Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 03:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
People my age tend to say one thing and do QUITE another, they say they want to save the earth etc etc but lust over the newest Range Rover and other land barges. I find it entertaining they aren't honest with themselves in regards to what they really want.
I'm 40, IDK how old you are but I would guess you're reasonably near my age.

And I agree. No fakery here! I knew exactly what I wanted and that's what I have.

I love how the EV crowd with very expensive EVs they pull into their massive homes with 5xs the carbon footprint of an average house. But their cars are saving the world at least! That and your example, it just doesn't make sense. That said it's none of my business what whom spends on what, they can do whatever.
Old 05-10-22, 03:05 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

CO2, unlike solar cells and EVs, is actually making the world greener.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2436/c...reenerfor-now/
Old 05-10-22, 03:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

And I agree. No fakery here! I knew exactly what I wanted and that's what I have.

I love how the EV crowd with very expensive EVs they pull into their massive homes with 5xs the carbon footprint of an average house. But their cars are saving the world at least! That and your example, it just doesn't make sense. That said it's none of my business what whom spends on what, they can do whatever.
Your assumptions are completely backwards. Expensive EVs are owned by Californians who own the majority of EVs in the United States. The average California home is far more expensive and far smaller than the average home in other states therefore have much smaller carbon footprints. BTW, California also owns the most solar on rooftops so even less carbon footprint than your original assumption...i bet on average, most california homes have FAAAAR less carbon footprint than average homes across the US.
Old 05-10-22, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
CO2, unlike solar cells and EVs, is actually making the world greener.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2436/c...reenerfor-now/
You left out the end of the title of the article, “for now”
Old 05-10-22, 03:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Your assumptions are completely backwards. Expensive EVs are owned by Californians who own the majority of EVs in the United States. The average California home is far more expensive and far smaller than the average home in other states therefore have much smaller carbon footprints. BTW, California also owns the most solar on rooftops so even less carbon footprint than your original assumption...i bet on average, most california homes have FAAAAR less carbon footprint than average homes across the US.
Not everything is about or located in California. EVs are great for SoCal. Minneapolis? Toronto? Not so much. There are expensive EVs everywhere, including here.

We had absolutely outrageous power bills for a 1br apartment when we lived in California, FWIW. I want to say our home here the bill is about the same for 4xs the square footage.
Old 05-10-22, 03:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,773 Posts

That's just way off what you are saying, and frankly pretty insulting. Not everyone buys EV's to save the world, people like me buy them because they are technologically superior, more efficient, generate more HP while burning less energy. And not every EV owner is rich and has a massive home. It's like saying all people who buy pickup trucks are poor trash that live in trailer parks. I'm pretty much done with all the ignorant statements made by people. I'm done here with this forum
Old 05-10-22, 03:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's just way off what you are saying, and frankly pretty insulting. Not everyone buys EV's to save the world, people like me buy them because they are technologically superior, more efficient, generate more HP while burning less energy. And not every EV owner is rich and has a massive home. It's like saying all people who buy pickup trucks are poor trash that live in trailer parks. I'm pretty much done with all the ignorant statements made by people. I'm done here with this forum
I know so many people in the housing industry from builders to sellers to contractors. Here, where I'm from, that's generally the case, with lots of new expensive builds chargers go in the garages. And you really don't need to be insulted, it's none of my business what you or people do. It's just stupid to buy a Tesla thinking you're impressing people by saving the planet (let's not pretend those people don't exist; I wasn't directly aiming that toward you) yet pulling it into a garage to a house with an $800 power bill....I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Also, just so you know those of us with trucks have been painted in those terms you describe, repeatedly.
Old 05-10-22, 03:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

What makes Minneapolis or Toronto not good for EVs? LOL

Its stupid to buy anything to impress anybody. What makes you think EV owners are doing that? Like I have said many times, I know a lot of EV owners, not one of them bought their EV out of environmental concerns. Not one.
Old 05-10-22, 03:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I know so many people in the housing industry from builders to sellers to contractors. Here, where I'm from, that's generally the case, with lots of new expensive builds chargers go in the garages. And you really don't need to be insulted, it's none of my business what you or people do. It's just stupid to buy a Tesla thinking you're impressing people by saving the planet (let's not pretend those people don't exist; I wasn't directly aiming that toward you) yet pulling it into a garage to a house with an $800 power bill....I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Also, just so you know those of us with trucks have been painted in those terms you describe, repeatedly.
What makes you think people buy Teslas for green reasons. Its not even in the top 5 attributes for buying reasons (see link below). Most of Tesla's buying attributes relate more to brand perception, styling and speed. This climate change discussion on EVs have nothing to do with Tesla. It's been a discussion on why regulators are forcing this change.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...not-musk-fans/
Old 05-10-22, 04:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What makes Minneapolis or Toronto not good for EVs? LOL
Winters when a high of 0 degrees is normal.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its stupid to buy anything to impress anybody. What makes you think EV owners are doing that? Like I have said many times, I know a lot of EV owners, not one of them bought their EV out of environmental concerns. Not one.
So your position is that someone who buys a $140k Plaid doesn't want to impress anyone?

Originally Posted by EZZ
What makes you think people buy Teslas for green reasons. Its not even in the top 5 attributes for buying reasons (see link below). Most of Tesla's buying attributes relate more to brand perception, styling and speed. This climate change discussion on EVs have nothing to do with Tesla. It's been a discussion on why regulators are forcing this change.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...not-musk-fans/
Car and Driver has been garbage fake news, EV pushers for years now. It's about as credible to me as CNN. Also, do you know how many forums I read where there are lots, and lots and LOTS of EV (not just Tesla) owners touting their cheap charging bills, thinking Uncle Sam won't ever get to them? And good for them, though Uncle Sam is coming big time.
Old 05-10-22, 04:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I'm 26 lol! I'm actually in the process of adding a bunch of insulation to my attic since my house is from 93 and doesn't have much/anything near what it should. Also putting solar reflecting/insulating tint on the windows since the back wall is mostly glass
Old 05-10-22, 04:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

So your position is that someone who buys a $140k Plaid doesn't want to impress anyone?

Car and Driver has been garbage fake news, EV pushers for years now. It's about as credible to me as CNN. Also, do you know how many forums I read where there are lots, and lots and LOTS of EV (not just Tesla) owners touting their cheap charging bills, thinking Uncle Sam won't ever get to them? And good for them, though Uncle Sam is coming big time.
Whats the difference between a $140k Plaid and $100k regular Model S visually. Not much but a badge? Nobody cares if you buy a Tesla because its not that impressive when half the neighborhood has one. I bet you that the Plaid owner couldn't give two ****s about saving the environment because they just paid $50k to get an extra 1s of speed from 0-60.

I gave you a perfectly reasonable results of a survey that mirror my own experience with EV ownership. I bought mine because it was faster than just about every car on the road with minimal fuel and maintenance costs. There are other motivations for sure but being green isn't usually at the top of them and THAT WAS THE POINT.
Old 05-10-22, 04:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Its called showing off the latest trend. I actually kinda do the same and jokingly mock my friends that my cars have 2-4 times the power as theirs and get better mpg.....

Same thing with the Tesla owners, it's a flaunting thing. You do similar with your "bragging" of how capable and durable your 570 is lol! Everyone tends to do so when they have nice stuff, it's a way the excitement and positive experience bleeds over since that's what we have been conditioned to expect/do/see when someone has something nice.

To address my ragging in my friends you MAY externally think I care about mpg or whatever but if you know or ask me you would know I don't. It's just nice to flaunt 575hp at 31 average
Old 05-10-22, 04:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

same thing happened with hybrids. The hybrid cars that sold the best were the ones that looked like hybrids like the prius, people didnt want the hybrid camrys or accords, etc as much. They want to be seen in a hybrid not a car that has a hybrid underneath
Old 05-10-22, 04:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Whats the difference between a $140k Plaid and $100k regular Model S visually. Not much but a badge? Nobody cares if you buy a Tesla because its not that impressive when half the neighborhood has one. I bet you that the Plaid owner couldn't give two ****s about saving the environment because they just paid $50k to get an extra 1s of speed from 0-60.

I gave you a perfectly reasonable results of a survey that mirror my own experience with EV ownership. I bought mine because it was faster than just about every car on the road with minimal fuel and maintenance costs. There are other motivations for sure but being green isn't usually at the top of them and THAT WAS THE POINT.
I clearly said my opinion wasn't directed at you. No need to get insulted. Car and Driver is absolute garbage, I canceled my subscription after 30 plus years. And if you think the enviro people don't drive these with self righteous attitudes at all you're just wrong. I did not say this is all EV owners or you, but there are lots of those out there.

Quick Reply: What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?