Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

97-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03 | 01:08 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default 97-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD Turbo

What do you all think of this car. i'm thinking of selling my gs(long story), i know this is like the 3rd time i've said i was gonna sell my car, but this time i'm pretty serious, reason why i haven't sold it before was because never found a car i wanted.

here are reason why i'm choosing this car.:

it looks great stock, all you gotta do is lowered it a bit.
its AWD 210HP Turbo.
has clear headlight lens, so i will be doing a HID retrofit within 1 month of having the car
it has aftermarket parts galore
great car for college, save on gas and still sporty.
comes in stickshift so my girl can't drive it(part of the long store)
and it has a nice fat rear bumper which i really like.

probly going to keep it in the stock form besides lighting and lowered for a while. then play with the turbo later on.

but give me some info on this car if you guys got any. also give me links to any forums. i can't find any for the 2nd gen. all i found are the newer eclipse forum.

oh and reason why i said 97-99 is that is the year they have the nicer looking front bumper.
Old 10-11-03 | 01:30 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

it can be made into 1/4 mile monster but I just suggest you take a ride in it before selling your GS. There is a world of difference in every aspect.
Old 10-11-03 | 01:55 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

how would i go about test driving a stick shift car. i know how to drive a stick shift car. but i have not had more than 20 minutes behind a stickshift before. i would like to test drive one out myself to get a feel for it. but i don't want the seller to get pissed if i stall there car. or look dumb stalling. i also don't want to take a friend or have the seller drive it for me while i'm in the passenger seat becuase its just not the same.

everytime i get into my lexus i feel like i'm in a real expensive automobile and it has luxury in everyway. it smooth. quiet as hell. and i'm a college student driving a pretty decent car.

there is just some things about my particular gs that is bothering me since i bought it and now something else just came up. i'm just getting a little tired of this car. i would buy another one like it but i would have to take like 3,000-4,000 grand out of my own pocket to get another one thats a bit nicer.
Old 10-11-03 | 11:38 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Take a ride with the owner. The car will feel like absolute POS comparing to your GS. I know my 98 Civic does comparing to my LS. Civic is still a better riding car then Talon...just a lot slower.
Old 10-11-03 | 01:53 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

yup
i owned a 92 Talon AWD and it rode like crap and was built very cheaply... like an import mustang 5.0 kinda

ridden in several 2nd gens and they arent much nicer either...
2nd gen turbo motors also have crankwalk issues

why dont you get a 94-95 Toyota Supra turbo?
Old 10-11-03 | 02:04 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

supra's cost way too much. looking for something under 9,000. the more under the better.
Old 10-11-03 | 07:02 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

if you wanna test drive and not screw up in front of the serller.....see if you can go to a dealership that has a track in the back and they dont care if you take a "used" car on the track to beat around a bit. i duno if you have tracks at local dealerships by you but we do and i actually taught a few people stick but screwing up the "used car's" clutch instead of them screwing up there own. or even if you can get it out to a parking lot and practice most dealers let you keep a used car for an hour or two. if that doesnt work then i would just sit in the car with the owner and see.

~ Stella
Old 10-11-03 | 08:05 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

land in california is soo expensive i don't think or heard of any dealers with a track in there back yard. also being 19 i'm not sure a salesman will take me seriously when i come in for a test drive.
Old 10-11-03 | 10:30 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

if u never had more than 20 min behind the wheel of a stick then you don't know how to drive stick. Just cause you can get it moving it doesn't mean u know how to drive it. My friend knows how to drive "stick" too but i get whiplash everytime he drives. Get a friend that knows how to drive stick and ask him to help you test drive it.
Old 10-11-03 | 11:36 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

like i said. i understand how to drive a stick but i'm not good at it. just read the earlier post. i said i didn't want someone else driving the car because it would just not feel the same, if thats the case i could just stand by the side of the freeway onramp and watch cars drive by and say i'm test driving all of them. the only real way to test drive a car is behind the wheel.
Old 10-12-03 | 05:08 AM
UncleNick
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jmai22
supra's cost way too much. looking for something under 9,000. the more under the better.
Stay away from those, Bean is right....severe crank walking issues. Best bang for buck in the under $9000.00 range for a turbo car is a 1986-1989 Porsche 944 turbo(951). You can pick them up anywhere around $4000-10,000. They are very reliable with very few issues. With minor mods, extremely fast. :-)

Last edited by UncleNick; 10-12-03 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-12-03 | 12:18 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i'm gonna look into that. i always wanted aporche. lol. anyways. it doesn't have to be turbo. anything thats prefebly RWD or AWD is fine. also something that can handle and is decently quick.
Old 10-12-03 | 12:20 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

man talk about resale value i saw a 1986 for 12,900 and another 1986 for 11,000. holy crap a moly
Old 10-12-03 | 12:23 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

sexy car but....... i don't like the headlights. i can't do a HID retrofit in those headlights. lol. sorry headlight are a MUST for me.
Old 10-12-03 | 02:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally posted by UncleNick
Stay away from those, Bean is right....severe crank walking issues. Best bang for buck in the under $9000.00 range for a turbo car is a 1986-1989 Porsche 944 turbo(951). You can pick them up anywhere around $4000-10,000. They are very reliable with very few issues. With minor mods, extremely fast. :-)
umm

dont steer him towards an old porsche, those things are VERY unreliable... i've never seen reliable and 944 in the same sentence

jmai22 you dont want the hassle of working on a 944 turbo; they arent built real strong and if you mod it past a certain point you'll be destroying the motor... not to mention the car has TONS of electrical problems

check out a 91-94 Toyota MR2 turbo, they are very very reliable, fun to drive, can be made fast, handles well, and is available far under $9k

Quick Reply: 97-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD Turbo