Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 05:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is pure stupidity, the people who are flying private jets pretend to care about the environment and they are pushing this EV nonsense so they can get a piece of the government pie. More power to them, but I can't believe people are actually taking this nonsense seriously.
Old 05-10-22, 05:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Someone did, apologies if I said you. I'm not trying to insult anyone either. C&D is the worst IMO, Motor Trend is getting that way fast.
I’m about to cancel my MT subscription although i think its free. Been subscriber for over 25years now lol

The last 2yrs is nothing but EV nonsense and SUVs.
Their editor Ed Loh is a classic California individual who is preoccupied being savior of the environment rather than how much more HP the new Hellcat makes.

I have no problem having EV version of MotorTrend but why ruin the original. I doubt EV dudes sit around and read these worthless articles anyway. Each one is to convince us ICE owners how EV are “here to stay” and “could be just as fun”…..give me a break!
Old 05-10-22, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Range is affected between 30-40%, that's significant. I'm sure there are tons of EV owners in the more wealthy areas.
Try 20%:

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...e-a5751769461/

And if you have a car that gets 350 miles of range, that means you only have 280 miles of range, which is plenty for the vast majority of people. As battery tech improves, that performance will also improve.

The same way every nightly news at 6:30 is a disgrace. Same way USA Today has become a disgrace, Time Magazine, I could go on. C&D now just spins yarn trying to get us all excited about EVs.
Thats your opinion, I don't find any of those things a "disgrace". This is simply your politics at work.

And...many many people if not most people are excited about EVs. Like I said EVs ARE the future, so why not get excited about them?

That's a broad generalization, and commitment does not mean down in stone if you read the fine print. Goalposts already are and will move more.
They are absolutely the future. Carmakers aren't going to do a 180 and change their future plans, they have invested too much in this. Like it or not, almost all luxury vehicles will be EVs within 10 years, and it will trickle down from there. Mercedes for instance has already said the W223 is the last ICE S Class, for instance. As much as you don't want it to be so, it will be so.

So what? Can I not have an opinion? I don't claim moral superiority, I just express my disdain. That's not self righteousness.
Of course you can, just don't pretend its the way things are...its just your opinion. Your disdain is absolutely self righteousness.

Don't throw your opinions out there like they are facts like you love to do 24/7. I also find that hilarious coming from you of all people.
Hey pot, its the kettle. This is a quote from you from this very thread:

it's not what I believe. It's what I know. Car and Driver has become a disgrace
That is nothing but your opinion, its what you believe nothing more.

"Everybody" is free to add me to the ignore list or just scroll on, yourself included.
I'm about to, which is a shame because I like talking to you about many things, but every EV thread turns into an argument with you and a few other people talking about how terrible EVs are, and its tiresome. More and more EVs are coming out, which means more and more we're going to be talking about them and it would be really nice if those threads didnt degrade into this.

That statement is absolute garbage.
Its the truth, just look at what is being developed. Nobody is developing ICE cars any longer, so within a certain number of years there won't be any to get excited about.
Old 05-10-22, 06:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
This is pure stupidity, the people who are flying private jets pretend to care about the environment and they are pushing this EV nonsense so they can get a piece of the government pie. More power to them, but I can't believe people are actually taking this nonsense seriously.
This EV push is creating a brand new sector even a new industry. Then you have TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS in investment up for grabs from various governments and raising funds from investment firms etc. Lots of ppl stand to get very rich which would not be possible with ICE status quo. The Big 3 in the US are at the government mercy so they had to play ball.

At the end of the day - China will reap the most benefits while average ppl will unfortunately pay more to drive.

I just filled up at $5.35 - most i have paid as far as i can remember.
Old 05-10-22, 06:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm 40, IDK how old you are but I would guess you're reasonably near my age.

And I agree. No fakery here! I knew exactly what I wanted and that's what I have.

I love how the EV crowd with very expensive EVs they pull into their massive homes with 5xs the carbon footprint of an average house. But their cars are saving the world at least! That and your example, it just doesn't make sense. That said it's none of my business what whom spends on what, they can do whatever.
Don’t forgot that leasing is BAD for carbon footprint. Most EVs are leased.
Old 05-10-22, 06:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Don’t forgot that leasing is BAD for carbon footprint. Most EVs are leased.
Actually, I would guess that fewer EVs are leased than ICE cars because leasing isn’t available on many of them, and it’s not advantageous on most of them.

I looked it up, it’s 80% but that doesn’t include Tesla, which has the most market share.
Old 05-10-22, 06:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This EV push is creating a brand new sector even a new industry. Then you have TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS in investment up for grabs from various governments and raising funds from investment firms etc. Lots of ppl stand to get very rich which would not be possible with ICE status quo. The Big 3 in the US are at the government mercy so they had to play ball.
They saw how much Tesla got, so they jumped on the band wagon, lol. Hey, it'll trickle down.
Old 05-10-22, 06:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Try 20%:

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...e-a5751769461/

And if you have a car that gets 350 miles of range, that means you only have 280 miles of range, which is plenty for the vast majority of people. As battery tech improves, that performance will also improve.

Thats your opinion, I don't find any of those things a "disgrace". This is simply your politics at work.

And...many many people if not most people are excited about EVs. Like I said EVs ARE the future, so why not get excited about them?

They are absolutely the future. Carmakers aren't going to do a 180 and change their future plans, they have invested too much in this. Like it or not, almost all luxury vehicles will be EVs within 10 years, and it will trickle down from there. Mercedes for instance has already said the W223 is the last ICE S Class, for instance. As much as you don't want it to be so, it will be so.

Of course you can, just don't pretend its the way things are...its just your opinion. Your disdain is absolutely self righteousness.

Hey pot, its the kettle. This is a quote from you from this very thread:

That is nothing but your opinion, its what you believe nothing more.

I'm about to, which is a shame because I like talking to you about many things, but every EV thread turns into an argument with you and a few other people talking about how terrible EVs are, and its tiresome. More and more EVs are coming out, which means more and more we're going to be talking about them and it would be really nice if those threads didnt degrade into this.

Its the truth, just look at what is being developed. Nobody is developing ICE cars any longer, so within a certain number of years there won't be any to get excited about.
The issue is you are not really a “car guy”.

You like luxury cars that are quiet and comfortable. You don’t enjoy performance vehicles, engine noise, handling etc. So for “you” EVs are a positive. But for most car enthusiasts that like Engines and mechanical noises, tinkering with the car - its a HUGE change and really eliminates most of what we like about a car in the 1st place.

Try to look it at from another point of view.
Old 05-10-22, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To comment on leasing EVs, that’s another big shift in the industry. You will find that in the future more and more cars will be leased or in some sort of subscription program vs purchased by consumers. Technology is moving so fast people don’t want to buy EVs and hold for a long period of time.
Old 05-10-22, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You like luxury cars that are quiet and comfortable. You don’t enjoy performance vehicles, engine noise, handling etc. So for “you” EVs are a positive. But for most car enthusiasts that like Engines and mechanical noises, tinkering with the car - its a HUGE change and really eliminates most of what we like about a car in the 1st place.

I am certainly a car guy lol, I just like different cars than you. Anybody who spends hours a day talking about cars is a car guy.

I 100% understand your point of view, I really do, but that doesn’t change the way the industry is moving, and complaining about it constantly in every thread isn’t going to change that. This is happening, like it or not.

Im not saying this shift is right or wrong, it’s just reality. It’s happening.

Its like mmarshall complaining in every thread for YEARS about sedans vs crossovers…and then he buys a crossover. You will all be driving EVs eventually too.
Old 05-10-22, 06:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

That's the issue I'm facing, if it comes to that I'll just hire someone to drive lol! No point doing it myself anymore if I get nothing out of it
Old 05-10-22, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You’ll be driving an EV and enjoying it just fine lol
Old 05-10-22, 06:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

^ When they ban meat, you'll eat the bugs and enjoy it just fine, lol.
Old 05-10-22, 06:23 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I am certainly a car guy lol, I just like different cars than you. Anybody who spends hours a day talking about cars is a car guy.

I 100% understand your point of view, I really do, but that doesn’t change the way the industry is moving, and complaining about it constantly in every thread isn’t going to change that. This is happening, like it or not.

Im not saying this shift is right or wrong, it’s just reality. It’s happening.

Its like mmarshall complaining in every thread for YEARS about sedans vs crossovers…and then he buys a crossover. You will all be driving EVs eventually too.
I’m just saying it shouldn’t be one or the other.
The free market should decide what is best not global elitist flying to a conference on their private jets.

Let there be EVs, hybrids, diesels, ICE etc - room for all types of cars. This focus to completely eliminate gas powered passenger cars seems way too targeted in an unfair manner.
Old 05-10-22, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
^ When they ban meat, you'll eat the bugs and enjoy it just fine, lol.
I certainly would not want them to ban meat, but if they did yes I would be just fine. We all would.

I’m just saying it shouldn’t be one or the other.
The free market should decide what is best not global elitist flying to a conference on their private jets.

Let there be EVs, hybrids, diesels, ICE etc - room for all types of cars. This focus to completely eliminate gas powered passenger cars seems way too targeted in an unfair manner.
But it is what it is. It’s going to be what it’s going to be, complaining on EVERY CL thread about EVs or an EV about all of this same stuff achieves nothing.

Quick Reply: What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?