Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 11:05 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not what we're talking about. We're talking about the world of attainable luxury cars, where the Germans dominate.
my comment is a direct response to the absolute statement made below. There is no pre qualifier on attainability, which is all relative anyway.

start Quote

Originally Posted by Striker223
Luxury is about a feeling you get owning something, chiefly the feeling of superiority......that's why they need to compete with the Germans. You feel like you are THE best thing on the road when you are driving a German flagship, no other brands do that.
end quote.
Old 06-02-22, 11:08 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

2GS was a fabulous car, best in class. LS400 of the time lacked all the German gizmos starting to appear but was very highly regarded and praised, best in class probably too overall. Enter LS430 for gizmos.

Also the demand for LX regardless of why, that’s a $100k vehicle people want them is the point. I think they will sell about 50% more than last gen, we’ll see. That tons of people want them but there’s a god awful wait, that adds to brand cachet. Also LC and LC convertible are fantastic and unique, also 6 figures.

I hear you on Navi, and Escalade for that matter, but Escalade is the only Cadillac I want.

I do not care for the powertains in these new RX models but I certainly am eager to read the reviews.
Old 06-02-22, 11:19 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Can we all agree that “luxury” is subjective? Wealthy people pays top dollar for a G63 AMG. Everything is the same, the interior is meh, unless you go AMG or Brabus.

Non keyless entry old school “blank vault” style doors appeals to most buyer with deep pockets.

Some MB dealerships in LA and San Diego are slapping 80-100K mark up on those G63s 🙃
Old 06-02-22, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
my comment is a direct response to the absolute statement made below. There is no pre qualifier on attainability, which is all relative anyway.
Thats not what he meant

Originally Posted by AJT123
2GS was a fabulous car, best in class. LS400 of the time lacked all the German gizmos starting to appear but was very highly regarded and praised, best in class probably too overall. Enter LS430 for gizmos.
Mercedes cars in 1990 had no gizmos. They didnt even have cupholders.

Also the demand for LX regardless of why, that’s a $100k vehicle people want them is the point. I think they will sell about 50% more than last gen, we’ll see. That tons of people want them but there’s a god awful wait, that adds to brand cachet. Also LC and LC convertible are fantastic and unique, also 6 figures.

I hear you on Navi, and Escalade for that matter, but Escalade is the only Cadillac I want.
The point is, Acura and Lincoln have one or two models too that punch above the brand's weight class, but that doesn't mean the brands are anywhere near the Germans. Lexus has way more in common with Acura and Lincoln than they do Mercedes or BMW nowadays.

$100,000 is also rapidly becoming mid market for a BMW or Mercedes...where Lexus they have three models that barely get there and the rest are way below. You can spend more than $100k on a GLE...or an E Class...
Old 06-02-22, 11:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Adding to that, ambient lighting. W222 S Class and now EVERYTHING has ambient lighting. You can go on and on
Originally Posted by TangoRed
Outside of the gigantic list of tech advancements they've had, here's a few:

-BMW influencing cabin design for well over a decade with their iDrive system
-Mercedes introducing the four door coupe design with the CLS (mimicked at all levels even today)
-Audi bringing in the big grille styling element and LED DRLs, a trend that lives on today
-2004 E55 AMG starting the sedan horsepower wars
These are mostly superficial things. design trends sure, but no different than other design trends of the past. Where Lexus always lacked was high end V8 and obviously lack was V12 motors. Lexus always lack styling which was always critiqued as bland and boring. They never were able to charge the price points of the Germans....and still can't (but they did try)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-22 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 11:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
These are mostly superficial things. design trends sure, but no different than other design trends of the past. Where Lexus always lacked was high end V8 and obviously lack was V12 motors. They never were able to charge the price points of the Germans....and still can't (but they did try)
I think you need to define what "impact" means from your perspective because it seems unclear. From my perspective influencing automotive design across multiple vehicle segments, across mainstream and luxury brands, is impact. BMW even created a new model segment when they made the X6.
Old 06-02-22, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

BMW even created a new model segment when they made the X6.
What segment did the create? Its a crossover.... crossover was made popular by Lexus RX.

Toyota's advancements in hybrid tech came 15+ years ago, really its just refinement of the tech thats there now. Other carmakers are actually doing way more with hybrid tech than Toyota is today, 48V hybrid systems in a wide variety of models and you see none of that with Toyota/Lexus.
A 48V hybrid tech is nothing spectacular. a 48V is will always be behind a full hybrid (which your Mercedes brand DOES have). And its false to believe that it has something to do with electronics as the new Mercedes is I6(48v), V8(48v) and V12...Everything to do with emissions.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-22 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 11:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

These are mostly superficial things. design trends sure, but no different than other design trends of the past. Where Lexus always lacked was high end V8 and obviously lack was V12 motors. Lexus always lack styling which was always critiqued as bland and boring. They never were able to charge the price points of the Germans....and still can't (but they did try)
They are just top of the head examples. If you want meatier examples, skid control, advanced lighting systems, adaptive and predictive suspensions, GPS navigation, the list goes on and on.

The point is the Germans are the ones that everybody else emulates. For a time that was Lexus, but no longer.

I think you need to define what "impact" means from your perspective because it seems unclear. From my perspective influencing automotive design across multiple vehicle segments, across mainstream and luxury brands, is impact. BMW even created a new model segment when they made the X6.
Totally agree
Old 06-02-22, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What segment did the create? Its a crossover.... crossover was made popular by Lexus RX.
They created the SUV-Coupe.
Old 06-02-22, 12:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They created the SUV-Coupe.
Big deal.........
Old 06-02-22, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Big deal.........
Its an entire segment of the automotive industry, thats a very big deal. Same as its a big deal that Lexus created the luxury crossover with the RX.

When is the last time Lexus created anything that a competitor emulated? Let alone the entire industry? It was the RX in 1999.
Old 06-02-22, 12:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its an entire segment of the automotive industry, thats a very big deal..
Sorry, disagree. Not a big deal at all

When is the last time Lexus created anything that a competitor emulated? Let alone the entire industry? It was the RX in 1999.
Good way to bring the thread back ON-TOPIC Lexus RX is probably the brands greatest idea. .
Old 06-02-22, 12:14 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

We are getting way off topic lol. The horse has been beaten to death about where Lexus currently lies in the totem pole of luxury brands, and this new RX isn't going to change that.

Lexus as a brand became a victim of its own success with the RX and ES, because these two vehicles effectively put a ceiling over the brand. The ES has cannibalized the GS to death and is now doing the same to the LS, while the RX effectively kills any chance of a RWD crossover from being made since they would all suffer from the same cannibalization effect as what the ES did to the GS.

The question will be whether consumers will still buy ES's and RX's en masse when they reach the pricetag of an equivalent X5/GLE and 5 Series/E-Class. The RX500h specifically is interesting, because it is the first incarnation of the RX that will be priced to compete against mid-trim versions of the X5 and GLE. How well this trim level sells (if they can make enough of them) will determine whether Lexus decides to take their brand more upmarket.

Saying "Lexus is successful because they sell a lot" isn't giving the whole picture- just look at the average transaction prices of each brand. Lexus isn't below just the Germans, they're also below Genesis, Tesla and Volvo.
Old 06-02-22, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good way to bring the thread back ON-TOPIC Lexus RX is probably the brands greatest idea. .
LOL, I try. And that was 23 years ago...hence the problem. They don't lead anymore. I like leaders.
Old 06-02-22, 12:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, I try. And that was 23 years ago...
You know it
​​​​​​​
LOL, I try. And that was 23 years ago...hence the problem. They don't lead anymore. I like leaders.
Was the RX really that great? It was cheap...nicely appointed and it never broke. Same time came Mercedes with their M class. 5 gas engines. 2 diesels engines. HUGE worldwide sponsorship in Jurassic Park 2... some believe the M class came out before the RX. So, no different than today. Mercedes is always one step ahead of Lexus with their options and power trains... (just not hybrid)

Quick Reply: All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness