Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid XSE....sigh

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 02:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
If this was a turbo 2.5 I would take it over the 6, it would be extremely easy to bump up the power with a tune to really respectable levels and fuel economy would be good as well. Easy to work on to top it all off due to space
I still prefer their 3.5L NA, but I could definitely live with a 2.5T with the hybrid drivetrain. I had a 1999 Camry CE with the 2.2L, it's a solid engine. I sold the car to a family friend in 2003, and he's still driving it today with over 200K on it
Old 04-27-22, 02:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I still prefer their 3.5L NA, but I could definitely live with a 2.5T with the hybrid drivetrain. I had a 1999 Camry CE with the 2.2L, it's a solid engine. I sold the car to a family friend in 2003, and he's still driving it today with over 200K on it
Imagine the 2.4 Camry engine from the gen after that with +100 TQ and 80 more HP.....it would be quite nice even in a van due to the turbo
Old 04-27-22, 04:00 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

My last minivan before the present Pacifica hybrid was a '16 Toyota Sienna with the 3.5, a vehicle and drivetrain that I liked quite well.

When shopping at this time last year it was easy to rule out the new Sienna due to the weak powertrain, non-removeable second row seats, and cut-rate interior. It's seemed like Toyota simply decided to build a second-rate vehicle.
Old 04-27-22, 04:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Today one of my co-workers brought his new Toyota Sienna hybrid XSE to work, and I got to kick the tires and drive it. And I have to say it's good, and it's bad. OK lets start with good:

Good
Good looking minivan, redesigned styling that's sporty
Very good Toyota quality and build
Plenty of room, very comfortable interior
Lots of storage, cup holders etc.
Very quiet when driving normal
Combined 36 MPG Fuel mileage
t
‘Don’t forget it has available awd. I think the new Sienna is a very stylish crossover (ummm van) lol. Great looking interior as well.
Old 04-27-22, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Remember how I said the Prius was a terrible car? When I drove the Sienna...its a giant Prius.
Old 04-27-22, 04:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Remember how I said the Prius was a terrible car?.
I don’t remember.
Old 04-27-22, 04:21 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

You guys are missing the point of buying a hybrid. Rag on the power all you want but to the average consumer it'll be just fine. I'm sure they'll take the 36 mpg over what little power deficit it has.

You guys also have crazy fast vehicles with 4 second 0-60 times. Your assessment of the van is distorted.
Old 04-27-22, 04:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
You guys are missing the point of buying a hybrid. Rag on the power all you want but to the average consumer it'll be just fine. I'm sure they'll take the 36 mpg over what little power deficit it has.

You guys also have crazy fast vehicles with 4 second 0-60 times. Your assessment of the van is distorted.
Oh I understand the point of the hybrid for this application. It’s a van. The fuel economy is off the charts. Driving experience is not that great. But it’s a van. If you put a V6 in there with no EV guts, you get BAD MPG.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-27-22 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-27-22, 04:31 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah, exactly. And you don't have to worry about the engine blowing like you would with the Kia. Lol
Old 04-27-22, 04:33 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

We test drove the new Sienna last summer, i agree acceleration sucked especially going uphill, and you can definitely hear the motor stressing out. it still sells like hotcakes because it's a Sienna, the brand name sells itself. wish Toyota gives us an option for a 3.5 V6 version of this.
Old 04-27-22, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

FWIW, I have owned 3 minivans. So...I'm a van consumer.

Its not about having a "crazy fast" vehicle, its about having a vehicle that is enjoyable to drive and has enough power to drive confidently loaded up with people and cargo. The Sienna is not such a vehicle with that powertrain. The droning engine makes it tiring to drive and at speed it doesnt have enough power to drive confidently on the highway or in the mountains with a full load. I post on the Pacifica forum and there are LOTS of people there who did not buy the Sienna only because of this powertrain. I am also one of these customers. I would LOVE to buy the Sienna over the Pacifica...but that powertrain makes that impossible for me.

And...weren't you just ragging on the Prius in another thread for having all the same characteristics you're defending in the Sienna?
Old 04-27-22, 04:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

FWIW, I have owned 3 minivans. So...I'm a van consumer.

Its not about having a "crazy fast" vehicle, its about having a vehicle that is enjoyable to drive and has enough power to drive confidently loaded up with people and cargo. The Sienna is not such a vehicle with that powertrain. The droning engine makes it tiring to drive and at speed it doesnt have enough power to drive confidently on the highway or in the mountains with a full load. I post on the Pacifica forum and there are LOTS of people there who did not buy the Sienna only because of this powertrain. I am also one of these customers. I would LOVE to buy the Sienna over the Pacifica...but that powertrain makes that impossible for me.

And...weren't you just ragging on the Prius in another thread for having all the same characteristics you're defending in the Sienna?
Exactly. My 2013 Sienna is not crazy fast, doesn't do 0-60 in 4 seconds, nor does it drive anything like a sports car, but it has a powerful enough V6 where it's pleasant to drive on long trips, has smooth acceleration and power, and when you load it up with people it doesn't bog down. And it holds it's speed on hilly or mountain roads without sounding buzzy. The new Sienna is just not for me
Old 04-27-22, 05:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Issue is my 3.2 sec A8 gets me 31-34 average.....if I'm not being an ***. If I am I still get 22-26

There are plenty of cars that give 36 average that don't suck to drive, that's our issue with this. It is made worse by the fact the older vans are just a better experience/are able to get out of their own way.
Old 04-27-22, 05:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sienna...its a giant Prius.
Technically the new Sienna is a giant Highlander…or Venza…Or RAV …or NX. The motor and EV parts are not used in a Prius.
Old 04-27-22, 05:12 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

darn... I need to buy a minivan in a month or two, and Sienna is my top pick due to MPG.
Haven't driven or test driven a minivan in over 15 years.. just need it for my growing family.

Gas has gotten so expensive where i would be willing to give up 5mpg for v6 power, but not 10mpg.
Also, i need a hybrid/plug-in minivan due to extensive idling i plan to do when kids are asleep upon home arrival. I rather not move them if they have less than a hour left on their sleep cycle.

Quick Reply: 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid XSE....sigh