Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Awful service, Safelight

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22 | 05:09 AM
Wetanner
Driver School Candidate

Default Awful service, Safelight

Bad rock chip from Freeway construction zone. I went to Safelight and made an appointment and ordered a oem windshield. I was told my insurance would not cover all of the cost for oem. I said that's ok. A week later I show up for my appointment with a ride to drop my car off, when they open, I am told "we can't get to it today". I said "I have an appointment". The lady said " we are overbooked you will have to make another appointment. I asked if they had my oem windshield? She said yes. I made another appointment and suggested if you can't keep this appointment, a phone call would be nice.
I show up for my appointment and drop off the car and I am told it will be ready this afternoon. Before they close I show up,(no phone call) my car is in the parking lot. I go in and talk to the lady and ask "what do I owe you?" She said nothing the insurance covered it all and gave me the key. I opened the door and broken glass all over the front seat and console, a hole in the leather upholstery and damage to the console. My wife went in and talked to the manager as I cleaned up some of the broken glass shards. The manager came out and told me that must have been there before! He said "we take pictures before we work on all cars." I said good let's go look at them, it's a brand new car not two months old, I would know if it was there before! He left and came back and said we'll cover the cost to repair the damage, never did clean up the broken glass.
Fast forward a few months, the parts came in to repair the damaged interior and I had Lexus bill safelight no problem.
First snow I get in the car and the drivers side windshield wiper doesn't work, back to Lexus they ask if I had the windshield replaced and I said yes, how did you know? Service manager said it's an aftermarket windshield and they never tightened the wipers correctly.
When I got home I was going to give them a bad review online, (all current reviews were excellent), but decided to give them a chance to make it right. I went back and talked to them and told the manager, (a different guy) my experience and about the different windshield. He said there is no documentation, sorry you don't like our service. I went home to write my review and someone had already written a glowing review in my name, first name only!
Old 04-29-22 | 05:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Safelite is terrible...
Old 04-29-22 | 05:37 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

I don’t trust reviews. I always wonder how many are fake.

Cant believe how poor that service was. Terrible!
Old 04-29-22 | 07:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've had pretty bad experience with Safelite as well, they had to replace the windshield 3 times on my Sienna..the first time we got on the freeway after replacement and we could hear the wind coming in, so they replaced it. Then a few weeks later it cracked under the seal and started to fracture, they told me it was improperly installed and replaced it. Third time same thing, they told me it was defective. A couple months later, again it cracked under the seal, this time they claimed it was from a rock. I fought with them, then finally gave up and decided I'm going to find another more reputable glass shop. That was more than a year ago, now the crack has spread almost to the top of the glass, I just haven't had time to take it in with work and my schedule, my wife who is a Pharmacy tech has an even more grueling schedule
Old 04-29-22 | 08:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Safelite is awful.

I had a very, very similar experience. Years back, someone smashed my driver's side window to break in to the car. I took it in to Safelite. They replaced the glass but in doing so they made several tears/cuts in the door trim vinyl and scratched some of the interior plastics. I brought the manager out to look at it. I got nowhere. So I called their customer service line to complain. The agent had me talk to that manager again. I remember that conversation very well. He said my car was "a piece of *****" so it didn't matter if they'd damaged it anyway. Not sure I've ever been so mad in my entire life. I worked with the customer service agent to try to get it fixed, and initially they were on board, but then they called and told me the manager had assured them that I was not being truthful and they therefore refused to fix it.

They will never, ever touch one of my cars again. Ever.
Old 04-29-22 | 08:29 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I’ve had a very good experience with them last year for my Durango. I had a chip in the windshield that was fixed but the little spider web was still there so I requested a new windshield from my insurance and I called Safelite and requested an OEM windshield as well.

The tech did an excellent job installing the windshield and calibrating everything but when I started driving home, I noticed a distortion in the windshield that was in the windshield itself so I turned around and brought it back thinking that they would balk at it and say it was within spec, etc. Nope, they took a look and agreed with no fuss and ordered a new one for me that was perfect and install was great.
Old 04-29-22 | 08:47 AM
arentz07

I've been to Safelite twice, but both times, it was to repair rock chips, not to replace... But I had no issues with those.

I've also generally had great experiences with other places, like my old Tires Plus, but once, I went to a different one after moving to GA and absolutely hated the experience. The employees acted like they didn't have time for me even though the place was empty, and I ultimately decided to go to a different place (a Discount Tire) instead. Said Discount Tire, incidentally, dropped a wheel, but hey at least they replaced it.
Old 04-29-22 | 08:38 PM
grabber2
Racer

I think it have to do with the people in the particular Safelite shop or those run by the district manager. There are some locations techs are very professional and some that are not. It is a hit sometime. It is always good to know a place or two that does quality work.
Old 04-29-22 | 09:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Many variables.My experience with them was good. They were early for the appointment by 20 minutes, showed me the glass, then the removal and replacement uneventful. The installer had been doing this for 18 years. He pointed out the prior damage done from the previous owners glass replacement. They took the cracked glass out cleanly so it didn't break into pieces. They placed a large mat under it anyway to make sure if it did break on removal. Adhesive was applied evenly and they did a good job overall.
Old 04-29-22 | 09:12 PM
Lead Lap

Can’t you use Lexus OEM glass? My insurance policy has no excess on glass.
Old 04-29-22 | 10:22 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Thanks for sharing, I'll stay away from Safelite. Can anyone recommend a good automotive glass company?