Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 BMW 3 Series LCI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-22, 07:26 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Hideous update
- ruined the headlights
- cheap rear plastic diffuser
​​​​​​- no change to Lexus taillights
​​​​​​- ugly iPad screen stuck on top of dash
Old 05-18-22, 07:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
Nearly all the console buttons have been removed, I'll miss some of those easy-to-use controls. I do like the shifter switch pulled from the iX vs the 'club' shifter

Holy crap - they removed the shifter lol
BMW is dead to me now…..I don’t understand why automakers ruin things that work. If you’re making a quick Uturn or parallel parking on busy street, you don’t have time to look down to try to find some small buttons for reverse, drive etc. Truly idiotic!
Old 05-18-22, 08:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
acres of silver plastic... fail.
that aluminum is an option; you can get wood instead.

what does LCI mean?
Life Cycle Impulse...it's BMW speak for refresh.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-18-22 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-18-22, 08:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
BMW is dead to me now…..I don’t understand why automakers ruin things that work. If you’re making a quick Uturn or parallel parking on busy street, you don’t have time to look down to try to find some small buttons for reverse, drive etc. Truly idiotic!
Yeah, as e-shifters go, the BMW joystick is really pretty good. I never need to look at mine; it's intuitive to use by feel.
Old 05-18-22, 08:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I like the revised front end, but not so much the back end. I prefer the old interior.
Old 05-18-22, 08:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

thanks. you're telling me that swath to the right of the ugly screen is all aluminum? won't that get hotter than hades in the sun?
Yes. The current model offers "Aluminum Tetragon" or "Aluminum Mesh Effect". This looks like the Tetragon, though the pic's a bit low-res to be sure. Both can be seen in higher detail in the configurator.

Being a lighter color, I actually don't think it will get as hot as black plastic/leather or wood. The reason things like aluminum shift ***** will burn a hole through your hand is due to thermal mass--they literally have the capacity to "hold" a lot of heat. I expect this aluminum trim is a thin veneer just like the wood options, so even when hot it would not have a lot of "reserve" to keep transferring heat on extended contact.
Old 05-18-22, 09:04 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think you're blowing this WAY out of proportion. There aren't buttons, it's a lever. Push forward for reverse, pull back for drive. You don't even have to push a button like you would on a traditional or e-shifter, and it's impossible to overshoot and wind up in park (since that IS a button). So it actually requires LESS coordination to use quickly.

I don't have to look down to find my power window switches, and those are probably 8x smaller than the gear selector here. Using this thing will be second-nature to owners in well under a week.
Old 05-18-22, 09:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I think you're blowing this WAY out of proportion. There aren't buttons, it's a lever. Push forward for reverse, pull back for drive. You don't even have to push a button like you would on a traditional or e-shifter, and it's impossible to overshoot and wind up in park (since that IS a button). So it actually requires LESS coordination to use quickly.

I don't have to look down to find my power window switches, and those are probably 8x smaller than the gear selector here. Using this thing will be second-nature to owners in well under a week.
I don't think it's a big deal either. Unless ergonomics are terrible, I'll definitely miss using the shifter as a hand/wrist rest, but I wonder how or if newer cars are solving that issue.

The functionality of these levers are fine by me. As stated, up for R, down for D. no biggie and these cars are all automatic anyway with paddles on the wheel, so I'm not stressing to much over this.

Last edited by GFerg; 05-18-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-18-22, 10:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29

Well everyone has their pet peeves and lack of shifter is huge negative to me. I also don’t see how a tiny lever with a P button on the bottom is more user friendly than a normal shifter?!

Its a poor attempt at being techy and trying to copy Tesla.

Just like using a dumb iPad screen which is not integrated into the dash, just reeks of cost cutting.
Old 05-18-22, 11:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

I am surprised I like the idea of the new shifter. The display itself looks great, but it also looks like it was grafted on. I really don't like the little supporting "arm" at the top that attaches to the dashboard.

The front of the M340i looks better to me than the 330i M Sport.

Overall, not sure I'd go for this over a pre-LCI model.
Old 05-18-22, 12:27 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice tacked on screen. If I'm spending 60 grand on a luxury car, that's exactly what I want.

They got rid of two great elements of a BMW: the joystick shifter and the angel eye headlights. Why they did this, I'll never know but it's a shame.

Also why no wood? Again, if I'm spending that kind of money I would want wood trim in my car.

At the very least they didn't ruin the kidney grille. At least for now.
Old 05-18-22, 12:59 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Also why no wood? Again, if I'm spending that kind of money I would want wood trim in my car.
What is this 1997, the luxury scene has moved on from wood long ago.

What I see is a slow shift towards a Tesla like interior here. Less and less buttons.
Old 05-18-22, 01:02 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by jwong77
What is this 1997, the luxury scene has moved on from wood long ago.

What I see is a slow shift towards a Tesla like interior here. Less and less buttons.
I'll ride a bicycle to work before I ever buy a car that has a Tesla like interior.

The wood is classier than some carbon fiber trim that isn't even real.
Old 05-18-22, 01:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

If wood is your thing, you can spec it with wood trim.

Old 05-18-22, 01:18 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Wow that is beautiful. Instantly transforms the whole interior. What's with the shifter? I thought they replaced it with buttons.

Quick Reply: 2023 BMW 3 Series LCI