Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid XSE....sigh

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 01:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Elon is still having kids and he is 50. Never too late
I'm sure Elon has a nanny for each of them...he really doesn't seem like he would be a very involved father
Old 05-02-22, 04:46 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Just don't buy a hybrid Pacifica. The "fire risk" is only for the hybrid, and only if you plug it in.
I care too much about my family to buy a Pacifica.
Old 05-02-22, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Which means?!

They're not the most reliable vehicle on the road, thats for sure, but they are great vans, very safe, well designed, comfortable...no reason not to buy one if you "care about your family" lol. My family is perfectly happy in their Pacifica, thank you.
Old 05-02-22, 05:16 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

The Pacifica does look really nice. My wife has been talking about wanting something else. I told her I'd rather have another van over a CUV.

I love how you sit higher up even though the vehicle has roughly the same ground clearance as a sedan, the giant windows where you can see for days, the seating configurations, and all the misc storage compartments.
Old 05-02-22, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Originally Posted by SW17LS
They're not the most reliable vehicle on the road, thats for sure, but they are great vans, very safe, well designed, comfortable...no reason not to buy one if you "care about your family" lol. My family is perfectly happy in their Pacifica, thank you
Despite admitted reliability problems with Chrysler products, let's also remember who it was that actually invented the crossover FWD minivan in the first place. By the time that Ford, GM, and the Japanese competitors had gotten around to catching up on the basic FWD designs, the Chrysler minivans already had a number of years experience under their belt. Not only that, but Chrysler was the first to come out with such ingenious ideas as fold-down Stow-N-Go seating, and, for parents, built-in fold-down child-seats that made strapping in Junior a piece of cake. We've had a couple of discussions on Car Chat as to why those Junior-seats might not work with today's regs, but, at the time, they were absolutely brilliant. ​​​​​​​
Old 05-03-22, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The Pacifica does look really nice. My wife has been talking about wanting something else. I told her I'd rather have another van over a CUV.

I love how you sit higher up even though the vehicle has roughly the same ground clearance as a sedan, the giant windows where you can see for days, the seating configurations, and all the misc storage compartments.
A van is an excellent vehicle if your needs skew towards needing lots of space, adaptable seating/cargo and sliding doors. I personally just hate minivans, I hate the way the drive, I hate the way they look, I just don't like them. BUT, they are excellent family vehicles.

For me, I would rather have a vehicle like a crossover or SUV that may not have as good utility but fulfils me in other ways. My wife and I are 50/50 opposed on this though.

But, I have decided that I'm not going to buy another minivan. If she wants to stay in a minivan, she's going to stay in the one we have.
Old 05-03-22, 08:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I actually love Minivans, especially the way Toyota and Honda have designed them. I don't know much about the Pacifica except the third row seats fold into the floor, which is pretty awesome. Anway the Sienna in particular reminds me of an SUV with more utility and room. My wife loves it, and she was reluctant to move to the Ioniq, but it just made no sense daily driving it to work everyday because of the amount of gas it guzzled. We still use it for trips, hauling stuff when traveling with more than 5 people
Old 05-03-22, 08:55 AM
CMK
Driver

We love our 2018 Odyssey. Sure, it doesn't really drive like an Accord but it'll hustle when it needs to and it's sprung tightly enough that it doesn't punish you for taking a corner a little faster than junior would prefer.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't know much about the Pacifica except the third row seats fold into the floor, which is pretty awesome.
Third row and second row. Unless you have the Hybrid, in which case only the third row (the batteries are where the second row would fold down).
Old 05-03-22, 09:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CMK
We love our 2018 Odyssey. Sure, it doesn't really drive like an Accord but it'll hustle when it needs to and it's sprung tightly enough that it doesn't punish you for taking a corner a little faster than junior would prefer.

Third row and second row. Unless you have the Hybrid, in which case only the third row (the batteries are where the second row would fold down).
Does it have VTEC
Old 05-03-22, 09:11 AM
CMK
Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Does it have VTEC
It sure does.

Mark and Jack thought it was hilarious, too:
Old 05-03-22, 09:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CMK
It sure does.

Mark and Jack thought it was hilarious, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H70umBFOtSg
Oh yeah, I saw that LOL. Well, my Sienna has VVT-i yo
Old 05-03-22, 11:31 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah, the 3rd row in our '13 Odyssey folds into the floor as well. I love how I can take out the middle seats as well.

What I've really come to appreciate in a van is the sliding doors. No matter how many times I explain to my kids to watch out for other vehicles when getting out, they seem to smack the other vehicle half the time. Not bad but still. Worst was when I had to get my scratch removal out but luckily it went away after a minute of rubbing. LOL
Old 05-03-22, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the sliding doors are a huge benefit when you have young kids.
Old 05-03-22, 02:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

I HATE vans on principle.....however I will be the first to acknowledge/recognize just how amazingly useful they are. UNRIVALED versatility, decent driving dynamics, good MPG, and ability to carry anything you could possibly need to WITH an ultra low load floor to boot! Only thing that they can't do is serious offroad....
Old 05-03-22, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The ONE valid point my wife has about getting an SUV is that the kids will swing the doors open and dent my car in the garage lol

Quick Reply: 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid XSE....sigh