Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Picking the Right Lexus < 35K

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-22 | 08:09 AM
imacoder
9th Gear

Default Picking the Right Lexus < 35K

Hello all,

Currently have a Toyota Yaris manual transmission and after 8 years together I am looking to get something more fun, comfortable and faster without getting me into trouble but ideally close in reliability to the Yaris. I have a dog that is already afraid of car rides after an accident so I am looking to keep the interior fairly quiet, even though I wish I could have a good sounding exhaust too (I realize these can be contradictory wants).

I have been all over the place with my picks... had interest in a 2022 GTI, then an 2022 Elantra N. I picked these models by mainly focusing on the horsepower and fun drives. Unfortunately, the infotainment of the GTI worries me if it stops working and I have an emergency also reliability. Hyundai/Kia seem to continue having recalls and bad warranty claim process when you need it. Even if the warranty claim process was easy I don't want to go through bad engine/fires/etc.

I now have a reservation on an Acura Integra as it seems it will be just as fun as the Civic Si, with a quieter interior but am still doubtful of this pick. A couple of problems with me is that I continue to be swayed by online commentary that seems reasonable, but perhaps may not be accurate. i.e. bad low horsepower on the dressed up civic for the Integra + CVT not being a great value.

Lexus now seems like a much great option but for under 35K I cannot pick a new one like I originally wanted and with the current market am unsure if the used value will be still worth it since I plan on keeping this 5+ years. Main question is, what model, years would you all recommend I look at? Thus far I have thought about 2019+ IS 300, ES 350. Haven't test driven any as I am still learning how to deal with salesman. My thinking is test drive these models locally, search within a large radius get a car of the same model and spec I drove looked at in a PPI by a good mechanic in that area and buy it if the price is worth it.

Advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-22 | 08:51 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Get the new GR Corrolla or Elantra N if you want a manual.

Lexus IS is ok but very dated, ES is not “fun” to drive. Look at BMW 330i - very fun, comfortable and fast for entry level luxury car.
Old 05-08-22 | 09:19 AM
imacoder
9th Gear

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Get the new GR Corrolla or Elantra N if you want a manual.

Lexus IS is ok but very dated, ES is not “fun” to drive. Look at BMW 330i - very fun, comfortable and fast for entry level luxury car.
IS being dated is something I have heard a lot. Mainly about it not having the fun factor be there as much and feeling too heavy... those comments are echoed even more for the ES. Only reason I mention having these as interest is because I value the reliability aspect more than the fu, I forgot to mention that. Also, having the Yaris be manual made it fairly "fun" but I now want to get an automatic being in the city more often. From my understanding the GR Corolla will most likely be priced just above my max 35K & it is a limited production car so finding one at sticker will be a PITA if not impossible with the crazy waitlists.

I saw your signature and cars you own so let me point some concerns I have and you can correct me. BMWs/Audis/Mercs are something I was considering but long term maintenance cost, even when not much goes wrong is going to be quite a bit more over something like a Lexus. I do understand these are going to be more fun cars and there was a point where I would've risked having to pay for more fun but that risk taking has decreased. I can do minor maintenance as I currently do oil change, coolant change, etc. but that is about it so I doubt I will save a lot of money, plus when you say 330i I assume I would also have to do CPO to get in under my price range, correct?
Old 05-08-22 | 09:19 AM
Felix
Pole Position

The dog wants a quiet smooth riding car = ES350.......
Old 05-08-22 | 09:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imacoder
IS being dated is something I have heard a lot. Mainly about it not having the fun factor be there as much and feeling too heavy... those comments are echoed even more for the ES. Only reason I mention having these as interest is because I value the reliability aspect more than the fu, I forgot to mention that. Also, having the Yaris be manual made it fairly "fun" but I now want to get an automatic being in the city more often. From my understanding the GR Corolla will most likely be priced just above my max 35K & it is a limited production car so finding one at sticker will be a PITA if not impossible with the crazy waitlists.

I saw your signature and cars you own so let me point some concerns I have and you can correct me. BMWs/Audis/Mercs are something I was considering but long term maintenance cost, even when not much goes wrong is going to be quite a bit more over something like a Lexus. I do understand these are going to be more fun cars and there was a point where I would've risked having to pay for more fun but that risk taking has decreased. I can do minor maintenance as I currently do oil change, coolant change, etc. but that is about it so I doubt I will save a lot of money, plus when you say 330i I assume I would also have to do CPO to get in under my price range, correct?
Driving an ES is completely boring. I've driven many as they were loaner cars during my Lexus service. If you want perfectly reliable and boring, it's a great car with a great ride. The IS350 F Sport is a fun car. Try it out.
Old 05-08-22 | 09:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Used ISF is my vote
Old 05-08-22 | 10:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

BMW 330i is not bad on maintenance- they sold a zillion of them.

Yes pickup a CPO from F30 generation. You can also look to see if you can get wagon version as those are cool. The 2L turbo in them makes great power and 8speed ZF trans is bulletproof. Otherwise there is not much electronics that will fail like higher priced more complex models like 7series etc.

Also join forum and local BMW CCA - plenty of independent mechanics that are out there for maintenance/repairs if needed.

Old 05-08-22 | 10:37 AM
xjokerz
Racer

How about a GS with the F-sport? The IS is a nice car. Don't let people sway you by saying it's dated, since that's very subjective. You might like it just fine.

A TLX is a good pick. You can get a 1st gen TLX V6 with the A-spec trim. These can also be had with their SH-AWD, which is arguably the best in the business. It'll also be a lot more reliable than the Germans.

Go take a look at some, test drive them, and let us know what you like/dislike.
Old 05-08-22 | 06:05 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

What about reaching a little higher on price to a new Audi A3 or Volvo S60? Volvo includes service too. Looks like you could get either under 40 before taxes.
Old 05-09-22 | 08:00 AM
CMK
Driver

I've been researching my next car for a while now and have settled on looking for a 2015+ GS 350 F-Sport RWD. It's comfortable and roomy, has a NA V6 that likes to rev, RWD, adjustable dampers so you can switch between comfort and handling, basic maintenance is easy and completely accessible to the DIYer, has many available comfort options, and is reliable.

This was after strongly considering a LS460 for a while, but realizing I wanted something more engaging to drive and is more economical.
Old 05-09-22 | 08:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CMK
I've been researching my next car for a while now and have settled on looking for a 2015+ GS 350 F-Sport RWD. It's comfortable and roomy, has a NA V6 that likes to rev, RWD, adjustable dampers so you can switch between comfort and handling, basic maintenance is easy and completely accessible to the DIYer, has many available comfort options, and is reliable.

This was after strongly considering a LS460 for a while, but realizing I wanted something more engaging to drive and is more economical.
Thats a great choice. I thought the GS was a much better car than the ES for a little more money.
Old 05-09-22 | 09:32 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CMK

The 460 is about the same on fuel though? Plus it's way better at high speed....
Old 05-09-22 | 10:03 AM
CMK
Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
The 460 is about the same on fuel though? Plus it's way better at high speed....
Fuel efficiency is one thing, and the difference between the 460 and 350 is negligible. But there's also a huge difference in oil capacity, making oil changes WAY more expensive, which adds up.

High-speed comfort is nice, but my commute is around 35mph the whole way and I don't travel very long distances often, so I wanted something a little more interesting around town.
Old 05-09-22 | 10:14 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CMK
Fuel efficiency is one thing, and the difference between the 460 and 350 is negligible. But there's also a huge difference in oil capacity, making oil changes WAY more expensive, which adds up.

High-speed comfort is nice, but my commute is around 35mph the whole way and I don't travel very long distances often, so I wanted something a little more interesting around town.
Ah, I wouldn't be able to live with the 3.5 around town. Too weak down low IMO but at least the GS chassis can be tossed around corners somewhat

Last edited by Striker223; 05-09-22 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-09-22 | 10:18 AM
CMK
Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Ah, I wouldn't be able to live with the 3.5 around town. Too weak down IMO but at least the GS chassis can be tossed around corners somewhat
I'm used to it...I have an S2000.

I still love the LS460. It just doesn't match up with my needs. If I had a longer commute with highway driving or needed to go long distances more often, it'd still be at the top of my list.

Quick Reply: Picking the Right Lexus < 35K