Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 11:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2023 Land Rover Range Rover Sport

PHEV, V8 versions and an EV version is coming in 2024

Following up on the flagship Land Rover Range Rover is its little sibling with a longer name, the 2023 Land Rover Range Rover Sport. Just like the big model, the Sport is fully redesigned from the ground up, and it features versions of the same powertrains.

Design-wise, the Sport follows the path of the full-size Range Rover while maintaining some unique cues. The whole body is smoothed out with minimalist lines and curves. Great effort was taken to keep body panels, windows, trim and door handles as flush as possible to fit the clean design and for improved aerodynamics. The Range Rover Sport actually has a drag coefficient of 0.29. Among some of the unique design features of the Sport are the extra slim grille and headlights, the latter of which are the most slender lights Land Rover has ever produced. The taillights remain horizontally oriented, unlike the vertical pieces on the big Range Rover. They blend into a trim panel that bears the model's name. There's a Dynamic trim for the Range Rover Sport that also gets unique bumpers and copper accents around the body.

The Range Rover Sport's interior is also similar, but different, to the larger model. It features a 13.7-inch instrument screen and a curved 13.1-inch infotainment touchscreen. The touchscreen floats above the dash and the lower climate controls, which are angled more toward the ceiling than in the flagship Range Rover. There's a storage pass-through underneath the climate controls, a unique feature to the Range Rover Sport. The dash itself is simple and spare, and air vents are hidden in an alcove that spans the dashboard.

Digging deeper, and the Range Rover Sport features a variety of engines. The two base engines are turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six units with mild-hybrid assist. The standard one makes 355 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, and the higher-output version makes 395 horsepower and 406 pound-feet. Above that is a plug-in hybrid version. It makes 434 horsepower and 619 pound-feet of torque thanks to the addition of a 105-kW electric motor. With its 31.8-kWh battery, Land Rover estimates the plug-in Sport will be able to go 48 miles on electricity only. Or if you want to go fast, it will get the Sport to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds. Topping the range is one with a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 from BMW, which makes 523 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque. It will take the sport to 60 in 4.3 seconds. All Range Rover Sports get an eight-speed ZF automatic transmission and all-wheel drive. There's also a full-electric model coming in 2024, just like the big Range Rover, though Land Rover is staying quiet on the EV details.

Chassis-wise, the Range Rover Sport is built on the MLA-Flex platform, which Land Rover says gives the Sport 35% more torsional rigidity than the previous generation. All Sport variants come standard with adaptive air suspension. That can be augmented by rear-wheel steering, brake-based torque vectoring and an “electronic active differential." A Stormer Handling Package can be added on the V8-powered First Edition (only available for the first year) which includes all those features, plus the First Edition-exclusive Dynamic Response Pro. That system will actively reduce body roll.

Naturally, all kinds of luxury features are available on the Range Rover Sport, either as standard or as options. Standard features include the aforementioned giant screens, plus built-in Amazon Alexa support and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Others are the automatic emergency braking, parking sensors, lane-keep assist, traffic-sign recognition, surround-view and ground-view cameras, and water wading depth sensors. A new feature for the Range Rover Sport is an off-road cruise control, which allows the driver to set a speed and comfort setting, and simply steer the SUV where they want to go. The SUV sorts out everything else it needs to do to get over obstacles. Among some of the special available options are 22-way adjustable, massaging and climate controlled front seats, 29-speaker and 1,430-watt sound system and a cabin filtration system capable of removing bacteria and viruses from the air.

The Range Rover Sport is available for order now. Pricing starts at $84,350 including destination charge. Base pricing for each engine model is listed below.
  • P360 SE: $84,350
  • P400 SE Dynamic: $91,350
  • P440e Autobiography: $105,550
  • P530 First Edition: $122,850
Source
Old 05-10-22, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Perhaps (?) electric versions will help alleviate some of the noted reliability problems that have been the case with conventional Land Rover products for many years.
Old 05-10-22, 11:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think this looks significantly better than the current-gen. Sign me up.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps (?) electric versions will help alleviate some of the noted reliability problems that have been the case with conventional Land Rover products for many years.
Considering many of the issues with Land Rover products are software related, I doubt it.
Old 05-10-22, 11:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I think this looks significantly better than the current-gen. Sign me up.

Considering many of the issues with Land Rover products are software related, I doubt it.
And electrical and computer related.
Old 05-10-22, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Looks great! Longer wheelbase too, I’ll check one out.
Old 05-10-22, 04:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From working on these the engine is the least of your possible issues....

New sport looks really good
Old 05-10-22, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Watching some videos on this, I like it less in videos…
Old 05-10-22, 06:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

BMW should send their design team to take some classes from Land Rover.
Old 05-11-22, 03:12 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I find this more bland than the previous generation. The minimalist styling works on the full fat Range Rover due to its size, but here I get too many shades of Discovery and Evoque. The Velar is far more attractive.
Old 05-11-22, 08:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I find this more bland than the previous generation. The minimalist styling works on the full fat Range Rover due to its size, but here I get too many shades of Discovery and Evoque. The Velar is far more attractive.
I think this will have the visual heft that the Velar lacks. I found the latter to look like an ordinary crossover in person despite the beautiful photos. The Velar actually may be one of my biggest disappointments when it comes to pictures > real life impressions.
Old 05-12-22, 09:09 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

Personally like this redesign better than the full size Range Rover (not feeling the vertical tail lights on the full size). I can see how some might see more of an "Evoque" style but it seems like that its inevitable to see a similar design language across the lineup as with most automakers. The interior looks awesome.

Old 05-14-22, 08:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the LX600 has better styling on the front end IMO. Not so sure out back
Old 05-14-22, 08:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd have to disagree there. The LX is so over the top.
Old 05-14-22, 10:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'd have to disagree there. The LX is so over the top.
‘No way. LX looks good. Just not the back. Too much like a minivan.

but watching Equestrian on tv. I’ve always admired Land Rover for being their main advertiser.
Old 05-14-22, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘No way. LX looks good. Just not the back. Too much like a minivan.
LX looks good from the front, but not as good as a Range Rover. The grille is way too garish, the Range Rovers are way more subtle and elegant looking.

Quick Reply: 2023 Land Rover Range Rover Sport