Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 07:25 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts
Default What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?

Will it get cheaper or more expensive? Do you think folks who choose to keep their gasoline cars will be taxed? (Not interested in getting into a political discussion)

Share your thoughts or any links!
Old 05-09-22, 07:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Already taxed. Just not in America. Carbon tax

‘’will it change behaviour, probably not. Car companies will shift to more hybrids.
Old 05-09-22, 07:39 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

There’s an abundance of gas in the ground. Anybody that tells you there isn’t doesn’t know what they’re talking about. The world needs oil to make things that we use in every day life. Our clothes, plastics and synthetics are some of the things that are made from petroleum. If we have no petroleum, we will not be able to make these things that we use in every day life.
Old 05-09-22, 07:52 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
There’s an abundance of gas in the ground. Anybody that tells you there isn’t doesn’t know what they’re talking about. The world needs oil to make things that we use in every day life. Our clothes, plastics and synthetics are some of the things that are made from petroleum. If we have no petroleum, we will not be able to make these things that we use in every day life.
Yeah, in 2008 I read an article that said there's enough oil underground in parts of Montana to last the US 200 years. That was at the rate when we didn't have all these hybrids and when everyone bought giant SUV's that got 11 mpg.
Old 05-09-22, 07:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Gas will be outlawed eventually but in the meantime it will be heavily taxed to help buildout EV infrastructure.

In Cali, gallon is over $7 now. I think it will get to $10 nationwide in next 10yrs.
Porsche is working on synthetic fuel which I think are $100 gallon or something like that.

The good thing is gas will always be available but it will be a lot more expensive.
Old 05-09-22, 07:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
The issue is all the major corporations have pledged to be net zero by 2035-2050. This includes mandates for all their vendors and clients. This war on fossil fuels will only get worse as the current generation of young ppl are completely against using oil.
Old 05-09-22, 08:28 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The issue is all the major corporations have pledged to be net zero by 2035-2050. This includes mandates for all their vendors and clients. This war on fossil fuels will only get worse as the current generation of young ppl are completely against using oil.
So what's the solution? There are three options:

1) continue to get robbed at the pump with escalating prices
2) everyone goes out and gets a $60k EV in a very limited market without proper infrastructure
3) don't drive at all

That's what happens when they want to be aggressive with their green agenda. If they want to cut back or one day eliminate ICE altogether, okay fine. These things take time. We don't have a used market, we don't have many choices for new vehicles, we don't have infrastructure, people in apartments can't charge these cars, there is fire/safety risk, etc.

People should have stuck up to these companies when they gave out their PR messages saying they don't want anything to do with oil by 2030. Why not a slow change? They can introduce their models, build charging networks, etc. but not be so against drilling oil and pricing gas into the stratosphere. I'm sick of paying $70-80 for a tank of gas but I also don't want to be forced to buy a new EV because they want to change the world in one day.
Old 05-09-22, 09:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Its convenient to be against using oil while they are being driven by their parents or uber, lol.
Old 05-09-22, 09:04 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
Its convenient to be against using oil while they are being driven by their parents or uber, lol.
Yeah, they just want to go with what is popular. Not do any logical, long-term thinking on the matter.
Old 05-09-22, 09:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Yeah, they just want to go with what is popular. Not do any logical, long-term thinking on the matter.
Yeah, well, people in charge are "against oil" while being flown in private jets.
Old 05-09-22, 09:33 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, well, people in charge are "against oil" while being flown in private jets.
Could you imagine if Toyota or Ford said they don't support the 2030 timeline for eliminating new ICE production? They wouldn't hear the end of it. They're basically being bullied into all these hasty ideas.
Old 05-09-22, 09:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Could you imagine if Toyota or Ford said they don't support the 2030 timeline for eliminating new ICE production? They wouldn't hear the end of it. They're basically being bullied into all these hasty ideas.
Toyota did say it, we had a thread on here about it.
Old 05-09-22, 09:37 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Logical, long-term thinking on the matter says that EVs and net-zero (if not negative) policies are a very good idea. Short term is another story.

I don't think that banning ICEs outright is the right way - making EVs more and more accessible certainly is. Cities having way better non-driving infrastructure & shared car services would be nice as well, as is the case in some pretty nice to live in corners of the world.

Anyways, other than potentially the charging part (i.e. you live in the city and don't have access to your own outlet), I see no disadvantages of using an EV for commuting, unless the commute in question is near a sane EV's max range (say, 250+ miles @ 60mph)... which is a not-so-sane proposition by itself.
Old 05-09-22, 09:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Logical, long-term thinking on the matter says that EVs and net-zero (if not negative) policies are a very good idea. Short term is another story.

I don't think that banning ICEs outright is the right way - making EVs more and more accessible certainly is. Cities having way better non-driving infrastructure & shared car services would be nice as well, as is the case in some pretty nice to live in corners of the world.

Anyways, other than potentially the charging part (i.e. you live in the city and don't have access to your own outlet), I see no disadvantages of using an EV for commuting, unless the commute in question is near a sane EV's max range (say, 250+ miles @ 60mph)... which is a not-so-sane proposition by itself.
Agree. Banning gas is the wrong approach. I think EVs are just inherently better for everyday driving so let them compete in the market to win share.
Old 05-09-22, 09:41 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
Toyota did say it, we had a thread on here about it.
Well now I wouldn't be surprised if all the 20 year olds want to cancel them, just like they want to cancel anything or anyone that doesn't go with their beliefs.

I don't care if EV's want to take over. I just don't want to be forced to accept it immediately.

Quick Reply: What will happen to the price of gas when EVs take over?