Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 11:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not a 1000% overpriced. I would say the stock should be about $50 based on their performance,
$50? So they are expected to have about a $17 EPS for the year which most analysts are expecting. You are saying that they should be trading at 3x earnings? Really? LOL.
Old 05-10-22, 11:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

ok enough of this about tesla valuation and stock. it's off topic.
Old 05-10-22, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I won't necessarily agree with her $50 figure, but I do agree with Jill that Tesla stock is enormously overpriced. It has a history of attracting investor money like bees to honey, mostly from hype and image.

Oops, sorry, bit.....I had posted this before I saw your latest request.
Old 05-10-22, 11:43 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

You guys are still ignoring the fact that every mode of transportation consists of about 1/4 of all greenhouse emissions. When you take out thousands of passenger flights and all the private jets on a daily basis, ships, trains, etc and all the commercial vehicles, that leaves a very, very small percentage for regular vehicles. They should leave our cars alone and go after what is actually the problem. A car that gets 30 mpg isn't going to have any kind of negative impact.

They ignore the fact that electricity generates another 1/4 of all our emissions.
Old 05-10-22, 11:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xjokerz
You guys are still ignoring the fact that every mode of transportation consists of about 1/4 of all greenhouse emissions. When you take out thousands of passenger flights and all the private jets on a daily basis, ships, trains, etc and all the commercial vehicles, that leaves a very, very small percentage for regular vehicles. They should leave our cars alone and go after what is actually the problem. A car that gets 30 mpg isn't going to have any kind of negative impact.

They ignore the fact that electricity generates another 1/4 of all our emissions.
No. The majority of transportation related emission is related to passenger vehicles. See the link.

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-transport

If you have other evidence, source it.
Old 05-10-22, 01:39 PM
CMK
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In my part of the country, we had seen a little relief at the pumps (not a whole lot) the last couple of weeks as world-crude-prices per barred dropped. But now, it's back on a upward trend, averaging around $4.50 for 87-octane Tier-1 Name-brands. One station near my place (an Exxon Gas-Mart) consistently charges $0.40 to $0.50 cents more than anybody else in that area, and is now at $4.99. The owner has done that for years. I don't now how he stays in business with that kind of blatant gouging, except for the fact that his is the first station right off an exit from a very busy Interstate-66, with many people having sat in traffic-jams on I-66 and perhaps low fuel-tanks when getting off.

(Steve, you probably know that exit...123 North to Vienna/Oakton from westbound 66 in Fairfax.
Yeah, same here down in Hampton Roads. I was cautiously optimistic that there'd be some $3.999 gas available sometime soon.

Then today at Costco it was $4.129 and the lines were crazy. Everywhere else it was $4.299 and up.
Old 05-10-22, 01:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CMK
Yeah, same here down in Hampton Roads. I was cautiously optimistic that there'd be some $3.999 gas available sometime soon.

Then today at Costco it was $4.129 and the lines were crazy. Everywhere else it was $4.299 and up.
That Costco gas line is insane. I've never had a Supercharging session last as long as it took time for my wife to get gas at Costco (30 min).
Old 05-10-22, 02:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
My Neighbours lawn mower emits more harmful gases than my cars. Is a very old power running so rich I can smell the fumes every time they turn it on.

but they are not emission tested or regulated.
It shocked me when I discovered my lawn mower is worse than my car.....and two stokes are even worse despite being so tiny
Old 05-10-22, 02:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is not an excuse to burn it and poison the air.
Sure but the issue is efforts are more effective directed elsewhere if that's the concern, you would have a better effect by just reverting to paper bags and glass drink containers. Plastic production and "recycling" is a major problem due to nearly complete lack of regs where it is actually done

Personal cars are one of the last places to be dumping this much effort and time when the whole car fleet is a blip compared to a few heavy transport ships or a handful of factories overseas
Old 05-10-22, 02:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I don't think EVs are taking over anytime soon and gasoline sure as hell isn't going anywhere, but I would guess that in that scenario gas prices wouldn't change much. Maybe a little lower.

Source? I believe it. If they were still around people would still be buying huge V8 11MPG SUVs in droves. It's like a boat, someone who can afford a $120,000 Escalade can pony up at the pump no problem, as much as I don't like these stupid prices.

What planet are you living on, sir? "Eventually" being when? The year 2400?

Gas will go back down once we get people in charge again who aren't anti fossil fuel (or who say they aren't but still have a huge carbon footprint), trust me.

Which will never happen, ever. Mark my words. It's tough to take many things in life seriously anymore these days with everyone so full of it. Virtue signaling is a big thing these days/years.

Lol yep. Some of these people need to research the emissions of tanker ships that bring us all of our stuff. It is something absolutely ridiculous, like the largest 10 container ships on Earth give off more emissions than every single car on the planet? I may be slightly off but it definitely will put things into perspective.

That stuff too. I drive a 20 year old luxury car that is an ULEV. It was sort of a big deal then but everyone didn't pretend to be obsessed with being green at that time.

(College) Kids that generation don't have any money yet, either. And they're too brainwashed to realize the Uber they ride in is harming the environment, according to their "rules". Wait 20 years until that generation has money and they'll be wanting big boats and SUVs as well that suck down gas, first class plane tickets (same carbon footprint as coach but, I'm sure offensive to some "how dare they"), etc.. It happens with every generation though it's more extreme now than it was. Once they all start making money having kids to feed and send to college, mortgages, insurance, saving for retirement, their fiscal outlook changes. Like clockwork. I feel like my generation is finally being left alone because we are good earners now and are, for the most part, just the right amount of progressive, but not nearly at the plain ridiculous levels of progressiveness the current 20 year olds are now. Our heads aren't in the sand.
People my age tend to say one thing and do QUITE another, they say they want to save the earth etc etc but lust over the newest Range Rover and other land barges. I find it entertaining they aren't honest with themselves in regards to what they really want.
Old 05-10-22, 02:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sure but the issue is efforts are more effective directed elsewhere if that's the concern, you would have a better effect by just reverting to paper bags and glass drink containers. Plastic production and "recycling" is a major problem due to nearly complete lack of regs where it is actually done

Personal cars are one of the last places to be dumping this much effort and time when the whole car fleet is a blip compared to a few heavy transport ships or a handful of factories overseas
No. Personal cars still make a huge portion of emissions. See link below. Other studies i've seen align with that data. If you have evidence that contradicts it, I'd like to see the source.

Old 05-10-22, 02:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Imagine telling the elites and celebrities- no more private jets and private yachts rather telling average folk to buy expensive EVs! Sounds to me like a much more reasonable solution in a fairytale world.
They also are not really the issue. The issue is modern shipping and production tactics, offshoring pollution doesn't mean it's gone....it just puts it somewhere else with no regulations so we can still get the lowest possible price.

Ask 99.9999% of people if they would by the exact same thing for 3-4x the price with the upside it's made responsibly. People show every single day they don't actually care about that factor and just want the most they can get for the lowest cost to them and consequences to others overseas and the environment be damned. The insult on top of that behavior is pretending to care IMO, at least be honest and consistent with action to your espoused ideals.

I actively say I don't care, but however ironically it may be I actually take far more steps to care than most.
Old 05-10-22, 02:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Cars have an immense impact on greenhouse gases. Its complete myth that says otherwise. I've provided a simple link below that breaks out transportation by category. Plenty of other sources that tell the same story...just Google it.

If the assumption is that there is climate change due to greenhouse gases caused by humans, the logical assumption is to try and fix it. Right now, tackling consumer transportation is the low hanging fruit. Get battery tech better and to scale, then branch to green energy storage and commercial freight. Doing nothing is far more stupid and just plain lazy. It takes baby steps to fix such a large problem and other countries are at least on the same page on this one issue. So yes, there are plenty of other issues but you have to start somewhere and there is at least a viable path for this segment.
Want to really fix it? OUTLAW goods produced that have a disregard to emissions during shipping and production, use the same laws we have for car emissions standards for all goods.

That will fix the issues near instantly. It will just cost people 3-10 times as much to buy anything....
Old 05-10-22, 02:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
cars emit something like 96% less emissions than they did in the 60s/70s. The biggest gain was to have positive crank case ventilation so oil didnt leak out from the oil pan due to the pressure. That last few % is proving very expensive and design limiting. Engines could have a lot more power nowadays if it didnt have to comply with ever increasing emissions standards. If an engine can have more power it doesnt need to be as big in displacement.

Real question is what transportation type emits the most emissions per mile travelled.
Obscene power. More than any EV has for the same price, junkyard 5.3s with a cam and 12 psi give over 700. 5.0s and LT engines and hemis 1000 plus
Old 05-10-22, 02:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Want to really fix it? OUTLAW goods produced that have a disregard to emissions during shipping and production, use the same laws we have for car emissions standards for all goods.

That will fix the issues near instantly. It will just cost people 3-10 times as much to buy anything....
Thats a different argument. I'm just fixing a stupid myth that passenger cars are clean and have nothing to do with emission which is far from reality. Passenger cars are still the majority of pollution in the transportation sector. If transportation is roughly 25-30% of total emissions and passenger cars are roughly 40-45%, then about 10-13% of total emissions would be positively impacted by going to a cleaner / more efficient source. From there, you start tackling other sectors but has it start somewhere and passenger cars have a viable path forward so why not.

Quick Reply: What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?