Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The whole "Direct4" badging isn't classy IMO...
Old 06-01-22, 05:49 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The whole "Direct4" badging isn't classy IMO...
I don’t mind it. I am just excited that Lexus is offering a high powered option without a cvt . The 500h hybrid has upwards of 400lb of torque!
Old 06-01-22, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah ditching the CVT opens the hybrids up to me for sure
Old 06-01-22, 05:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Sure it has been. LS, GS, SC, IS, LC, RC...Lexus began headed in the right direction in terms of proper enthusiast platforms and then did a hard left into FWD tranverse-ville. Back when they debuted the 2GS they were downright class leading.
I just hope Lexus don't follow Acura's path to oblivion.
Acura had a great start with the likes of 1985 Legend, Integra and Inspire/Vigor etc - then their styling became bland, and they switched from longitudinal engines behind the front axle to transverse engines in front of the front axle layout.
Old 06-01-22, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I just hope Lexus don't follow Acura's path to oblivion.
Acura had a great start with the likes of 1985 Legend, Integra and Inspire/Vigor etc - then their styling became bland, and they switched from longitudinal engines behind the front axle to transverse engines in front of the front axle layout.
Unfortunately, I think they clearly are following Acura.
Old 06-01-22, 05:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Perfect luxury car for people that hate cars and just want to have comfortable family transportation which is probably 90% of the general public.

Again I wish Lexus can make a real “performance” CUV that is RWD based and uses the powertrain from LS500.
people who want comfy and luxurious do not hate cars.
Old 06-01-22, 05:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

what made you think that, was it their record high sales?
Old 06-01-22, 06:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Acura peaked in 2005 with 210k sales; now Acura plummeted down to just 157k sales last year.
Acura U.S Sales Figures (carsalesbase.com)

Lexus on the other hand, is steady with 302k in 2005, and have held steady with 304k last year - though Lexus actually did hit a peak of 344k in 2015.
Lexus U.S Sales Figures (carsalesbase.com)
Old 06-01-22, 06:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

people who want comfy and luxurious do not hate cars.
I never said they did.
RX is the Camry equivalent of luxury CUV.

Most people that buy them as a form of transportation not because they are passionate about the actual driving experience. This represents most of the public which find driving a chore. They are not taking the long way home in their RX.
Old 06-01-22, 07:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its the products that they are putting out. I'm not denying that they have found success with those products, as Acura also has, but they aren't products that compete with the big luxury names really anymore which is a shame.

Something selling the most doesn't mean its the best. Mediocrity well packaged and priced sells.

Now, with that said, this RX seems like a big improvement and I will drive it with an open mind, but at its core its no BMW X5 or Mercedes GLE, nor will it ever be.
Old 06-01-22, 07:36 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

I just don't see that...the shape of the car is quite different.
Looks pretty similar to me.
Old 06-01-22, 07:51 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Acura peaked in 2005 with 210k sales; now Acura plummeted down to just 157k sales last year.
Acura U.S Sales Figures (carsalesbase.com)

Lexus on the other hand, is steady with 302k in 2005, and have held steady with 304k last year - though Lexus actually did hit a peak of 344k in 2015.
Lexus U.S Sales Figures (carsalesbase.com)
Yeah exactly the point Lexus remains a very strong consistent top tier luxury brand with a much smaller range than Germans. With the move towards electrification I only see them getting stronger. Acura, Genesis, Infiniti etc have much a higher risk of being irrelevant than Lexus IMO
Old 06-01-22, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
Yeah exactly the point Lexus remains a very strong consistent top tier luxury brand with a much smaller range than Germans. With the move towards electrification I only see them getting stronger. Acura, Genesis, Infiniti etc have much a higher risk of being irrelevant than Lexus IMO
Their sales in their upper end cars have all but totally collapsed, I don't see how they can be a "very strong consistent top tier brand" when they don't have a competitive large luxury crossover or midsized luxury crossover, small luxury crossover which is essentially the entire luxury car industry today. Those 3 vehicles define a brand today. Their flagship luxury sedan is completely outlclassed, their moderate luxury coupe is ancient, as is their small luxury sedan. They have no midsized luxury sedan at at all. They have large BOF SUVs but they are not designed for the US market (the new LX) and ancient (the GX).

Lexus is competitive up to about $55,000, then after that they just fall off a cliff except for the LC. Just like Acura.

Like it or not, Lexus is clearly an Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, Lincoln competitor today, not a Mercedes, BMW, Audi competitor. You just have to look at the product to see that. Nobody interested in an X5 or GLE is going to look at this RX. People looking at a Volvo XC60 or an Acura RDX or MDX? Absolutely.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-01-22 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-01-22, 08:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Their sales in their upper end cars have all but totally collapsed, I don't see how they can be a "very strong consistent top tier brand" when they don't have a competitive large luxury crossover or midsized luxury crossover, small luxury crossover which is essentially the entire luxury car industry today. Those 3 vehicles define a brand today. Their flagship luxury sedan is completely outlclassed, their moderate luxury coupe is ancient, as is their small luxury sedan. They have no midsized luxury sedan at at all. They have large BOF SUVs but they are not designed for the US market (the new LX) and ancient (the GX).

Lexus is competitive up to about $55,000, then after that they just fall off a cliff except for the LC. Just like Acura.

Like it or not, Lexus is clearly an Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, Lincoln competitor today, not a Mercedes, BMW, Audi competitor. You just have to look at the product to see that. Nobody interested in an X5 or GLE is going to look at this RX. People looking at a Volvo XC60 or an Acura RDX or MDX? Absolutely.
Yes, Lexus is disappointing, but Akio is just too conservative.
Maybe they're worried about ballooning costs of genuine electrification.
Though the Lexus TX 3-rower is RWD-based, but I personally don't want a vehicle that big.
Wait and see I guess.
Acura shows no signs of coming back.
Old 06-01-22, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Though the Lexus TX 3-rower is RWD-based, but I personally don't want a vehicle that big.
We don't know that to be the case at all. My guess is it will not be.

I would say Cadillac has way more cred as being a more legitimate top tier brand today than Lexus. Genesis even.

Quick Reply: All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness