Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus TX coming

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 05:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I just test drove a 2019 LX570 and the ML sucked in comparison to my 2013 LS 460. Not even close.

Not sure how other Lexus vehicles compare, but the ML in the LS appears to be on another level.
Not surprised. Lexus had crap stuff in the 2010s. Now Lexus is even worse since they abandoned V8s.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-23 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-11-23, 07:13 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure you if consider my lc500 'out of date' or a 'lesser' model but the ML in it imo is not that great. my hyundai santa fe has a better audio system.
yeah ML or not, a lot of things about Lexus are not as some, me included, think /used to think they are.

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I just test drove a 2019 LX570 and the ML sucked in comparison to my 2013 LS 460. Not even close.
Not sure how other Lexus vehicles compare, but the ML in the LS appears to be on another level.
ML in SUVs sucks or not as expected as I should say. I have to say though the system in GX is strong enough for me. Of course I'm not the type that want to shake the neighborhood

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Ooops, One LC 500 w performance package. Hmmm interesting, I really liked the Mark Levinson in the LC 500. I used CD's to get the best quality I could out of it. As the saying goes, crap in crap out. So hopefully you are using CD or another near lossless format...sure you know that. I'll be interested to see how it compares to the 1800 watt 17 speaker Mark Levinson I am getting tomorrow in an IS 350 F Sport. I really liked my LC. Almost considered another, but wish they would bring the safety tech up to LSS 2.5 at least. And add panoramic camera. And after having 3 vehicles with that V8, I thought I might like a little lighter weight, better gas mileage, and 4 doors. FYI, Daily Motor has reviews of both the Santa Fe and LC 500 audio systems.
IMO even when you're parked, the ambient noise is almost not avoidable. CD quality is great, DVD audio is great, but streaming (BT/wifi/wired) is also very high quality when the source is clean. Like you said, crap in crap out.
Old 01-11-23, 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Now Lexus is even worse since they abandoned V8s.
sweeping statement? the v8 was dropped on LS and LX but is still in place for GX, LC and now IS.
Old 01-11-23, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

sweeping statement? the v8 was dropped on LS and LX but is still in place for GX, LC and now IS.
One look at how uncompetitive the 409hp is in the LX says it all. Compare to the Escalade.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-23 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-11-23, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

What I loved about the ML in the LS was that there was no loud that was too loud, it kept its clarity and punch and tone all through the volume range. Compared to the Burmester in my Mercedes that the treble gets too sharp if its too loud, and music loses its depth if its too low, even with the sub I added. There is a specific volume range where it sounds good, but even then nowhere near as good as the ML in the LS. The other ML systems I have had and listened to just were nothing special. Not bad, just not stand out like the one in the LS was. Best Lexus systems I have had are ML in the 460, ML in the 430 and Nakamichi (still the best) in the 400.
Old 01-11-23, 09:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Yeah but it will be dropped on the GX when the 2nd gen completes its 20-year lifecycle.
Old 01-11-23, 09:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What I loved about the ML in the LS was that there was no loud that was too loud, it kept its clarity and punch and tone all through the volume range.
This is the hallmark of the best audio systems they sound incredible at any volume and will play crystal clear at volumes you shouldn't be listening at.

I continue to be disappointed that people still directly equate watts to sound quality.

Back to the TX, Toyota's platforms are getting more and more complex
https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/21...-engine_en.htm

I can see reliability taking a hit there are so many systems to go wrong. And that's just the engine, drop hybrid complexity on top of that.

.......I know I'm saying Toyota instead of Lexus that is intentional, there is little that separates Lexus from Toyota on the platform level.
Old 01-11-23, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is the hallmark of the best audio systems they sound incredible at any volume and will play crystal clear at volumes you shouldn't be listening at.

I continue to be disappointed that people still directly equate watts to sound quality.
Watts and speaker count. A system doesn’t need 35 speakers lol. I think the ML in that LS was under 1000 watts.

Back to the TX, Toyota's platforms are getting more and more complex
https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/21...-engine_en.htm

I can see reliability taking a hit there are so many systems to go wrong. And that's just the engine, drop hybrid complexity on top of that.

.......I know I'm saying Toyota instead of Lexus that is intentional, there is little that separates Lexus from Toyota on the platform level.
I think this is 100% a concern
Old 01-11-23, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Watts and speaker count. A system doesn’t need 35 speakers lol. I think the ML in that LS was under 1000 watts.
Watts is very important for audio. You need power. To reproduce a good audio source, you will want those watts. that said, 1000 watts in car is about the most you need over is overkill TBH. 35 speakers is not needed. It all depends on the source as well 6 track audio is the best.
Most of all this stuff is just marketing

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-23 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-11-23, 10:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not having high hopes for the TX. It will still be the smallest in the segment and tightest 3rd row. It will have the powertrains lifted from the new RX, maybe not the basic hybrid since it might be too heavy. Seeing how they screwed up the 3rd row in the Sequoia just makes me cringe just thinking how bad the TX will be.
Old 01-11-23, 11:16 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Watts is very important for audio. You need power. To reproduce a good audio source, you will want those watts. that said, 1000 watts in car is about the most you need over is overkill TBH. 35 speakers is not needed. It all depends on the source as well 6 track audio is the best.
Can I plz add.
1,000 watts means nothing if you buy an amp at the flea market.

Ask me how I know.
Spoiler

Watts is just the power and like mentioned it's all marketing.
On sub par systems the "watts" don't equate to perceived volume or sound quality- not the same thing- means nothing.
Old 01-11-23, 11:24 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Watts is very important for audio. You need power. So reproduce a good audio source, you will want those watts. that said, 1000 watts in car is about the most you need over is overkill TBH. 35 speakers is not needed. It all depends on the source as well 6 track audio is the best.
The very best amplifier I personally own (not in a car) has a maximum output of just over 1 watt. The best-sounding amplifier I've ever heard in a car had a meagre 25 watts x 2 channels, and cost $8000. The still quite good--but nowhere near THAT good--amplifier in my car currently, is rated at 75x6, or 450w total. And I use nowhere near its full capabilities, even if driving to volume that will make your ears bleed.

1000, 1500, 1800 watts or whatever is just marketing nonsense.

For reference, here is an 840 watt car audio amplifier:

Here is an 80 watt home amplifier:

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader which one sounds better.

Last edited by geko29; 01-11-23 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-11-23, 11:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,507 Posts

That car amp is nicely made and has 24 bit DACs. But 840 watts would make it go up in flames.
Originally Posted by geko29
1000, 1500, 1800 watts or whatever is just marketing nonsense.
Because it works. The first question almost everyone asks is, how many watts?
Old 01-11-23, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But its not the be all and end all. Like I said the ML system in my LS460L was incredible, and it was only 450 watts. The Burmester audio in my S560 has 590 watts and is nowhere near as good.

Originally Posted by situman
I'm not having high hopes for the TX. It will still be the smallest in the segment and tightest 3rd row. It will have the powertrains lifted from the new RX, maybe not the basic hybrid since it might be too heavy. Seeing how they screwed up the 3rd row in the Sequoia just makes me cringe just thinking how bad the TX will be.
My hope for size comes from the Grand Highlander. When they have a vehicle the size of the Highlander, a Grand Highlander must be bigger right?
Old 01-11-23, 11:51 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

From what I remember, power has a meaning. As we introduced new/improved products, power was always on the list to achieve. As for audio, depending how much the volume is, more or less power/number of speakers is needed to provide a pleasant sound in that space. Certainly a stronger/more power amp will need to work (crank) less to reach the pleasant level. A less power amp may also get to that level but the amp will need to work harder (crank higher). As it's needed to work harder, it may be in non ideal state (non linear) of the amp causing the output to be non proportional to the input resulting an unpleasant/distorted sound. Similarly, a V4 and V6/8 all can get to certain speed, but V6/8 certainly can get with much less effort and smoother. No?

Quick Reply: Lexus TX coming