Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lx570 vs gx460

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 06:57 PM
hamzazzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lx570 vs gx460

Trying to get a lx570 14-16 or gx 14-19
Currently driving a ls460 love floaty rides been driving ls400 and 430 but need more cargo space now have two babies and two huskies and like to travel long trips what you guys recommend and what are the differences between them
Old 05-05-22, 07:09 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

An LX is bigger so maybe you'd like that more. Both have a big V8 that's quite thirsty.
Old 05-05-22, 07:36 PM
hamzazzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xjokerz
An LX is bigger so maybe you'd like that more. Both have a big V8 that's quite thirsty.
what about the ride quality on both and if both have mark levension is there any difference?
Old 05-05-22, 08:34 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by hamzazzi
what about the ride quality on both and if both have mark levension is there any difference?
I'm honestly not sure about ride quality. I would guess that the LX rides better with the longer wheelbase but don't quote me on that.

Post this in the LX or GX forum. A lot of people post on those places that don't come over to Car Chat. You'll get some good feedback pretty quick on those forums.
Old 05-05-22, 08:36 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 278 Likes on 198 Posts

I would get the LX all day, any day and this is coming from a long time GX owner. One is a flagship SUV and the other is not.
Old 05-05-22, 09:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

LX all day, it's the SUV equal to the LS
Old 05-05-22, 09:17 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I agree, the LX is a Land Cruiser in a tux. Tons of room, very comfortable, quiet, smooth, everything you could ask for. If you can stomach the horrendous gas mileage, it's the perfect vehicle.
Old 05-05-22, 09:46 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

As having owned both the gx is not as comfortable as the lx. I had the luxury model for gx with all the bells and whistles including the air or hydraulic suspension?

I traded that in for another lx. So if you are getting the gx get the upgraded suspension or just stick with lx.

also you can’t come close to the ride of ls460 even in the lx. I think for that you want to look at other SUV’s like Mercedes’ GL or similar no body on frame
Old 05-05-22, 11:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZ214
As having owned both the gx is not as comfortable as the lx. I had the luxury model for gx with all the bells and whistles including the air or hydraulic suspension?

I traded that in for another lx. So if you are getting the gx get the upgraded suspension or just stick with lx.

also you can’t come close to the ride of ls460 even in the lx. I think for that you want to look at other SUV’s like Mercedes’ GL or similar no body on frame
The LS460 on air or even coils is really hard to tie even with the newest stuff. That's not me being biased, it's just really good......you need something like the S-class or a Rolls/Bentley to beat it and none of the "handling" type cars can do so since they have too much stiffness relatively speaking.

Last edited by Striker223; 05-05-22 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

To get something that has a sedan like ride you need a unibody vehicle. The LX rides well for what it is, but it doesnt ride like the LS. The only "SUV" I have driven that I think truly matches the ride quality of a great sedan like the LS is the full Range Rover. Even the Mercedes GLS doesn't ride as well as the LS or an S Class.
Old 05-06-22, 01:51 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

definitely LX if you can, but both are BOF trucks and will still jiggle around like one

even with the LX don't expect LS levels of total smoothness
Old 05-06-22, 04:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
definitely LX if you can, but both are BOF trucks and will still jiggle around like one

even with the LX don't expect LS levels of total smoothness
Correct. But it is (roughly) as quiet as an LS at freeway speeds which shocked me, a big truck like this. The engine isn't nearly as silky as my 4.3 but is still plenty smooth and very potent. It's butch, rumbles and snorts, and fits the truck well. I would rather have a UR engine in a truck and the UZ in my car, which I do so it's fine. It rides quite nice on the interstate, has a very very good ride actually. But as I've said it ain't gonna track like a bullet train at 90MPH like an LS or S-Class, no way. That doesn't mean it's still not lovely to drive on the freeway.

LX is still still plenty buttery but my LS430 is the smoother of the two.

OP: We originally wanted a GX, too, but decided to get LX and wait a little longer. I want the flagship truck, full 9 yards. Go for LX if you can.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-06-22 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 05:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To get something that has a sedan like ride you need a unibody vehicle. The LX rides well for what it is, but it doesnt ride like the LS. The only "SUV" I have driven that I think truly matches the ride quality of a great sedan like the LS is the full Range Rover. Even the Mercedes GLS doesn't ride as well as the LS or an S Class.
True but part of this class is durability and outright resistance to abuse, kind of like the LSs class is determined by ride/smoothness/effortlessness. The Range Rover indeed has a great ride period, not just for an SUV but I seriously doubt you can trash it like a LX or G wagon and that ability is important in this class IMO since it's part of the tradeoff for not having a car to receive the benefit of being able to just run over 10 inch logs and slide over rocks.
Old 05-06-22, 05:56 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Correct. But it is (roughly) as quiet as an LS at freeway speeds which shocked me, a big truck like this. The engine isn't nearly as silky as my 4.3 but is still plenty smooth and very potent. It's butch, rumbles and snorts, and fits the truck well. I would rather have a UR engine in a truck and the UZ in my car, which I do so it's fine. It rides quite nice on the interstate, has a very very good ride actually. But as I've said it ain't gonna track like a bullet train at 90MPH like an LS or S-Class, no way. That doesn't mean it's still not lovely to drive on the freeway.
oh yea the LX really impresses me on the highway! for a big heavy truck it maneuvers around and can make its way through a pack of slow pokes surprisingly well... i'm just saying it's clearly a truck and not a state of the art car produced using cutting edge methods, which is good because the truck vibe is different and has its own charm
Old 05-06-22, 06:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

LX is still still plenty buttery but my LS430 is the smoother of the two.
The LX is considerably louder than the LS on the highway. My LS460s (and my S Class) register about 58-59 dB at 75 MPH, the LX I drove last registered at 62. Thats roughly twice the ambient noise. Full Range Rover is also 59, which is amazing considering how square it is. My Pacifica registers 64.

Originally Posted by Striker223
True but part of this class is durability and outright resistance to abuse, kind of like the LSs class is determined by ride/smoothness/effortlessness. The Range Rover indeed has a great ride period, not just for an SUV but I seriously doubt you can trash it like a LX or G wagon and that ability is important in this class IMO since it's part of the tradeoff for not having a car to receive the benefit of being able to just run over 10 inch logs and slide over rocks.
Depends on what you want. For me since I don't need to do any of that I want the better riding vehicle. I'm not going to trash any vehicle.