Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 09:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Let me guess, will never happen.
Correct, unless the laws of physics change. How would electric motors provide thrust for airplane jets? Please explain.

Are you serious? Transportation benefits everyone.
I agree. This still has nothing to do with computers, not remotely the same. ICEs have been perfected over the last 100 years. There wasn't a basically perfect or very very refined version of something like a computer before they came out.

And we'll all be better off. EVs are far far cleaner it's not even close and the energy to power them is endless (look up in the sky).
I guess.
Old 05-10-22, 09:36 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
WRONG. Tesla is NOT profitable as a company. Its stock is overvalued by 1000%.
LOL. Now I know you are just trolling. They are the 2nd most profitable auto maker on the plant behind Toyota and in the last year have eliminated any historical losses they've ever had. But don't let facts get in the way.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/20/tesl...s-q1-2022.html
Old 05-10-22, 09:46 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

WRONG. Tesla is NOT profitable as a company.
?????? What year is it?
Its stock is overvalued by 1000%.
Why only 1000% why not 10,000%. A million since you've jumped the shark anyway.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Correct, unless the laws of physics change. How would electric motors provide thrust for airplane jets? Please explain.
Electric plasma jet engine or some other yet unknown tech. Could take 50 years or longer but I'm optimistic about our future.
I agree. This still has nothing to do with computers, not remotely the same. ICEs have been perfected over the last 100 years. There wasn't a basically perfect or very very refined version of something like a computer before they came out.
Of course it does, predictions involving personal computers perfectly illustrates lack of vision. Same thing is happening now with electric vehicles etc.
I guess.
I'll take that as a yes.
Old 05-10-22, 09:50 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
LOL. Now I know you are just trolling. They are the 2nd most profitable auto maker on the plant behind Toyota and in the last year have eliminated any historical losses they've ever had. But don't let facts get in the way.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/20/tesl...s-q1-2022.html
I'm not trolling. Did you see the price of Tesla stock? It's $791 per share and Toyota is at $165 per share. Tesla is over priced big time and their quality s u c k s compared to Toyota's quality. You can believe in what you like though.
Old 05-10-22, 09:53 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Electric plasma jet engine or some other yet unknown tech. Could take 50 years or longer but I'm optimistic about our future.
You can't create laws of physics that do not exist to debate on CL forums, are you serious? Please research how thrust works with jets.

Of course it does, predictions involving personal computers perfectly illustrates lack of vision. Same thing is happening now with electric vehicles etc.
You missed my point. There were not already "things that do what computers do" that had been perfected over a century before "computers" came out. Same way both an S-Class and a Plaid get you point A to point B

I'll take that as a yes.
Take it as "whatever you say".
Old 05-10-22, 09:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not trolling. Did you see the price of Tesla stock? It's $791 per share and Toyota is at $165 per share. Tesla is over priced big time and their quality s u c k s compared to Toyota's quality. You can believe in what you like though.
You just said they weren't profitable? They made $3.3B of net income last quarter. In the trailing 12 months, they made over $8B in net income...seems very profitable to me But again, don't let facts get in the way.
Old 05-10-22, 09:59 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
You just said they weren't profitable? They made $3.3B of net income last quarter. In the trailing 12 months, they made over $8B in net income...seems very profitable to me But again, don't let facts get in the way.
...........and their stock is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. Their profit comes from this:
Tesla's dirty little secret: Its net profit doesn't come from selling cars | CNN Business
Old 05-10-22, 10:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Explain what this has to do with Tesla's balance sheet.

This makes me less optimistic about our future.
The problem with her is she is so to the left that she almost touches all the people that are to the right of her. In other words, extreme ideologies on both sides put the brakes on actual progress
Old 05-10-22, 10:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

...........and their stock is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. Their profit comes from this:
Tesla's dirty little secret: Its net profit doesn't come from selling cars | CNN Business
You referenced an Article thats over a year old. Last quarter, they made $3.3B. Regulatory credits were only $679M. That means they made over $2.5B with the rest of the business. Your understanding of that company is woefully outdated.
Old 05-10-22, 10:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The problem with her is she is so to the left that she almost touches all the people that are to the right of her. In other words, extreme ideologies on both sides put the brakes on actual progress
This has been happening for thousands of years at one time people were executed for practicing black magic which was actually science.
Old 05-10-22, 10:11 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
You referenced an Article thats over a year old. Last quarter, they made $3.3B. Regulatory credits were only $679M. That means they made over $2.5B with the rest of the business. Your understanding of that company is woefully outdated.
You're wrong again. But believe in what you like.
Old 05-10-22, 10:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

You're wrong again. But believe in what you like.
If you are actually interested in educating yourself, i've attached a link to the SEC documents. Go take a look at their financial statements for yourself (which are audited and verified by the government). Knock yourself out.

https://fintel.io/doc/sec-tesla-inc-...-25-19107-1588
Old 05-10-22, 10:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

I've removed a few posts of a political nature / debate content and generally rude. Let's keep this thread within the rules, polite and mature. If you can't do that do not post.
Old 05-10-22, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In my part of the country, we had seen a little relief at the pumps (not a whole lot) the last couple of weeks as world-crude-prices per barred dropped. But now, it's back on a upward trend, averaging around $4.50 for 87-octane Tier-1 Name-brands. One station near my place (an Exxon Gas-Mart) consistently charges $0.40 to $0.50 cents more than anybody else in that area, and is now at $4.99. The owner has done that for years. I don't now how he stays in business with that kind of blatant gouging, except for the fact that his is the first station right off an exit from a very busy Interstate-66, with many people having sat in traffic-jams on I-66 and perhaps low fuel-tanks when getting off.

(Steve, you probably know that exit...123 North to Vienna/Oakton from westbound 66 in Fairfax.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-10-22 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-10-22, 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

WRONG. Tesla is NOT profitable as a company. Its stock is overvalued by 1000%.
Not a 1000% overpriced. I would say the stock should be about $50 based on their performance,

Quick Reply: What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?