Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 07:06 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

If they just bring back their Monteros... Cool vehicles, just a mismanaged company.
Old 04-25-22, 08:30 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Because they haven’t made anything cool in 10 plus years and I don’t want people thinking I have a 300 credit score
Old 04-25-22, 09:43 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Because they haven’t made anything cool in 10 plus years and I don’t want people thinking I have a 300 credit score
Thank you for the laughs. I was thinking it but you delivered it much better.
Old 04-25-22, 09:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lmfao, 10 char.
Old 04-26-22, 05:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Old 04-26-22, 07:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Same. It was so bad I took it back and demanded something else. It was an Eclipse Cross
Ah that's right. Cross not sport
Old 04-26-22, 08:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Haha! Good one!
Old 04-26-22, 08:49 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The Eclipse was such a cool car in the late 90's, I loved the way it looked. Now it's like the brand doesn't exist. I rarely see one and don't even know if dealers exist near me. Even if I was looking for a cheap used car I probably wouldn't consider a Mitsubishi because I'm not entirely confident they'll be in the US market and there's so many other options like Nissan and Hyundai.
Old 04-26-22, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
The Eclipse was such a cool car in the late 90's, I loved the way it looked. Now it's like the brand doesn't exist. I rarely see one and don't even know if dealers exist near me. Even if I was looking for a cheap used car I probably wouldn't consider a Mitsubishi because I'm not entirely confident they'll be in the US market and there's so many other options like Nissan and Hyundai.
The 90s-vintage Eclipse, along with its Plymouth Laser and Eagle Talon brothers which were produced on the same assembly line, were, yes, responsive and fun to drive, but were poorly-built, unreliable, sloppily-assembled, and, rather quickly, fell apart in the hands of owners, particularly those who drove aggressively with the turbo versions. Much of that was due to the well-known problems at the Diamond-Star Chrysler/Mitsubishi plant in Illinois.
Old 04-26-22, 06:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 90s-vintage Eclipse, along with its Plymouth Laser and Eagle Talon brothers which were produced on the same assembly line, were, yes, responsive and fun to drive, but were poorly-built, unreliable, sloppily-assembled, and, rather quickly, fell apart in the hands of owners, particularly those who drove aggressively with the turbo versions. Much of that was due to the well-known problems at the Diamond-Star Chrysler/Mitsubishi plant in Illinois.
funny enough. MM. I am reading a magazine from 1990. Look what they advertise

Old 04-26-22, 06:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The old Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL is now owned by Rivian.
Old 04-26-22, 06:32 PM
JGullett17
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard many negatives in relation to Mitsubishis, but also positives. I live in Bloomington, IL, a sister city to Normal, where the Mitsus used to be built here in the states. Currently, Rivian is making R1Ts and Amazon vans there, but that doesn't matter. It's just an interesting fact, I guess. Anyway, a few years ago, when we were replacing our POS Chrysler Pacifica, we went and picked up an Outlander Sport. We had it for a year or so, but it was too small, so we traded up for an Outlander LE, white with black trim everywhere. Looking back, we should have gone with Mazda, since that's what the wife liked at the time, but really, I'm pretty satisfied with the two Mitsus we have had. They aren't crazy high on quality, but they aren't complete bullocks either. Our Outlander looks nice and drives well, but it's not exciting by any means. I never did drive in any year Evolution or Eclipse, but my sister did have a 5-speed Lancer OZ Rally when they first released, and it was a fun little car. As others have said, they just don't offer anything remotely exciting anymore, which is sad. And this is just my personal opinion, but using the Eclipse name for an SUV is just ignorant, just like Ford putting the Mustang name on that electric thing that nobody seems to enjoy. As for quality, so far we haven't had any issues, and service has been good too, but that really may be because the dealer is in Normal, and they used to be THE dealer to get Mitsus when they were built here.
Old 04-26-22, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The old Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL is now owned by Rivian.

No comparison. FAR better management.
Old 04-26-22, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JGullett17
I have heard many negatives in relation to Mitsubishis, but also positives. I live in Bloomington, IL, a sister city to Normal, where the Mitsus used to be built here in the states. Currently, Rivian is making R1Ts and Amazon vans there, but that doesn't matter. It's just an interesting fact, I guess. Anyway, a few years ago, when we were replacing our POS Chrysler Pacifica, we went and picked up an Outlander Sport. We had it for a year or so, but it was too small, so we traded up for an Outlander LE, white with black trim everywhere. Looking back, we should have gone with Mazda, since that's what the wife liked at the time, but really, I'm pretty satisfied with the two Mitsus we have had. They aren't crazy high on quality, but they aren't complete bullocks either. Our Outlander looks nice and drives well, but it's not exciting by any means. I never did drive in any year Evolution or Eclipse, but my sister did have a 5-speed Lancer OZ Rally when they first released, and it was a fun little car. As others have said, they just don't offer anything remotely exciting anymore, which is sad. And this is just my personal opinion, but using the Eclipse name for an SUV is just ignorant, just like Ford putting the Mustang name on that electric thing that nobody seems to enjoy. As for quality, so far we haven't had any issues, and service has been good too, but that really may be because the dealer is in Normal, and they used to be THE dealer to get Mitsus when they were built here.

Yes, Today's Mitsubishis (a least the few I've still seen in the American market) are, in general, better-built than the ones of the Diamond-Star-plant vintage. But, then, not all Mitsubishi products were poorly-built back then, either.....it seemed to be mostly quirks with that Normal, IL plant.

The big problem today is simply lack of retail dealerships. That's what finally pushed Isuzu and Suzuki out of the American market, but, so far, Mitsubishi had had better luck staying here and coping wth that shortage than those other two companies.
Old 04-26-22, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
funny enough. MM. I am reading a magazine from 1990. Look what they advertise
Oh, they were DEFINITELY fun to drive...particularly the FWD GS-T Turbo 5-speed manual, which was lighter than the AWD version and, despite FWD, was still not affected much by torque-steer.

That 1990 ad, BTW, was for the 1Gen versions, which, IMO, were not as nice-looking inside or out as the later 2Gen versions, but somewhat better-built and less likely to fall apart in a few years.

Quick Reply: Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?