Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus TX coming

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

The lack of a full time system is the only reason I wouldn't purchase a Sequoia. My wife would never put it in 4WD, so essentially she'd be driving around a RWD vehicle all the time.
Old 04-26-22, 10:16 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The lack of a full time system is the only reason I wouldn't purchase a Sequoia. My wife would never put it in 4WD, so essentially she'd be driving around a RWD vehicle all the time.
This is exactly my reason as well....the wife would be confused on when or when not to engage 4wd. Such a huge oversight IMHO.
Old 04-26-22, 10:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Same situation. I'd gladly line up to buy one if there was a full-time system.
Old 04-26-22, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Hopefully Toyota reads this!
Old 04-26-22, 11:13 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I bet people will just buy the new Sequoia over this. I mean why wouldnt you other than the badge? For similar money, they can op for the Capstone model, get a standard hybrid V6TT instead of what will probably be a hybridized 2.4t crappy 4cyl in the TX.
Not everyone wants a body on frame truck with a fixed rear axle. The third row in the Seqouia takes a pretty massive space penalty because of this.
Old 04-26-22, 11:21 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

On the GA-L architecture? If not it won’t be a competitor to the X7.
Hopefully one day Lexus will put out a car like 4GS that can compete German's. This TX has been surfacing since.. before I got my GX. Lol. Seeing what they did with the LX, I can't see anything coming that can compete German's SUVs. IMO they target totally different groups.
Old 04-26-22, 11:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Hopefully Toyota reads this!
The first and second generations of the Highlander and Lexus RX were full time awd. Always on. Much more special than the on demand systems.
Old 04-26-22, 02:22 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The first and second generations of the Highlander and Lexus RX were full time awd. Always on. Much more special than the on demand systems.
This is technically true, but immaterial where actual driving is concerned. When all tires have equal grip, the first and second gen RX send 95% of power to the front wheels, and 5% to the rear. For the first generation, there was a viscous coupling capable of sending up to 25% of power rearward under perfect conditions. For the second generation, this was replaced with brake-based torque distribution controlled by the DSC system, which can get to approximately 50:50 by applying significant braking force to the front wheels--essentially an on-demand system. This is the reason that there is no "DSC Off" button on the AWD models, even though it is present on the FWD ones. It would have to be re-labeled "AWD Off"

If you compare this system to what was available at that same time from companies like Audi, Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti--or even non-luxury brands like Subaru and Mitsubishi--those all actually feel like they're AWD when you're driving them. The RX (which I owned for 12 years) almost never feels like anything other than than FWD Camry that it very nearly is.
Old 04-26-22, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
This is the reason that there is no "DSC Off" button on the AWD models, even though it is present on the FWD ones. It would have to be re-labeled "AWD Off"

There is definitely a way to turn off traction and DSC in a awd HL from that generation. At 5:10 you see the button. Both of my SUVs lack a traction/VSC button.

It would have to be re-labeled "AWD Off"
This really makes no sense. No possible way to turn off a full time awd system.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-26-22 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-26-22, 06:13 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

There is definitely a way to turn off traction and DSC in a awd HL from that generation.. At 5:10 you see the button. Both of my SUVs lack a traction/VSC button.
It was added right at the end of the 2nd generation, and at the same time added an "AWD Lock" button which forced the VSC to intervene to the maximum extent possible. But for the 2RX, only FWD models had the TC/VSC off button until at least 2008. Trust me, my 2007 did NOT have it. There was a blank where it should have been. Here is an excerpt from the manual (emphasis mine):

To disable TRAC (2WD models only)
If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow or mud, TRAC may reduce power
from the engine to the wheels. You may need to turn the system off to
enable you to rock the vehicle in order to free the vehicle.
Push the button to turn off TRAC.
The TRAC OFF indicator light should come on.
Push the button again to turn the system back on.
This really makes no sense. No possible way to turn off a full time awd system.
This is pedantry. Yes a completely immaterial fraction of engine torque is directed to the rear at all times, even without the VSC applying the brakes to the front wheels. On my RX350, at max engine output approximately twelve (12) lbft of torque went to the rear wheels absent any intervention from the VSC. The other 239 lbft went to the front wheels. So I stand by my statement that disabling the VSC system would have an effect not markedly different than fully disabling AWD. Again, if you want to split hairs, it is AWD all the time. But not in any way that actually matters once you leave the spec sheet and get into the driver's seat.

Back in the day, someone on here did an experiment where they stuck 1x2s through the spokes of both rear wheels of their RX while it was on a lift. With the transmission in drive, they had to rev the engine past 2500 rpm before even a slight creaking was heard from the rear drive applying pressure to the wood, front tires spinning happily the entire time. When they repeated the experiment with the front wheels similarly blocked, simply touching the accelerator pedal caused the 1x2s to shatter instantly.
Old 04-26-22, 06:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It was added right at the end of the 2nd generation, and at the same time added an "AWD Lock" button which forced the VSC to intervene to the maximum extent possible. But for the 2RX, only FWD models had the TC/VSC off button until at least 2008. Trust me, my 2007 did NOT have it. There was a blank where it should have been. Here is an excerpt from the manual (emphasis mine):
y.

Toyota listed “cut off” switch right in the brochure for the 2nd gen.
Old 04-26-22, 07:03 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Toyota listed “cut off” switch right in the brochure for the 2nd gen.
I didn't own a Highlander, and we are talking about the RX. But since you continue to press the issue, here is one of my posts from thirteen years ago:

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol really? I do not have one on my 2004, they must have changed something on the 2008 model
Yeah, it was "new" on the 2008. I have an '07 AWD, and no button. In fact, someone on here actually went to the trouble of ordering and wiring up the button in a 2007 (the harness is behind the dash whether the button is installed or not), and it didn't work.
Again, none of this changes the theory of operation of the RX's AWD system. It is 95:5 by default, and if the VSC system applies significant enough braking force to the front wheels, can shift to as much as 75:25. That is pathetic compared to pretty much any other AWD system available at the time. Audi was 50:50 by default, BMW was 40:60, Acura was 70:30. Literally no one (at the time, and perhaps in all of history) made a "full-time AWD" system that was so limited in how much power could be directed to the non-primary axle.

To put an alternate spin on it, my snowblower (a 24" Ariens) generates 25% more torque than my RX was capable of sending to the rear axle without manipulation by the braking system.
Old 04-26-22, 07:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't own a Highlander, and we are talking about the RX. But since you continue to press the issue, here is one of my posts from thirteen years ago:

Again, none of this changes the theory of operation of the RX's AWD system. It is 95:5 by default, and if the VSC system applies significant enough braking force to the front wheels, can shift to as much as 75:25. That is pathetic compared to pretty much any other AWD system available at the time. Audi was 50:50 by default, BMW was 40:60, Acura was 70:30. Literally no one (at the time, and perhaps in all of history) made a "full-time AWD" system that was so limited in how much power could be directed to the non-primary axle.

To put an alternate spin on it, my snowblower (a 24" Ariens) generates 25% more torque than my RX was capable of sending to the rear axle without manipulation by the braking system.
Here is the press release for the 2007 Lexus RX 350 awd. You said you had a 2007

The AWD RX 350 model is improved with the addition of a viscous limited-slip center differential, which enhances drivability in all types of driving conditions. The full-time AWD system provides a constant 50/50 front-to-rear power split.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-release.html

The way you described it with 95;5 but VSC doing all the power transfers seems at odds with what Toyota used to do. But you are right.

for what it’s worth…I don’t have have any traction or VSC OFF button on either of my SUVs.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-26-22 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-27-22, 02:14 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

pretty sure it'll be a Lexus version of the current Highlander? i doubt Lexus R&D a new platform and powertrain for the TX. maybe offered with a plug-in hybrid trim and the 2.4T from the new NX lineup.
Old 05-01-22, 08:49 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 478 Likes on 316 Posts

Wow, rumors that forthcoming high riding Crown SUV will be 3 row and V6 powered hybrid with RWD-based AWD.

Lexus TX the upmarket version.

Quick Reply: Lexus TX coming