Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Winters when a high of 0 degrees is normal.
And?

So your position is that someone who buys a $140k Plaid doesn't want to impress anyone?
Not to impress anybody about how much they want to save the planet no.

Car and Driver has been garbage fake news, EV pushers for years now. It's about as credible to me as CNN. Also, do you know how many forums I read where there are lots, and lots and LOTS of EV (not just Tesla) owners touting their cheap charging bills, thinking Uncle Sam won't ever get to them? And good for them, though Uncle Sam is coming big time.
Oh please lol. Nothing is going to be credible to you unless it says what you believe.

What I find funny is that your own indignation about EVs is whats "self righteous".
Old 05-10-22, 04:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Its called showing off the latest trend. I actually kinda do the same and jokingly mock my friends that my cars have 2-4 times the power as theirs and get better mpg.....

Same thing with the Tesla owners, it's a flaunting thing. You do similar with your "bragging" of how capable and durable your 570 is lol! Everyone tends to do so when they have nice stuff, it's a way the excitement and positive experience bleeds over since that's what we have been conditioned to expect/do/see when someone has something nice.
e
Yeah but the thing is, I never said "bragging" is wrong, though I wouldn't choose that specific word. If I bought a car that did 0-60 in 2 seconds flat I'd probably show it off to my friends, or any $140k car for that matter.
Old 05-10-22, 04:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And?
Range goes down the tubes in severely cold weather. I really don't want to start this dead tired debate up again.

Not to impress anybody about how much they want to save the planet no.
Ok I'll grant you that one. Though I'm sure a Plaid owner or two has touted that it's an EV. And good for them.

Oh please lol. Nothing is going to be credible to you unless it says what you believe.
Right back at ya, though it's not what I believe. It's what I know. Car and Driver has become a disgrace, the founders of that magazine are spinning. I'm talking about how they've gone pure political garbage, not just touting EVs as the next Jesus Christ. (Which is very annoying too and they do plenty of.)

What I find funny is that your own indignation about EVs is whats "self righteous".
What I find funny is when you try to analyze me.
Old 05-10-22, 04:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I clearly said my opinion wasn't directed at you. No need to get insulted. Car and Driver is absolute garbage, I canceled my subscription after 30 plus years. And if you think the enviro people don't drive these with self righteous attitudes at all you're just wrong. I did not say this is all EV owners or you, but there are lots of those out there.
I didn't take what you said as an insult. I was just pointing out that C&D mirrored my own experience. I don't think we have been insulting each other at all and have just been discussing our points. I don't find C&D any better / worse than any of the other publications out there.
Old 05-10-22, 04:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I didn't take what you said as an insult. I was just pointing out that C&D mirrored my own experience. I don't think we have been insulting each other at all and have just been discussing our points. I don't find C&D any better / worse than any of the other publications out there.
Someone did, apologies if I said you. I'm not trying to insult anyone either. C&D is the worst IMO, Motor Trend is getting that way fast.
Old 05-10-22, 04:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

If we decide to move to CA, we'll get an electric car. Nothing about saving the Earth. Nothing about speed/power. Nothing about the latest trends or trying to show off. I'd get an electric, likely a Tesla, because I'll have a long commute. I don't want to go to the gas station every other day. I don't want to pay for oil changes every three months. I don't want to burn a bunch of gas (money) while sitting in traffic. I hardly think I'm alone in these motivations.
Old 05-10-22, 04:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Someone did, apologies if I said you. I'm not trying to insult anyone either. C&D is the worst IMO, Motor Trend is getting that way fast.
I didn't take it personally, apology accepted . I'm just done discussing EV's. For now...
Old 05-10-22, 04:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
If we decide to move to CA, we'll get an electric car. Nothing about saving the Earth. Nothing about speed/power. Nothing about the latest trends or trying to show off. I'd get an electric, likely a Tesla, because I'll have a long commute. I don't want to go to the gas station every other day. I don't want to pay for oil changes every three months. I don't want to burn a bunch of gas (money) while sitting in traffic. I hardly think I'm alone in these motivations.
You're not alone but why "if you move to CA"?
Old 05-10-22, 04:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

You're not alone but why "if you move to CA"?
Because I don't have a commute right now in WA. I spend hardly any money in gas. But in CA, I'll have a long commute, and for my purposes, it seems clear than an electric car would make sense in that application.
Old 05-10-22, 05:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Because I don't have a commute right now in WA. I spend hardly any money in gas. But in CA, I'll have a long commute, and for my purposes, it seems clear than an electric car would make sense in that application.
Fair enough, though I don't know how much I'd trust a 300 mile range in traffic where I was in the thick of LA with a "long commute". At least where I was.
Old 05-10-22, 05:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Fair enough, though I don't know how much I'd trust a 300 mile range in traffic where I was in the thick of LA with a "long commute". At least where I was.
The commute would be about 80 miles each way, so 160 round trip. I'd just top up over night in the garage. I'm sure that would be fine. I don't need 300 miles of range.
Old 05-10-22, 05:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The commute would be about 80 miles each way, so 160 round trip. I'd just top up over night in the garage. I'm sure that would be fine. I don't need 300 miles of range.
Yeah...thats nothing for a Tesla. I get that hooning it at 90mph average speed. The autopilot is wonderful for a long commute if you just wanna relax too. I think most EVs would get that range now just charging to 80%...except the Toyota
Old 05-10-22, 05:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, in traffic, the Tesla gets waaaaay better range. You can probably get 350 miles if traffic was crawling at 50mph vs. 250 miles at 75mph.
Old 05-10-22, 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Range goes down the tubes in severely cold weather. I really don't want to start this dead tired debate up again.
Apparently you do because you brought it up. Range decreases, but it doesn't go "down the tubes" lol. I promise you there are many many EV owners in Minneapolis and Toronto.

Right back at ya, though it's not what I believe. It's what I know. Car and Driver has become a disgrace, the founders of that magazine are spinning. I'm talking about how they've gone pure political garbage, not just touting EVs as the next Jesus Christ. (Which is very annoying too and they do plenty of.)
Its a car magazine, I don't see how one becomes a "disgrace"....and it is what you believe, nothing more.

Like it or not, EVs are the future. Its obvious that they are. Every carmaker has committed to being EV only basically.

What I find funny is when you try to analyze me.
I'm not analyzing you, but you have an idea of what a car should be and you tout that idea as what cars should be. Your opinion there is in direct conflict with where cars are going, and to you these things are a travesty. That is the definition of self righteousness. Its not just EVs its engines, emissions, etc.

Just don't accuse other people of being self righteous when you yourself are self righteous.

The industry is going to go the way its going to go, and constantly complaining about what is absolutely going to be the future is just annoying for everybody. Within the next 10 years, the only new cars worth being excited about are going to be EVs. Like it or not. I like sedans...sedans are dead. I like V8s...V8s are dead. Me complaining about that achieves nothing.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-10-22 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-10-22, 05:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Apparently you do because you brought it up. Range decreases, but it doesn't go "down the tubes" lol. I promise you there are many many EV owners in Minneapolis and Toronto.
Range is affected between 30-40%, that's significant. I'm sure there are tons of EV owners in the more wealthy areas.

Its a car magazine, I don't see how one becomes a "disgrace"...
The same way every nightly news at 6:30 is a disgrace. Same way USA Today has become a disgrace, Time Magazine, I could go on. C&D now just spins yarn trying to get us all excited about EVs.

Like it or not, EVs are the future. Its obvious that they are. Every carmaker has committed to being EV only basically.
That's a broad generalization, and commitment does not mean down in stone if you read the fine print. Goalposts already are and will move more.

I'm not analyzing you, but you have an idea of what a car should be and you tout that idea as what cars should be. Your opinion there is in direct conflict with where cars are going, and to you these things are a travesty. That is the definition of self righteousness. Its not just EVs its engines, emissions, etc.
So what? Can I not have an opinion? I don't claim moral superiority, I just express my disdain. That's not self righteousness.

Just don't accuse other people of being self righteous when you yourself are self righteous.
Don't throw your opinions out there like they are facts like you love to do 24/7. I also find that hilarious coming from you of all people.

The industry is going to go the way its going to go, and constantly complaining about what is absolutely going to be the future is just annoying for everybody.
"Everybody" is free to add me to the ignore list or just scroll on, yourself included.

Within the next 10 years, the only new cars worth being excited about are going to be EVs. Like it or not. I like sedans...sedans are dead. I like V8s...V8s are dead. Me complaining about that achieves nothing.
That statement is absolute garbage.

Quick Reply: What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?