Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drove an LC500 Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-22, 01:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts
Default Test Drove an LC500 Today

Today I finally got the chance to take an LC500 for a spin. I've long admired them but have never had the chance to drive one. I've been toying with the idea of picking one up, so when the local Toyota dealer had a used 2020 on the lot, I decided it was time to check it out.

This one was Atomic Silver (my favorite!) with the carbon fiber package. It only had 2100 miles on it, and the dealer is asking $91k. I have no idea if that's a good price in this current market, but from looking at others online it seemed fair.

The car was in their show room and my first impression was all about how gorgeous and sleek it was. The salesman pulled it out of the showroom for me, and standing there listening to it fire up and run was an absolute joy.

I did a thorough walk around inspection. Lots of disappointments there, especially for a car with barely 2k miles on it. The front grille was cracked and in need of replacement. Three of the four wheels had curb rash, and there were several scuffs and scratches on the body.

Moving to the interior, the leather had more wear than I would have expected. The carbon fiber sill on the driver's side was very scratched and scuffed. Still, it was amazingly comfortable and, as a current Lexus driver, easy to feel right at home with all of the displays and controls.

At this point, I had already decided this one was not going to be coming home with me. I really don't get why the dealer is not addressing these blemishes, but I would not be satisfied paying that much for a car and then to have to sink a bunch of additional money into it to make it perfect. Regardless, I wasn't going to turn down a test drive in it, so they gave me the key and sent me on my way.

And OMG the sound that V8 makes is absolutely intoxicating. It is my first experience with this engine, and I put my foot into it at every chance I could get just to hear that engine. As expected, acceleration was immediate and strong, but it was the sound that was most rewarding. I took it down a fast, winding road and it did everything that I asked it to do. A brief period of rain had just moved through, so some of the roads were wet and it was super easy to slide the back end out. Shenanigans. Fun, fun shenanigans.

Maybe it's because I'm so used to my GS and my GS is in perfect shape, but I was plenty happy to pull away from there in my GS when my drive was through. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on an LC, but since I love my GS so much, and loved that V8 so much, maybe I should set my eyes on a gently used GS F. So much to think about!

Old 05-19-22, 01:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

That’s a really nice color. What did you think of the 5 L engine? Very similar to your tundra engine
Old 05-19-22, 01:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The engine was absolutely wonderful. Loved it!
Old 05-19-22, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The engine was absolutely wonderful. Loved it!
‘The you gotta go for to. This is the last chance
Old 05-19-22, 01:45 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Maybe it's because I'm so used to my GS and my GS is in perfect shape, but I was plenty happy to pull away from there in my GS when my drive was through. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on an LC, but since I love my GS so much, and loved that V8 so much, maybe I should set my eyes on a gently used GS F. So much to think about!
I'm sure the car is a beast to drive and the exterior design is really nice but this was exactly how I felt when I got to sit inside (coming from GS like you). I guess I was expecting "more" for the dollar difference but I guess it went to the engine and design. Kind of expected because I'm not that enthusiastic. I value the inside and out more.
Old 05-19-22, 01:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I'm sure the car is a beast to drive and the exterior design is really nice but this was exactly how I felt when I got to sit inside (coming from GS like you). I guess I was expecting "more" for the dollar difference but I guess it went to the engine and design. Kind of expected because I'm not that enthusiastic. I value the inside and out more.
I'm in no rush, so I'll just keep a look out. When there is a GS F available local to me, I'll go take it for a spin and then decide. The LC just feels really special to me, but since I haven't driven a GS F, I don't really know how it compares.
Old 05-19-22, 01:58 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I really enjoyed your write up. I love the LC500 and am an Atomic Silver fan, having owned a 2016 IS350 F Sport in that color with red guts. Your GS is beautiful. Best wishes in your pursuit of an LC500 however indirect it may be. I predict the car will find you.
Old 05-19-22, 02:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
My assessment for the entire car was that it almost met my needs. The styling is great but I think what I needed was a hotter performance version. The gearing and overall driving experience didn't match the looks in my opinion. The sound was glorious though!
Old 05-19-22, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

They are fabulous.

It really is shocking how much wear can be inflicted on a car with just 2,000 miles, isn't it?
Old 05-19-22, 02:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by link13
I really enjoyed your write up. I love the LC500 and am an Atomic Silver fan, having owned a 2016 IS350 F Sport in that color with red guts. Your GS is beautiful. Best wishes in your pursuit of an LC500 however indirect it may be. I predict the car will find you.
Thank you! What kind words!

I do love my GS. This is my third 4th gen GS, and I've loved them all. I've had this one for almost 2 years, yet it only has 2400 miles on it. Since it is rarely driven, and we have both the Tundra and the Highlander for family duty, I've toyed with the idea of more of a fun weekend car. I've considered everything from a BRZ/86 on up to the LC. I have no idea where we will land.
Old 05-19-22, 02:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They are fabulous.

It really is shocking how much wear can be inflicted on a car with just 2,000 miles, isn't it?
Seriously! I don't know what people do to their cars, but this poor LC needs a good home. The blemishes were easily fixable, and maybe I'm just being out of touch or unrealistic, but I don't feel like spending over $90k on a car that needs body work. If they lower the price, I'd consider it.

The local Lexus dealership has a used 2018 LC with 42k miles on for $72k and it is in better shape than this one was.
Old 05-19-22, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

I don't blame you! least they could have done was addressed those issues.
Old 05-19-22, 02:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Beautiful car, one of my top favorites. A piece of history will be gone when this car is gone. It's one of the small handful of ICE vehicles I would own
Old 05-19-22, 02:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

I am with you... I'd only be willing to pick up a car with that kind of wear and tear if the price was adjusted accordingly. Yeah, it's low miles... but even with that wear and tear, it's 90+% of MSRP in all likelihood. Sounds like an LC might be the car for you otherwise?
Old 05-19-22, 02:36 PM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to add one of these to the garage, but don't think the wife would approve of having 2 impractical/fun cars lol. If they actually came out with the LC-F with the TT V8, I'd definitely get rid of the GT4 for one.

Quick Reply: Test Drove an LC500 Today