Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lx570 vs gx460

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 06:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
True but part of this class is durability and outright resistance to abuse, kind of like the LSs class is determined by ride/smoothness/effortlessness. The Range Rover indeed has a great ride period, not just for an SUV but I seriously doubt you can trash it like a LX or G wagon and that ability is important in this class IMO since it's part of the tradeoff for not having a car to receive the benefit of being able to just run over 10 inch logs and slide over rocks.
Range Rovers are some of the most unreliable vehicles out there, I wouldn't trust one far off the trail (though yes, they are capable) unlike a Land Cruiser or Prado. I know someone with a 150k Autobiography RR, it's been in the shop more than in his garage. Like 14k miles..

But they sell like crazy so obviously owners must not care too much. I like how you can customize them pretty well from the factory. They definitely look good and have that cachet.
Old 05-06-22, 06:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The LX is considerably louder than the LS on the highway. My LS460s (and my S Class) register about 58-59 dB at 75 MPH, the LX I drove last registered at 62. Thats roughly twice the ambient noise. Full Range Rover is also 59, which is amazing considering how square it is. My Pacifica registers 64.
It seems almost as quiet, I mean I've been driving my LS430 a decade. Ear dyno to me they're roughly the same. Both are extremely quiet, I'm just saying I was surprised how eerily quiet and serene the LX is, more so than I expected. But make no mistake get on the gas you hear the V8. Wonder what LS430 db reading was. I think it was even quieter than the 460.

Depends on what you want. For me since I don't need to do any of that I want the better riding vehicle. I'm not going to trash any vehicle.
And you trade up every 3 years so other than inconvenience you're not paying anything for repairs. You're the ideal RR customer. If I leased at that budget I'd at least look at RRs, sure.
Old 05-06-22, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It seems almost as quiet, I mean I've been driving my LS430 a decade. Ear dyno to me they're roughly the same. Both are extremely quiet, I'm just saying I was surprised how eerily quiet and serene the LX is. But make no mistake get on the gas you hear the V8.
Your LS430 is 20 years old almost, I don't know that its as quiet as it was when it was new, but my comparison was of two brand new vehicles.

And you trade up every 3 years so other than inconvenience you're not paying anything for repairs. You're the ideal RR customer. If I leased at that budget I'd at least look at RRs, sure.
Sure, all depends on your needs
Old 05-06-22, 06:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Your LS430 is 20 years old almost, I don't know that its as quiet as it was when it was new, but my comparison was of two brand new vehicles.
Maybe, maybe not. I can tell you I bought it at 7 years old and it still looks, feels, and drives, is still the exact same as it did then. It's been garage kept since day one so I'm sure the sound deadening is all fine still.

Tit for tat doesn't matter, whatever. It's like how my LX has the double pane glass (my LS doesn't have it but it was available) but the window motors are a little unbecoming (loud) for such a high end vehicle.
Old 05-06-22, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Weatherstripping etc doesn't last forever, tires get loud as they age etc.
Old 05-06-22, 07:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

The LX is considerably louder than the LS on the highway. My LS460s (and my S Class) register about 58-59 dB at 75 MPH, the LX I drove last registered at 62. Thats roughly twice the ambient noise. Full Range Rover is also 59, which is amazing considering how square it is. My Pacifica registers 64.

Depends on what you want. For me since I don't need to do any of that I want the better riding vehicle. I'm not going to trash any vehicle.
Yep, a few DB is a world of difference and it's impressive when anything with large doors and lots of glass is that quiet.

That's why there are different top end trucks, the LX can take that and not be hurt by it by design. I have a customer who does water/wetland surveying for the Ohio .gov and uses a 90s LC and LX and these things both have over 370k miles and are used in a very serious manner as they were intended to be used with 1/5 the miles off road along rivers etc....he is stupid with his oil changes though. The LC goes 20-30k between changes aka when it comes to me for something else to be fixed, always minor fixes though that would not effect the abilities of the car but one of these days he is doing to kill that 4.5, the LX is treated better since it's his nice car
Old 05-06-22, 07:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It seems almost as quiet, I mean I've been driving my LS430 a decade. Ear dyno to me they're roughly the same. Both are extremely quiet, I'm just saying I was surprised how eerily quiet and serene the LX is, more so than I expected. But make no mistake get on the gas you hear the V8. Wonder what LS430 db reading was. I think it was even quieter than the 460.

It's not, the 460 is quieter in nearly all instances and is so quiet as a baseline little things seem to be louder than they actually are. Literally one of the quietest cars ever made, the 430 is good but not on the same level even with new door seals in the 430 it can't quite match it. The 460 is also less sensitive to tires