Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 10:29 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?

I've been picked up by Uber drivers in 2 new Mitsubishi Outlanders recently. They have similar styling to Toyota/Lexus and maybe even some hints of a Palisade. Interior is nice, ride quality is solid. What prevents Mitsubishi from being a more legit contender in the auto space in the US? I don't see many of them and confused as to why - for folks looking at Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Kia - I wonder if Mitsubishi is overlooked..?
Old 04-25-22, 10:35 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Mitsubishi just doesn't have any compelling products now, and they're a part of Nissan so what they do have doesn't really stand out even compared to their more mainstream counterpart. The Outlander for instance is just a Nissan Rogue with 3 rows.
Old 04-25-22, 10:48 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Mitsubishi just doesn't have any compelling products now, and they're a part of Nissan so what they do have doesn't really stand out even compared to their more mainstream counterpart. The Outlander for instance is just a Nissan Rogue with 3 rows.
I haven't been in any new Nissan vehicles recently to compare, but I was impressed with what I saw and experienced with Mitsubishi. Do they use the same engine, etc as the Nissan products?
Old 04-25-22, 10:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Usually because they are seriously loud, behind on features, and lord do they rust and have mechanical issues.
Old 04-25-22, 10:55 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 213 Posts

They were so popular in the 90s and 00s with the Eclipse GS-T/X and Evo but they just don't offer any exciting cars anymore.
Old 04-25-22, 12:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Everyone I know who's owned a Mitsubishi has had nothing but problems. I don't even see that many of them on the streets anymore, just a couple here and there
Old 04-25-22, 12:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Their newest products actually aren't bad, especially the new Outlander which I prefer to it's positively reviewed sister the Nissan Rogue. Mitsubishi's products as a whole aren't the absolute top in class though and their dealer network is very sparse these days with typically poor service experiences. There's not much incentive to deal with all of that outside of avoiding dealer mark ups that are popular right now.
Old 04-25-22, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I've been picked up by Uber drivers in 2 new Mitsubishi Outlanders recently. They have similar styling to Toyota/Lexus and maybe even some hints of a Palisade. Interior is nice, ride quality is solid. What prevents Mitsubishi from being a more legit contender in the auto space in the US? I don't see many of them and confused as to why - for folks looking at Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Kia - I wonder if Mitsubishi is overlooked..?
Funny enough you mention this today. I actually drove a Mitsubishi today. A little ER4 SUV or something. It was adorable . Easy to get in. Move around. Nothing special, but not bad.
Old 04-25-22, 12:48 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 727 Likes on 455 Posts

We ended up in a Mitsubishi Outlander as a rental on a trip last year and thought it was perfectly serviceable. Ride was decent, nothing rattled and didn't feel underpowered.
Old 04-25-22, 12:55 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I haven't been in any new Nissan vehicles recently to compare, but I was impressed with what I saw and experienced with Mitsubishi. Do they use the same engine, etc as the Nissan products?
Same platforms, same engines, Mitsubishi is the Dodge to Nissan's Chrysler.
Old 04-25-22, 01:50 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

I had an Eclipse Sport as a rental a few months back and it was the worst car I've driven in a long time. Loud, buzzy, slow, and rattles everywhere
Old 04-25-22, 01:59 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Mitsubishi ad on the bottom of my screen as we discuss Mitsubishi vehicles

Old 04-25-22, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?
I have posted on this subject myself a number of times in the past. Very simple....a lack of dealerships. The same thing is happening to Mitsubishi in the U.S. that happened to Isuzu and Suzuki....they allowed the number of their American-market retail-dealerships to dwindle down to an unacceptably low number. While it has not (yet) driven Mitsubishi completely out of the U.S. yet as it did with the other two companies, it still has become, in many areas, very difficult to find a new-Mitsubishi dealership within reasonably close driving range. Where I live, in Northern Virginia, we once had three for four...they gradually dwindled down to zero, although, a couple years ago, to their credit, a new-Mitsubishi franchise DID open up in Manassas, VA, maybe 25 miles or so from where I live. But, even then, it is basically just a redone old warehouse, not a modern dealership building with up-to-date facilities.

​​​​​​​

Old 04-25-22, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I had an Eclipse Sport as a rental a few months back and it was the worst car I've driven in a long time. Loud, buzzy, slow, and rattles everywhere
Same. It was so bad I took it back and demanded something else. It was an Eclipse Cross
Old 04-25-22, 06:09 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Any Mitsubishi vehicle I see on the road just screams cheap. You can look at it and tell there is nothing to it. It used to be that they were way cheaper than a Honda or Toyota, but that is no longer the case.

Most people don't need seating for 7, in which case a CR-V is only a few hundred bucks more and a MUCH better vehicle. If you do need the 3rd row, most will just take the plunge on a new Pilot, Highlander, or something else. Mitsubishi doesn't put a lot of focus on the vehicle side of their overall company and it shows.

Quick Reply: Why don't more people consider Mitsubishi vehicles?