Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what cars are these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 01:08 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
60s-vintage Sunbeam, but I'm not sure of what model.
Right on! This model is the Tiger, '67 I believe.
Old 12-28-22, 01:11 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Triumph TR6. Proper hairy chest sports car. 😀
You got it and LMAO at the comment!
Old 12-28-22, 01:42 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
This one stumped me. First I thought Lamborghini, then deTomaso. I needed Google images for this one: Maserati Khamsin
I was 16 years old when I got my first auto repair job and the place specialized in restoring cars from the 60s and 70s. Many were Italian exotics/classics and a good variety of Jags as well (beautiful XKEs amazed me, 6s and 12s alike). The Khamsin was the very first car there that I helped restore by sandblasting every part it seemed. I fondly recall the first time I sat in a Countach, a DeLorean, and a 427 Cobra. Anyway, here's another that I was fortunate enough to experience driving and working on, 3 convertibles and 1 coupe to be exact. I posted before, but no one guessed.....

Old 12-28-22, 05:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, the TR7 was designed as a coupe due to proposed US roll over protection legislation. Ultimately that didn’t happen and they eventually produced a convertible TR7.

A TR8 version with a V8 engine and bonnet bulge was also produced for the US market.
The TR8 was the last Triumph model available in the U.S....around 1981 or so. By then, the brand's noted unreliability had made it a pariah among American car-buyers.
Old 12-28-22, 01:18 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The TR8 was the last Triumph model available in the U.S....around 1981 or so. By then, the brand's noted unreliability had made it a pariah among American car-buyers.
The TR8 was the last Triumph. Production had been moved from the troublesome Speke factory and post 1979 models had much improved reliability. Far from being a pariah demand was still strong in the US with dealers pleading with BL to keep building it, producing lists of waiting customers. The decision had been made to kill it though and, other than the short-lived Honda derived Acclaim, no more Triumphs were produced after 1984.
Old 12-28-22, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The TR8 was the last Triumph. Production had been moved from the troublesome Speke factory and post 1979 models had much improved reliability. Far from being a pariah demand was still strong in the US with dealers pleading with BL to keep building it, producing lists of waiting customers. The decision had been made to kill it though and, other than the short-lived Honda derived Acclaim, no more Triumphs were produced after 1984.
I remember when it was dropped here in the U.S. I'll agree that it had a small but loyal band of followers, but what I meant by the term "pariah" was that the brand itself, like some other brands of small open-top British roadsters, had developed a reputation for unreliability, and was shunned by much of the American public.

But, the demise of the small British roadsters in the U.S. was not in vain. It also had a silver lining...which was to show up not immediately, but some 8-9 years later with the Mazda Miata, which, once and for all, solved the reliability problem, while keeping the driving-fun.
Old 12-28-22, 04:18 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

I remember when it was dropped here in the U.S. I'll agree that it had a small but loyal band of followers, but what I meant by the term "pariah" was that the brand itself, like some other brands of small open-top British roadsters, had developed a reputation for unreliability, and was shunned by much of the American public.

But, the demise of the small British roadsters in the U.S. was not in vain. It also had a silver lining...which was to show up not immediately, but some 8-9 years later with the Mazda Miata, which, once and for all, solved the reliability problem, while keeping the driving-fun.
Reliable or not, I still wanted one when I was in high school cuz it looked like a car a DIY(me) can work on, fix up, and keep running no problem.
A big plus for a young man starting out but finding used ones in good condition was hard.
Plus they looked cool!
Old 12-28-22, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Reliable or not, I still wanted one when I was in high school cuz it looked like a car a DIY(me) can work on, fix up, and keep running no problem.
You must have gone to high school after I did. When I was that age, American muscle-cars were all the rage....although one of my colleagues had a small MG-Midget. He let me try it out one day....it took me (a fairly big guy at 6' 2") the better part of ten minutes just to shoehorn myself in, get the seat set, and get into a position where I was able to use the clutch pedal, gearshift, and steering wheel.

Old 12-28-22, 06:58 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 208 Posts

A big plus for a young man starting out but finding used ones in good condition was hard.
Plus they looked cool!
A friend of mine’s older brother had a red TR7 convertible with black and red plaid seats. At the time I didn’t know much about cars but I thought it was the coolest cars ever and it looked so sleek. I know everyone loves the TR6 the best but for me the TR7/8 is the one I loved.
Old 12-28-22, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Old 12-29-22, 03:32 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Dodge Omni Rampage or the Plymouth version, I can't really tell the difference. Early '80's as I had an Omni 2 door at the time.
Old 12-29-22, 05:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jer
Dodge Omni Rampage or the Plymouth version, I can't really tell the difference. Early '80's as I had an Omni 2 door at the time.
Yep, you're right. Either answer is correct.
Old 12-29-22, 06:08 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

You must have gone to high school after I did. When I was that age, American muscle-cars were all the rage....although one of my colleagues had a small MG-Midget. He let me try it out one day....it took me (a fairly big guy at 6' 2") the better part of ten minutes just to shoehorn myself in, get the seat set, and get into a position where I was able to use the clutch pedal, gearshift, and steering wheel.
Oh yeah, we liked fixed up muscle cars too. Basically any kind of chick magnet car will work! haha
MG Midget, while a fun car it was not a chick magnet car so we didn't see many of those. lol

Originally Posted by patgilm
A friend of mine’s older brother had a red TR7 convertible with black and red plaid seats. At the time I didn’t know much about cars but I thought it was the coolest cars ever and it looked so sleek. I know everyone loves the TR6 the best but for me the TR7/8 is the one I loved.
For us poor young guys back then, a fixed up TR7 would work well... -> total chick magnet car especially in Florida!

Originally Posted by jer
Gosh, I forgot about this car, haven't seen one in many years.
Old 12-29-22, 06:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Gosh, I forgot about this car, haven't seen one in many years.
Lucky you!!
Old 12-29-22, 06:41 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Lucky you!!
You're a big fan, just admit it! haha
What's not to love?

> Abundant power
> 1st class reliability
> styling before it's time