EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lexus develops 800V Fast-Charging EV Architecture

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 04:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Lexus develops 800V Fast-Charging EV Architecture

But only for EV's with 100 kWh batteries or larger:

Lexus Finalized 800-Volt Architecture, But Not All EVs Will Get It

Old 05-08-22, 01:16 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Is there a place or website where Kilowatt hours, time to charge, how to figure out what a vehicle would cost to charge, etc., is in layman's terms? I see a lot of discussion of how many miles per kWh etc., time to charge dependent on battery size, capability and so on and so forth, but I find it a bit confusing. Maybe someone who is well versed in this can give examples and can open a new discussion with facts/figures/examples for those of us who are not up on the efficiency of EV's. I surely don't trust someone at a dealership to tell me that a Mach-E is more efficient than a Model Y, etc., the only thing I see on a Monroney sticker is how far a vehicle can go on a charge. Nothing as to what it may cost to charge, how long to charge, etc. The old 'standard' MPG is/was pretty easy to figure out- regular or premium fuel and what one can expect city/hwy/combined. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to figure out the true efficiency of the new PHEV/EV's coming to market.
Old 05-08-22, 05:45 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Is there a place or website where Kilowatt hours, time to charge, how to figure out what a vehicle would cost to charge, etc., is in layman's terms? I see a lot of discussion of how many miles per kWh etc., time to charge dependent on battery size, capability and so on and so forth, but I find it a bit confusing. Maybe someone who is well versed in this can give examples and can open a new discussion with facts/figures/examples for those of us who are not up on the efficiency of EV's. I surely don't trust someone at a dealership to tell me that a Mach-E is more efficient than a Model Y, etc., the only thing I see on a Monroney sticker is how far a vehicle can go on a charge. Nothing as to what it may cost to charge, how long to charge, etc. The old 'standard' MPG is/was pretty easy to figure out- regular or premium fuel and what one can expect city/hwy/combined. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to figure out the true efficiency of the new PHEV/EV's coming to market.
You can still look at fueleconomy.gov to see the MPGe for EVs. But just the same with gas, your mileage may vary. Same goes for stated range.

kilowatt hours is the term used for battery capacity while kilowatts is the term used for charging rate/speed.

Time to charge is pretty well described on each OEM's site, but again, dependent upon what % you're starting at vs ending at.

costs are highly dependent upon what you're going to use to charge. Are you charging at home? here you can see avg cents per kilowatt hour in your state: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/

If you're dependent on DC Fast Charging, that can get pricey, as those costs (if the car you get/have doesn't have some free charging allowance) are typically at least 40 cents per kWh.

If you don't have some monstrous commute or intend to use it as a heavy road trip vehicle, and you can charge with a 240V type outlet at home, I can say that you'll almost never think about charging needs ever again.
Old 05-09-22, 03:14 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the response! Should I go the EV route I would mostly be charging at home.
Old 05-09-22, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Is there a place or website where Kilowatt hours, time to charge, how to figure out what a vehicle would cost to charge, etc., is in layman's terms? I see a lot of discussion of how many miles per kWh etc., time to charge dependent on battery size, capability and so on and so forth, but I find it a bit confusing. Maybe someone who is well versed in this can give examples and can open a new discussion with facts/figures/examples for those of us who are not up on the efficiency of EV's..
‘Unfortunately the United States does not use the metric system, even though congress passed the law to convert and US Armed Forces uses it. So that said. MPG is the worse possible way of measuring something.

Now..

kWh of 1 is 1000 watts: if a microwave is rated is rated at 1000 watts, and one uses the microwave for 1hr, you would have used 1 kWh
Ten 100 watt lightbulbs, burned for one hour is 1 kWh
a 1000 watt floodlight is 1 kWh.

Below, the Polstar is least efficient, the Hyundai, then the Tesla

If an electric car is rated at 25 kWh, then it burns 25,000 watts in one hour. Or 25 kWh

What screws it all up is the US imperial system that converts it to mpg. In America, the kWH are slightly inflated because of the mile division.

If you follow the proper metric system, everything is divisible by 1, 10, 100, 1000 etc….

As per Toyota, they are targeting 25kWh/100km for the compact class of,SUVs.

You can apply kWh when it comes to EV motors. A 160 kWh motor X by 1.34 is 214hp.
You can apply kWh to the battery, the higher the kWh battery, the longer the range will be

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-09-22 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 12:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If an electric car is rated at 25 kWh, then it burns 25,000 watts in one hour. Or 25 kWh
I don't believe this is true.... cars are being rated for efficiency in kWh per 100 miles (in the U.S.) So it's not time bound. It's not saying it'll used up 25,000 watts in an hour.

And MPGe isn't bad. It helps customers relate to something they've known, and all measures are relative. 1 gallon of gas has the equivalent electrical energy of 33.7 kWh.
Old 05-11-22, 12:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't believe this is true.... cars are being rated for efficiency in kWh per 100 miles (in the U.S.) So it's not time bound. It's not saying it'll used up 25,000 watts in an hour.

And MPGe isn't bad. It helps customers relate to something they've known, and all measures are relative. 1 gallon of gas has the equivalent electrical energy of 33.7 kWh.
Really more like 10 or so if you factor the engine thermal limits in.....
Old 05-11-22, 02:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It is correct. if a car is rated at 35 kWh per 100 miles, it would take 35,000WATTS of energy to travel 100 miles. That is what you would need to pump into the battery to drive that far.... You can power 35 100 WATT lightbulbs for one hour, or you can drive a 100 miles.

Why is MPGe is dumb? it is because kWh is metric and MPG is imperial.
Old 05-11-22, 04:36 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is also why we still measure the power of engines in horses. Personally, I'm fine if we use more accurate terms to measure energy efficiency. The public will catch on.
Old 05-11-22, 06:45 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is correct. if a car is rated at 35 kWh per 100 miles, it would take 35,000WATTS of energy to travel 100 miles. That is what you would need to pump into the battery to drive that far.... You can power 35 100 WATT lightbulbs for one hour, or you can drive a 100 miles.

Why is MPGe is dumb? it is because kWh is metric and MPG is imperial.
You said it burns it in an HOUR. Which is the point I'm disagreeing with. It's not 35,000 watts for an HOUR. It's for a distance traveled.
Old 05-11-22, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You said it burns it in an HOUR. Which is the point I'm disagreeing with. It's not 35,000 watts for an HOUR. It's for a distance traveled.
it is. To travel 100 miles, you need to burn 35,000watts of electricity/35 kWh. You just pre-burn it when you charge it.

moving to metric…One litre of gasoline is the equivalent to 8.9 kWh. So a EV burning/using/exerting 35 kWh per 100km is the equivalent of a gas car burning 3.93 litres of gasoline per 100km. A Toyota Mirai is rated at 3.1/3.5 litres per 100km

Do you agree that’s the imperial system makes no sense? kWh per 100 km works better than kWh per 100 mile

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-11-22 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 07:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Just we need a debate on the metric system.
Old 05-11-22, 07:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Just we need a debate on the metric system.
It just makes no sense to divide a metric measure via a imperial measure…then to create an inverse relationship between kWh/100miles vs MPGe. Even the headline 800V is metric
Old 05-11-22, 07:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

MPGe is just to relate the relative efficiency of EVs vs. ICEs. Helps people put things into perspective.
Old 05-11-22, 08:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
MPGe is just to relate the relative efficiency of EVs vs. ICEs. Helps people put things into perspective.
people need to learn kWh/100 mile. So if someone wants to charge their new EV…and they stop at a charging station, and the rate of electricity is 10 cents per kWh…magically they can figure out their cost to charge their car. MPGe just confuses people…because batteries, electricity, etc are all in kWh

Quick Reply: Lexus develops 800V Fast-Charging EV Architecture