Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 02:38 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Missed where you said no screen was wanted. Nothing wrong with the standard radio, that is how my 04 4R is, it is nice to drive my suv without the screen from time to time. But the new one we have is great too . Was it was to buy it like that back then? Or did you have to special order….

I think luxury items are best when you get the new technology. Those Lexus screen were sharp at the time.
I have no idea... I was 14 in 2002. I'm not sure what the buying experience was like back then.

I agree, tech is always best when new. Problem is, it advances so quickly whereas buttons don't care how old they are. Lol
Old 06-11-22, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I have no idea... I was 14 in 2002. I'm not sure what the buying experience was like back then.

I agree, tech is always best when new. Problem is, it advances so quickly whereas buttons don't care how old they are. Lol
I thought you were the original onwer. Didn’t know (my bad)

Originally Posted by AJT123
I get it 100% now why you and I agree on a lot, I also own a base LS430. Took me over a year to find it, no way did I want that screen and that was in 2012. My buddy has a higher up one and I wish I had the soft close doors and alcantara headline but I know he hates that screen even though he won't admit it to me. Hard pass on that one. I also wouldn't put any aftermarket screens on mine, ever.
Yet you got the screen in your mighty LX570
Old 06-11-22, 02:54 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by AJT123
I get it 100% now why you and I agree on a lot, I also own a base LS430. Took me over a year to find it, no way did I want that screen and that was in 2012. My buddy has a higher up one and I wish I had the soft close doors and alcantara headline but I know he hates that screen even though he won't admit it to me. Hard pass on that one. I also wouldn't put any aftermarket screens on mine, ever.
Yeah, same here. My last two cars I had to travel a considerable distance. In each case, there were nice examples but they had screens.

Too bad with Lexus you couldn't fully customize a car. Instead a lot of things you don't want are thrown into packages.
Old 06-11-22, 02:56 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I thought you were the original onwer. Didn’t know (my bad)

Yet you got the screen in your mighty LX570
To be fair, you couldn't get an LX without a screen. I think they made it standard after 02 or 03 in the US.
Old 06-11-22, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, tech is always best when new. Problem is, it advances so quickly whereas buttons idon't care how old they are. Lol
Old..you mean in age that it doesn’t break? Or in age that it doesn’t look like it’s out of date?
Old 06-11-22, 03:09 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Except I really have no need to get a car now, especially with these prices. If I did, it would pretty much sit and collect dust.
What would you buy if we can just pretend- what you like if all cars are readily available?
Just curious
Old 06-11-22, 03:12 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Old..you mean in age that it doesn’t break? Or in age that it doesn’t look like it’s out of date?
What I mean was, having a 15 year old screen in a car is just awful. At least to me it is. Buttons, you don't have to worry abut having such an old screen in your vehicle because it never existed.

Not sure how likely it is to have a screen that doesn't work but I can't recall ever having a button not work in my cars. I imagine it's a much easier fix than getting the screen to work again.
Old 06-11-22, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I've done a timing belt/water pump DIY job on my old LS400. Took me several days and I spent enough money on required tools to pay a professional to do the job. But it was a great learning experience, and nearly 20 years later I am still proud of myself.
Yeah, not for everybody lol.

and the idea that “I only have to replace it every 3 years” the timing belt on the LS430 is $1,500 at a good shop. That’s $500 a year just for that one maintenance item, and on a car that’s only worth a few thousand dollars. That’s a big deal. “I’ve never seen one break” yeah, until you do and the car is done. And you’re driving a car that could happen to when you don’t do the belt at any time. Big reason why I wouldn’t drive my 03 ES300 on a long trip.
Old 06-11-22, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What I mean was, having a 15 year old screen in a car is just awful. At least to me it is. Buttons, you don't have to worry abut having such an old screen in your vehicle because it never existed.

Not sure how likely it is to have a screen that doesn't work but I can't recall ever having a button not work in my cars. I imagine it's a much easier fix than getting the screen to work again.
Vehicle screens are really reliable. My ES, 19 years old and 220k miles the screen works like new. It’s outdated sure, but the old navigation still works fine, as long as you’re somewhere that hasn’t had roads redone in about 10 years, it can no longer be updated.
Old 06-11-22, 03:19 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah, not for everybody lol.

and the idea that “I only have to replace it every 3 years” the timing belt on the LS430 is $1,500 at a good shop. That’s $500 a year just for that one maintenance item, and on a car that’s only worth a few thousand dollars. That’s a big deal. “I’ve never seen one break” yeah, until you do and the car is done. And you’re driving a car that could happen to when you don’t do the belt at any time. Big reason why I wouldn’t drive my 03 ES300 on a long trip.
Hey, sometimes you can't place a value on what you like. If you like the car so much and you can easily budget for the maintenance, who cares what it's worth?

At least if it did break on a trip, it wouldn't nuke the engine since that's a non-interference engine. Just have to wait for a tow truck.

EDIT: the last paragraph was directed for you, meaning if you took your ES on a trip. Sorry for not clarifying.

Last edited by xjokerz; 06-11-22 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hey, sometimes you can't place a value on what you like. If you like the car so much and you can easily budget for the maintenance, who cares what it's worth?

At least if it did break on a trip, it wouldn't nuke the engine since that's a non-interference engine. Just have to wait for a tow truck.
Your LS430 is an interference engine, it’s not a non interference engine. My ES300 is a semi-interference engine. It might be fine, or it might not.

There’s a reason why manufacturers have ditched belts for chains, they’re just better. Less maintenance.

It’s one of the reasons why the 460 is less expensive to maintain than a 430 despite having more expensive issues that can go wrong. Every 90k miles the 430 WILL cost you $1,500.
Old 06-11-22, 03:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I do like the none screen LS. But to me, it’s too much like a Toyota than it is a luxury car IMO
Old 06-11-22, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I do like the none screen LS. But to me, it’s too much like a Toyota than it is a luxury car IMO
The 430 was obviously designed for the screen, and the non screen has a lot of awkward looking plastic I agree. The 400 looked better with buttons since that’s what it was designed for.

The 460 without the screen (which existed in 2007) look even worse.
Old 06-11-22, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Your LS430 is an interference engine, it’s not a non interference engine. My ES300 is a semi-interference engine.
What do you mean by a "semi" interference engine? When the timing belt or chain breaks, either the fully-open valves hit the piston on its way up or they don't.
Old 06-11-22, 03:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you mean by a "semi" interference engine? When the timing belt or chain breaks, either the fully-open valves hit the piston on its way up or they don't.
Do some research into it, it’s debatable on this engine.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation