a heartbeat.
Is gas mileage that much better on the highway though?
Old 04-24-22, 09:48 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I had one for about 5 years and served me well. Extremely reliable and fuel efficient in NYC for a SUV. The engine does not sound good but it go quite some power with the 3.3L v6 + the battery. However, the tech and interior is quite dated.