Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 07:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Oh, they were DEFINITELY fun to drive...particularly the FWD GS-T Turbo 5-speed manual, which was lighter than the AWD version and, despite FWD, was still not affected much by torque-steer.

That 1990 ad, BTW, was for the 1Gen versions, which, IMO, were not as nice-looking inside or out as the later 2Gen versions, but somewhat better-built and less likely to fall apart in a few years.
I would never have ever test driven one. Did you?
Old 04-26-22, 07:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Who wants me to go to my local mitsu dealer and drive a mirage? I'm tempted to see how bad they are if the older ones I've worked on are any indication of quality.....

100k miles is a REAL accomplishment for most. I'm talking GM looks like Toyota next to these level shocking
Old 04-26-22, 07:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Who wants me to go to my local mitsu dealer and drive a mirage? I
lol. I’ve always admired the person driving one…..at least it has Apple Car Play long before Lexus had it
Old 04-26-22, 07:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No comparison. FAR better management.
I know I was just pointing out the plant has new life and has added a good number of jobs to the region.
Old 04-27-22, 04:22 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 213 Posts

My co-worker just bought a Mirage for his wife, said it was the cheapest brand-new car he could find locally lol.
Old 04-27-22, 04:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would never have ever test driven one. Did you?
Yes. I got a chance to sample several 2Gen versions....the Mitsubishi versions rather than the Eagle or Plymouth ones, which were very simile. I test-drove a GS-T FWD version, another version that I don't fully-recall the specs on, and a friend of mine, at CarMax, bought a used black AWD GS-X turbo version. I drove it, on occasion, a few times.That GSX turned out to be a disappointment.....several interior functions and controls either stopped working or worked loose and were difficult to operate.

I also, later, sampled a FWD 3Gen version with the new non-turbo V6.

In addition to all the other problems, they apparently didn't keep the paint-shop clean at that Diamond-star plant. I can remember looking at a lime-green 2Gen version, sitting brand-new in the dealer showroom, with primer and paint on it that had apparently been sprayed on and dried right over lumps of dirt. You could see and feel the burrs and lumps under your fingertips.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-22 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 10:55 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Who wants me to go to my local mitsu dealer and drive a mirage? I'm tempted to see how bad they are if the older ones I've worked on are any indication of quality.....

100k miles is a REAL accomplishment for most. I'm talking GM looks like Toyota next to these level shocking
Go take some pictures of the outside and inside. Let us know details about performance, quality, etc.
Old 04-28-22, 11:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

As luck would have it, I ended up in a brand spanking new Outlander Sport for my rental on a business trip. It had all of 5 miles on the odometer. Quick thoughts was that it was much better built than that Eclipse Cross was. Noise in the cabin was reasonable, but the engine really droned unimpressively. The CVT had plenty of rubberbanding and accelerating on the freeway to pass someone was not a fun experience. It was an S which looks like it has a 2.0L I4 in it. It needs more oomph

Overall, I’d say it’s a decent rental. The interior bits weren’t the highest quality, but decent enough.
Old 04-28-22, 06:49 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Mitsubishi ruined its good name by building vehicles that could not withstand the test of time. It's that simple. I have to believe most car buyers are in the fool-me-once camp. If a manufacturer can not attract repeat buyers...they're doomed! Even if they improve their quality, once-burned customers will be leery. Thus, manufacturers need to come out the blocks with their best foot forward.
Old 04-28-22, 07:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Go take some pictures of the outside and inside. Let us know details about performance, quality, etc.
I'll go Saturday, hopefully I can keep my act together and they think I am serious long enough for me to test drive it home and make a very serious review video on it for everyone's entertainment!
Old 04-28-22, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Mitsubishi ruined its good name by building vehicles that could not withstand the test of time. It's that simple. I have to believe most car buyers are in the fool-me-once camp. If a manufacturer can not attract repeat buyers...they're doomed! Even if they improve their quality, once-burned customers will be leery. Thus, manufacturers need to come out the blocks with their best foot forward.

Back in the 90s (and even the late 1980s), except for the ones that came out of the poorly-run Diamond-Star plant in Normal, IL, Mitsubishi had some solidly-built and impressive vehicles. I was actually pretty impressed with most of them.....including the Mirage, Galant, Diamante, and the Expo micro-mini-vans. And even the Eclipse/Laser/Talon line-up, which did come out of that plant, although poorly-built, was fun to drive.
Old 04-29-22, 07:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mitsubishi went for affordable premium segment early on in the 90s with Diamante, Montero and 3000GT and it didn't workout for them. Upcoming Outlander PHEV might be the good buy for those looking for affordable PHEV CUV.
Old 04-29-22, 02:23 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they self destructed after they made this commercial
Old 04-29-22, 02:45 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I think they self destructed after they made this commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A3xA0wIVB8
My nephew bought an Eclipse new and had nothing but trouble with it. After warranty, he sold it and has been in Beamers ever since. The guy is a gluten for punishment, but he does well with impressing the ladies! However, I'm not sure they were as impressed as the gal in the commercial!
Old 05-01-22, 02:30 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I had Mitsubishi cars and ended up with a lemon. Car costed 22'000$ new, and costed my more than 9'000$ in repairs.
This would not be a problem, but when questionned about it, Mitsubishi handled the whole responses like absolute douches, they literally wrote me a polite gtfu letter and even denied me a reply on my justified questions.
After that, my boss had the splendid idea to renew our fleet of vehicules with Mitsubishi Outlanders, I warned him about the poor state at Mitsubishi in a private letter, but he disregarded my warning and proceeded anyway. ... you know where this is going isn't it ? Those pos cars where always at the garage for something to repair. During the warranty time, the enterprise kept them, but they sold them as soon as the warranty was coming to an end, with the exception of one, that never had any significant problem of any kind. This whole ordeal had negative impact on our business, as we lost some customers due to missed appointements by those faulty cars, and we had a fast turnover in our fleet ; but had positive consequences for me, allowing me to enter the direction committee for car related questions. Since then, we changed for more reliable and cheaper NA Opel Mokka, and we are actually testing two new Yaris cross hybrids to replace our oldest mokka's that are approaching 400'000km.

Quick Reply: Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?