Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-22, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Check out this video comparing your gen Suburban and the latest gen. You can clearly see the difference in height I’m talking about, and they talk about the same differences. That one has air suspension, and in that OR height that looks very similar in height to how the one I had on steel springs sat. Watch how Andre climbs up into the new one at 17:43.
Good video. There certainly is a big difference in height, even accounting for the air suspension. I also agree that the current interior is an enormous step forward......GM truck interiors back in the 2001 period were like Playskool Plastic toys, and almost insultingly plain. (GM started dressing that problem, and the brakes, in 2007). But, unless I just missed it, the video, strangely, did not cover the also-enormous difference in brakes. GM truck-brakes, back then, even all-disc, were known for excessive effort, short life, mechanical problems, fluid-leaks, you name it....all kinds of problems. Many auto magazines commented on it. I found that out for myself when I was shopping with my former supervisor back then (who had just retired) for a Yukon XL. The brakes felt like they were grossly undersized with no power assist at all....even my (then) strong right leg had problems stopping it. I even made a joke about it....the truck didn't need ABS because you couldn't lock the wheels at all from the high effort required LOL. I recommend against the purchase for what IMO were potential safety reasons (his son-in-law, who was also shopping with us, concurred), but he went ahead and bought it.....even with lousy brakes, it was the price, color, and options he wanted, which was hard to find.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-06-22 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 10:12 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
There you have it. One the other hand I haven't known a family that uses the LX like "the way it's needed to be used." And I wonder what the way it's needed to built for is. I see similar types drivers, mostly female, just like other expensive full size SUVs. I do agree with you on one count though. Some just love the LX. Three families I know, all wives (petite size) drive the LX and they love it. They have more than one gen too. And they use it to take the kids to school and practices and family long trips.
I'm buying another one eventually myself. We'll see how the 300 series does but I'm pretty set on a 200 again, just newer.

But that's not a must to have for me though. If everything is the same/similar, I would take that no problem. Say... I don't mind having an X5M over a 40i. Lol.
BMW I-6 is a great engine, I mean in general all this downsizing. Let's see how this new robot 4 cylinder C63 sounds starting compared to a C63 from a decade ago.

I had some soft core off road fun yesterday. This isn't exactly daredevil off-roading and I was treading very lightly, but it was fun. Didn't want any trouble bc technically I was trespassing, etc. All these crazy off road settings and 95% of the time you don't even have to touch anything to have fun or get anywhere.

Old 10-17-22, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Thought this was funny:

I also was at a breakfast at the Four Seasons in DC, and one of the people I was with has a new Tesla Model S. The valets had no idea how to move it, they had to come get her and have her come up and move it for them. I thought that was really surprising given that the Four Seasons has every manner of luxury and supercar that comes in there. Hard to believe it was their first Tesla....even their first refresh Model S/Plaid
Old 10-17-22, 01:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That is pretty funny.
Old 10-17-22, 02:54 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Thought this was funny:

Works for me, I don't want them parking my car anyway.
Old 10-17-22, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Works for me, I don't want them parking my car anyway.
Same, I only use valets when I have no other choice...
Old 10-18-22, 07:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought this was funny:

This is a sad commentary.

I love The Amazing Race, and almost every season, there is a leg on the race where the participants have to drive themselves somewhere. And many times the cars are MTs, and there's always a few teams that struggle -- especially with figuring out how to put the car in reverse. That happened this season - they had to get out and push the car in neutral instead....
Old 10-18-22, 12:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Same, I only use valets when I have no other choice...
Same, and some places force it.
Old 10-18-22, 12:07 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

You could just ask them to let you park yourself. I do it all the times.
Old 10-18-22, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You could just ask them to let you park yourself. I do it all the times.
Depends on where you are, sometimes its just not feasible, like downtown in DC a lot of restaurants and all have off site private garages and they need to constantly move the car around etc.
Old 10-18-22, 01:05 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Depends on where you are, sometimes its just not feasible, like downtown in DC a lot of restaurants and all have off site private garages and they need to constantly move the car around etc.
Then I find my own parking. I learned the hard way 20 years ago to never give my car to a valet, unless their employer owns the property where the exchange takes place AND where the vehicle will be parked (think valet-only parking garages). No amount of convenience or discount is worth assuming complete liability for what someone I never met does with my car while they have it.
Old 10-18-22, 01:31 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Oh yeah that and the COVID thing. I haven't had anyone park my car for a good 3 or so years.
Old 10-18-22, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Then I find my own parking. I learned the hard way 20 years ago to never give my car to a valet, unless their employer owns the property where the exchange takes place AND where the vehicle will be parked (think valet-only parking garages). No amount of convenience or discount is worth assuming complete liability for what someone I never met does with my car while they have it.
Thats a fine policy in concept, but when you have a car full of people and you're going to lunch or to a meeting or you're meeting clients for dinner you just don't have time to drive around forever and find a place to park, nor do you want to deal with the harassment that comes from others being trapped in your car while you do so. So sometimes, I have no choice but to use a valet. Case in point the story above when I went to the Four Seasons, I was running late for breakfast with the president of my company and I simply had no choice but to pull in and give the car to the valet. Could I have found a spot on the street 5 blocks away and walked? Sure, but I think the car was at least as safe in the hands of the valets at the Four Seasons.

The reality of it is, as long as you're at a high end place they park a lot of nice cars, and they really don't have any interest in anything we drive to where they would want to goof off in it.
Old 10-18-22, 01:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The reality of it is, as long as you're at a high end place they park a lot of nice cars, and they really don't have any interest in anything we drive to where they would want to goof off in it.
Totally agree
Old 10-18-22, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would say I maybe wind up having to valet my car 2 or 3 times a year. I also always tip well when I drop it off, not only when I pick it up.

One thing I noticed with the S Class, is often they will just leave it out front, they never did that with the Lexus lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation