Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 08:49 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Their sales in their upper end cars have all but totally collapsed, I don't see how they can be a "very strong consistent top tier brand" when they don't have a competitive large luxury crossover or midsized luxury crossover, small luxury crossover which is essentially the entire luxury car industry today. Those 3 vehicles define a brand today. Their flagship luxury sedan is completely outlclassed, their moderate luxury coupe is ancient, as is their small luxury sedan. They have no midsized luxury sedan at at all. They have large BOF SUVs but they are not designed for the US market (the new LX) and ancient (the GX).

Lexus is competitive up to about $55,000, then after that they just fall off a cliff except for the LC. Just like Acura.

Like it or not, Lexus is clearly an Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, Lincoln competitor today, not a Mercedes, BMW, Audi competitor. You just have to look at the product to see that. Nobody interested in an X5 or GLE is going to look at this RX. People looking at a Volvo XC60 or an Acura RDX or MDX? Absolutely.
aren’t Lexus RX and NX competitive midsized and small crossovers ? They are amongst the best selling in their respective segments. I agree with you regarding the large luxury suv segment the new LX is not that competitive.

Don’t think Lexus has aspirations to take Germans head on. They have created thier own niche and it seems to serving them very well much better than other non German brands have managed to do.
Old 06-01-22, 08:53 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Why is Lexus hell bent on the giant snout? It serves zero function. Zip. The entire front end is a massive waste of space it makes no sense.
It looks cooler to a lot of people......big=better and more intimidating or something like that
Old 06-01-22, 09:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
aren’t Lexus RX and NX competitive midsized and small crossovers ? They are amongst the best selling in their respective segments. I agree with you regarding the large luxury suv segment the new LX is not that competitive.
It depends on what you are comparing them to. The RX and NX are not competitive when compared to an X3 or X5 or GLC or GLE no. They are competitive when compared to an RDX or MDX or XC90 or Lincoln Nautilus or Corsair, sure.

Don’t think Lexus has aspirations to take Germans head on. They have created thier own niche and it seems to serving them very well much better than other non German brands have managed to do.
I think thats obvious, they have basically stopped competing with the Germans (i.e. given up). Thats the whole point. They absolutely did compete with the Germans, their whole reason for existing was to compete with the Germans.
Old 06-01-22, 09:21 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what you are comparing them to. The RX and NX are not competitive when compared to an X3 or X5 or GLC or GLE no. They are competitive when compared to an RDX or MDX or XC90 or Lincoln Nautilus or Corsair, sure.

I think thats obvious, they have basically stopped competing with the Germans (i.e. given up). Thats the whole point. They absolutely did compete with the Germans, their whole reason for existing was to compete with the Germans.
I don't completely agree they are just different vehicles with different priorities. Why should competing with Germans be the only yardstick of being a true luxury player.
I guess they probably realized they are better of competing on their own strengths than try to emulate the Germans. Just look at their recent launches with some very interesting hybrids nobody is doing that in the industry today.
Old 06-01-22, 09:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Well its not really about competing with German brands. It’s not an Eurovision Song Contest. It’s really about making a product that is in demand and will have buyers. Lexus has been doing fine with the RX and NX around the world for as long as these models existed.

Most who buy an RX actually don’t cross shop into the German camp. Just like ones who buy X5 wouldn’t consider a RX.

Old 06-01-22, 09:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

I don't completely agree they are just different vehicles with different priorities. Why should competing with Germans be the only yardstick of being a true luxury player.
I guess they probably realized they are better of competing on their own strengths than try to emulate the Germans. Just look at their recent launches with some very interesting hybrids nobody is doing that in the industry today.
Luxury is about a feeling you get owning something, chiefly the feeling of superiority......that's why they need to compete with the Germans. You feel like you are THE best thing on the road when you are driving a German flagship, no other brands do that.
Old 06-01-22, 11:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Luxury is about a feeling you get owning something, chiefly the feeling of superiority......that's why they need to compete with the Germans. You feel like you are THE best thing on the road when you are driving a German flagship, no other brands do that.
I don't know...a certain Italian brand might disagree with you
Old 06-02-22, 12:03 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Disagree, plenty of non-German brands do just that.
Old 06-02-22, 04:41 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Is it sad that I don't even care what the "engine" is even though I quite like this redesign? I haven't even looked it up. Let me guess, no more 6 cyl?
Old 06-02-22, 05:49 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

Whale nose is the only thing I don't like...
Ha, funny you mention, Beluga Whale was my first thought when I saw the front.
Old 06-02-22, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because they are the established benchmark by which luxury is measured. Like it or not, this is how these things work.

Interesting hybrids…whoopie. They can make all the interesting hybrids they want but if they aren’t making well made high end luxury cars, they aren’t really a luxury carmaker. They aren’t really trying to be that anymore and for us consumers who want them to be that, it’s a shame.
Old 06-02-22, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
Disagree, plenty of non-German brands do just that.
Only if one doesn’t know what else is available lol.

They make premium cars, like Acura but not luxury cars, like Mercedes and BMW any longer.
Old 06-02-22, 07:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Their sales in their upper end cars have all but totally collapsed, I don't see how they can be a "very strong consistent top tier brand" when they don't have a competitive large luxury crossover or midsized luxury crossover,y.
The wait and demand for the LX600 is absolutely crazy. That's plenty high end, $100k vehicle even if people don't think it's competitive with an X7 bc it's a Land Cruiser blah blah. LC coupe and convertible are stunning.

Lexus may not be what it once was I do agree with you there, but to lump them in with Acura and Lincoln? That's a little extreme. IMO Lexus is a half a step behind MB, BMW.
Old 06-02-22, 07:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I like everything about the new RX except that Beluga concoction up front.
Old 06-02-22, 07:53 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just don't see that...the shape of the car is quite different.
I think you're confusing shape to graphics. The graphics look new, the shape is very similar, for example, the shape of the 3/4 window looks really similar.

I'm glad they moved to the new architecture, but the restyle seems pretty darn conservative to me.

Quick Reply: All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness