Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 01:57 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I love the way it looks so far. I can’t wait to see it in person,
Old 09-09-22, 04:07 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Driving reviews are starting to pour out at the usual outlet. Here's Savagegeese's review which basically confirmed everything I suspected about the RX moving further uprmarket:

Also according to Mark, Lexus's presentation explicitly benchmarked the BMW X5 and Acura MDX Type S. Lexus is expecting 43% of sales to be conquest from other brands. Hope you're all ready for an X5 equivalently priced RX.

Old 09-09-22, 07:54 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Also according to Mark, Lexus's presentation explicitly benchmarked the BMW X5 and Acura MDX Type S. Lexus is expecting 43% of sales to be conquest from other brands. Hope you're all ready for an X5 equivalently priced RX.
That's shocking to me. Reading Car and Driver's review made it sound like this RX is just more of the same but improved. It didn't sound sporty enough at all to appeal to MDX Type S and X5 buyers to me, especially with the RX500h not even being as fast as a X5 40i or 45e.
Old 09-09-22, 08:04 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Too much stressing over long term turbo reliability. The Europeans have been cranking out 2.0T engines forever.
Old 09-09-22, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's shocking to me. Reading Car and Driver's review made it sound like this RX is just more of the same but improved. It didn't sound sporty enough at all to appeal to MDX Type S and X5 buyers to me, especially with the RX500h not even being as fast as a X5 40i or 45e.
I don't think they are appealing to the sport part of BMW or MDX. Its the overall package they are referring to

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Too much stressing over long term turbo reliability. The Europeans have been cranking out 2.0T engines forever.
So has Toyota. People just haven't seen turbos in America since the 1980s and early 90s. Toyota has been pumping out turbos for 40+ straight years, sold everywhere BUT the US.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-09-22 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-09-22, 08:37 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Lexus product managers told me during the media launch -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/2...xus-rx-review/ -- that they benchmarked the 500h against the Audi SQ5 and that's a pretty good comparison. I'd say the Audi interior is a touch more premium (although I adore the heated and ventilated F Sport seats). As for performance, the 500h is slower off the line (bc it's MUCH heavier) than the SQ5, but once at speed, both handle really well on twisty mountain roads.
Old 09-09-22, 08:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Lexus product managers told me during the media launch -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/2...xus-rx-review/ -- that they benchmarked the 500h against the Audi SQ5 and that's a pretty good comparison. I'd say the Audi interior is a touch more premium (although I adore the heated and ventilated F Sport seats). As for performance, the 500h is slower off the line (bc it's MUCH heavier) than the SQ5, but once at speed, both handle really well on twisty mountain roads.
Make sense Palmer. My guess is that the Lexus RX500h will be a little cheaper too?
Old 09-09-22, 08:46 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Make sense Palmer. My guess is that the Lexus RX500h will be a little cheaper too?
My personal guess is that Lexus is, as others have noted, going to raise prices versus 2022 (inflation and more tech, etc.) but overall they're going to try to undercut anything they've benchmarked, be it of a luxury or performance. That being said, they were also very keen to show us a base model with the small screen, standard wheels, and faux leather interior so hopefully, it'll still start at a reasonable price for those less interested in bells and whistles.

Also, when we were at the media launch, the same product managers were asking journalists how they would price the 500h so they seem to be debating it internally still, which is why we don't have anything specific yet.
Old 09-09-22, 09:32 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

That's so unusual, especially compared to what Mark said about it benchmarking the MDX and X5. The Q5 is NX-sized, and the RX has more in common with a Q8 than a Q5.

TBH, I thought C&D's review was a lot more dismissive than others'. Even Mark considers this new RX a mile ahead of the current RX, though at the top end it's still no driving rival for any of the RWD competition.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-09-22 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-09-22, 09:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

TBH, I thought C&D's review was a lot more dismissive than others'. .
Did you read any positive reviews about the RX today?

My personal guess is that Lexus is, as others have noted, going to raise prices versus 2022 (inflation and more tech, etc.) but overall they're going to try to undercut anything they've benchmarked, be it of a luxury or performance. That being said, they were also very keen to show us a base model with the small screen, standard wheels, and faux leather interior so hopefully, it'll still start at a reasonable price for those less interested in bells and whistles.

Also, when we were at the media launch, the same product managers were asking journalists how they would price the 500h so they seem to be debating it internally still, which is why we don't have anything specific yet.
For sure price will go up. Maybe base stays the same. I think it will be a HUGE hit. I especially like how the weight was reduced.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-09-22 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-09-22, 10:03 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Did you read any positive reviews about the RX today?
Every review was positive bar C&D's. Of course it's easy to be positive at a short drive in a big press launch without any direct comparison to its immediate rivals.
Old 09-09-22, 10:31 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah not sure how. With smaller engine, less speeds, lighter, similar mpg and... almost a good second slower?
"RX 500h F Sport Performance – another hybrid with a rear e-axle, but this one uses the 2.4L turbo-4 from the 350 and the DIRECT4 e-axle is engineered for performance, with the ability to split torque 50-50 front-to-rear. The RX 500h is ONLY available as an F Sport Performance.
  • 2.4L turbo 4-cylinder + Hybrid
  • 6-speed automatic transmission
  • 367 hp
  • 406 lb.-ft. of torque
  • DIRECT4 rear axle
  • 5.9s 0-60
  • 26 mpg (estimated, combined)
  • 4,750 lbs"
I **** German about their naming but I guess I can shut up now. Wow 500h for 2.4? Good luck to them trying to get X5 owners. I have not yet seen one that even cross shopped or had RX in their mind when shopping X5.
Old 09-09-22, 10:38 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I **** German about their naming but I guess I can shut up now. Wow 500h for 2.4? Good luck to them trying to get X5 owners. I have not yet seen one that even cross shopped or had RX in their mind when shopping X5.
I genuinely don't understand how Lexus is naming their vehicles now... although i suppose it's more about pricing and dynamics than drivetrain power or displacement

That's so unusual, especially compared to what Mark said about it benchmarking the MDX and X5. The Q5 is NX-sized, and the RX has more in common with a Q8 than a Q5.
I think this was more about the SQ5's driving dynamics than the Q5 series as a whole. The SQ5 is rocking similar HP, less torque, and weighs a lot less, but the driving characteristics are similar enough that one would need to drive them back-to-back to crown one a king. I'm working on an article now that talks a little bit more about this and the 500h, but here's my SQ5 review -- https://www.audiworld.com/articles/2...-suv-clothing/ (it's a ton of fun)
Old 09-09-22, 10:56 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

I think this was more about the SQ5's driving dynamics than the Q5 series as a whole. The SQ5 is rocking similar HP, less torque, and weighs a lot less, but the driving characteristics are similar enough that one would need to drive them back-to-back to crown one a king. I'm working on an article now that talks a little bit more about this and the 500h, but here's my SQ5 review -- https://www.audiworld.com/articles/2...-suv-clothing/ (it's a ton of fun)
Very interesting, given the 500h's hybrid setup and FWD with e-axle layout I would have expected it to be benchmarked against a Volvo Recharge. I honestly don't see how a vehicle the size and weight with a hybrid 4-cylinder of the RX shares much in common with the driving dynamics of a 6-cylinder longitudinally mounted and much smaller SQ5.
Old 09-09-22, 11:49 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

On paper, it doesn't, and a true -back-to-back test may change my opinion, but i think Lexus is trying to make these DIRECT4 rear axles make their FWD vehicles feel more like a quattro in terms of torque distribution and handling.

Quick Reply: All-New 2023 Lexus RX Debuts with 500h F Sport Performance Goodness