Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 12:05 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Already so many great posts, I like to add an alternate view just for contrast if I can.
Been helping out a lot in the older forums for DIY and many of the peeps choose the older cars and DIY repairs themselves to save money.

Example:
My 2004 RX330 uses a timing belt and is an everage DIY job for approx $300(water pump, tiing belt, pulleys, the works!)

However, if my car was just 3 years newer like a 2007 RX350 with timing chain It is no longer in scope of DIY and car has to be put on a lift and the engine cradle dropped to fix a timing chain/guide problem. Probably get junked when high mileage due to very high repair costs vs DIY timing belt job.

Some people from what I hear have done it on jack stands but it takes a lot longer and lots more parts have to be removed and it's a nightmare. lol

Last edited by Margate330; 06-11-22 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 12:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Are you looking to get it for off-roading? I don’t think its great at just sitting in traffic etc.

I will be looking at 4 door Wrangler in one of the top trims - there are millions of options and cool colors for them plus the retain their value very well. I see a ton of the new and old ones so they must have decent reliability, obviously not like 4runner.
Nah, its just growing on me because there are no many trucks like it left. With fat tires, beefy suspension components, simple 2wd drivetrain and proven NA engine, it can probably outlast me.
Old 06-11-22, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Already so many great posts, I like to add an alternate view just for contrast if I can.
Been helping out a lot in the older forums for DIY and many of the peeps choose the older cars and DIY repairs themselves to save money.

Example:
My 2004 RX330 uses a timing belt and is an everage DIY job for approx $300(water pump, tiing belt, pulleys, the works!)

However, if my car was just 3 years newer like a 2007 RX350 with timing chain It is no longer in scope of DIY and car has to be put on a lift and the engine cradle dropped to fix a timing chain/guide problem. Probably get junked when high mileage due to very high repair costs vs DIY timing belt job.

Some people from what I hear have done it on jack stands but it takes a lot longer and lots more parts have to be removed and it's a nightmare. lol
A timing belt job is not a DIY job for 99% of vehicle drivers.

Find an RX350 that has had a timing chain/guide problem, but EVERY RX330 needs a timing belt every 90k miles and it’s going to cost the owner $1,000 each time because extremely few owners would consider doing any such job themselves.
Old 06-11-22, 12:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Find an RX350 that has had a timing chain/guide problem, but EVERY RX330 needs a timing belt every 90k miles and it’s going to cost the owner $1,000 each time because extremely few owners would consider doing any such job themselves.
I've done a timing belt/water pump DIY job on my old LS400. Took me several days and I spent enough money on required tools to pay a professional to do the job. But it was a great learning experience, and nearly 20 years later I am still proud of myself.
Old 06-11-22, 12:35 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

I needed a good laugh today thank you.

Maybe I was a little to optimistic on average DIY ability from what ya'll are saying- looks like I missed by a mile. lol
Also, I don't get much interest in some of my "deep diving" threads into the electronic control systems on our cars and now I know why- but mostly done for documenting the info for the future in case someone needs it.

Explains a lot, TY.
PS- that's all I have on that, was just an idea.

Last edited by Margate330; 06-11-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 12:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I've done a timing belt/water pump DIY job on my old LS400. Took me several days and I spent enough money on required tools to pay a professional to do the job. But it was a great learning experience, and nearly 20 years later I am still proud of myself.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/321789-urgent-help-needed-timing-belt-replacement.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/326011-help-replaced-timing-belt-car-wont-start-backfires-through-intake.html
Old 06-11-22, 12:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You gonna embarrass me in front of everyone like that?

In the end, I figured it out and got it done! A lot of people would give up and tow it to a shop at that point.
Old 06-11-22, 12:52 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always wondered…what Lexus LS430 trim do you have? Sucks that it has a timing belt…I’ve got one on my 4.7 Never liked thet idea that it is a belt and not a chain
Just the base version. I don't mind it having a belt. Even with all the miles I drive, it needs done only once every 3 or so years.

Scotty Kilmer did a review of a customer's 430 not long ago (maybe last year) and he went on to say that he never once saw a belt break on an LS of any year.

The outgoing Sequoia is a superior design. But the town crier’s, they all wished for new power trains and new this and new that. So Toyota phoned it in with the rear end cargo. What Toyota should have done, is cancel the Sequoia. And import various trims of the Toyota Land Cruiser. If you’re not gonna bother making it truly for the American market, Toyota should’ve given us the import version
I agree, they blew it with the Sequoia in many ways... engine, cargo capabilities, etc.

The year is 2022. Never again would I buy a timing belt motor that needs to be changed. Period.
It would really depend on the vehicle. I think Acura still has some models with a belt.

and you get to the point like I am with the old ES300 where it just doesn’t make sense to replace the belt because of the cost vs the car’s value, so you ride it out on an old belt and if it breaks, well there is the end of the car.
I bet if you were to daily that ES, it wouldn't break for a long time. I've heard that on any Lexus that had a belt that is a very rare occurrence for them to break, even with high mileage on them.

HAHAHA well at least he was dedicated enough to want to do it himself.

Originally Posted by Och
You gonna embarrass me in front of everyone like that?

In the end, I figured it out and got it done! A lot of people would give up and tow it to a shop at that point.
Yeah if it were me, I'd probably throw the wrench out of frustration. LOL
Old 06-11-22, 01:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I bet if you were to daily that ES, it wouldn't break for a long time. I've heard that on any Lexus that had a belt that is a very rare occurrence for them to break, even with high mileage on them.
The belt rarely, if ever, breaks on its own, usually a seized pulley causes the belt to breaks. Generally, Toyota OEM pulleys never seize, they can last for 300k miles, and will give plenty of warning (squeaking, etc) before they go, so the original belt doesn't really need to be replaced. A lot of people replace it when their crank/cam seals starts to leak, of when their water pump starts to leak because some idiot mechanic added wrong coolant. And if the shop doing the timing belt job uses any aftermarket parts with pulleys, they WILL fail and very soon, and cause the belt to break too.

HAHAHA well at least he was dedicated enough to want to do it himself.

Yeah if it were me, I'd probably throw the wrench out of frustration. LOL
More stubborn than dedicated. Had to prove a point to my wife and friends who were telling me to "just take it to the shop", lol.
Old 06-11-22, 01:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
They can't, a turbo engine can never beat an NA engine for absolute efficiency but they do vastly expand the 90% efficient range far beyond what most NA engine can hope to get so it becomes far easier to get good returns.
You sure about that? I wasn't even aware the winner of this test was over 300lbs heavier, that is a significant weight disadvantage..

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...s-mileage-test

I personally have found with my V8s that economy is virtually the same regardless if you gun it or not. I don't mean flooring it 24/7, but driving aggressively has never seemed to change the mpg in all V8s I've ever owned.
Old 06-11-22, 01:36 PM
truckerMW
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody! At long last here is the General Car Conversation Thread, please review the guidelines above and enjoy!

What did everybody do to their cars today?
Cleaned some sticky banana candy off passenger seat that a friend managed to lose.
Old 06-11-22, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Just the base version. I don't mind it having a belt. Even with all the miles I drive, it needs done only once every 3 or so years..
​​​​​​

Why just the base? Did you have to special order it back in 2002?

The ones with the screens looked the best inside IMO. Does the base come with adaptive variable suspension?
Old 06-11-22, 02:13 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

​​​​​​

Why just the base? Did you have to special order it back in 2002?

The ones with the screens looked the best inside IMO. Does the base come with adaptive variable suspension?
Lol what? I said base because it doesn't have navigation, just buttons in its place.

I'm sure in 2002 people would have wanted the screen but they didn't think about what it'd be like 20 years later.

I've seen some people put aftermarket screens on ones that didn't have a screen and I didn't like it either. I just prefer the OEM look where everything flows better.
Old 06-11-22, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Lol what? I said base because it doesn't have navigation, just buttons in its place.

I'm sure in 2002 people would have wanted the screen but they didn't think about what it'd be like 20 years later.

I've seen some people put aftermarket screens on ones that didn't have a screen and I didn't like it either. I just prefer the OEM look where everything flows better.
Missed where you said no screen was wanted. Nothing wrong with the standard radio, that is how my 04 4R is, it is nice to drive my suv without the screen from time to time. But the new one we have is great too . Was it was to buy it like that back then? Or did you have to special order….

I think luxury items are best when you get the new technology. Those Lexus screen were sharp at the time.
Old 06-11-22, 02:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I get it 100% now why you and I agree on a lot, I also own a base LS430. Took me over a year to find it, no way did I want that screen and that was in 2012. My buddy has a higher up one and I wish I had the soft close doors and alcantara headline but I know he hates that screen even though he won't admit it to me. Hard pass on that one. I also wouldn't put any aftermarket screens on mine, ever.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation