Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-22, 02:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What I don't like about adaptive cruise is that it constantly leaves a gap in front of you and it causes people to pass you on the right and fill that gap, which keeps putting you more and more behind. It also doesn't pressure drivers to move right and let you go by, so you'll all of a sudden find yourself going 65 when you're set to 80.
So I usually set the following distance at the 3 or 4 setting, which does leave plenty of space for someone to scoot in front of me. But in traffic, without this feature, I wouldn't be using the CC at all. On a long drive, I definitely notice less fatigue using adaptive CC
Old 11-12-22, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So I usually set the following distance at the 3 or 4 setting, which does leave plenty of space for someone to scoot in front of me. But in traffic, without this feature, I wouldn't be using the CC at all. On a long drive, I definitely notice less fatigue using adaptive CC
I set it to as close as possible and its still an issue. I like it in concert with the lane centering, without that I never really cared for it.
Old 11-12-22, 04:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

That's one nifty thing I wish I had, but one that would work perfectly. I've heard about complaints about the gaps it leaves, etc etc not just on here.
Old 11-12-22, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

What I don't like about adaptive cruise is that it constantly leaves a gap in front of you and it causes people to pass you on the right and fill that gap, which keeps putting you more and more behind. It also doesn't pressure drivers to move right and let you go by, so you'll all of a sudden find yourself going 65 when you're set to 80.

Adaptive or not, cruise-control is just about hopeless in the D.C. area. I rarely use the one in my Encore GX (which does have the adjustable adaptive feature), except occasionally on Sunday morning when traffic is lighter. There is simply too much traffic, too little available road-space for the traffic, and, if it DOES happen to leave a space, some joker will surely pull into it within the next ten seconds LOL.
Old 11-13-22, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Adaptive or not, cruise-control is just about hopeless in the D.C. area. I rarely use the one in my Encore GX (which does have the adjustable adaptive feature), except occasionally on Sunday morning when traffic is lighter. There is simply too much traffic, too little available road-space for the traffic, and, if it DOES happen to leave a space, some joker will surely pull into it within the next ten seconds LOL.
So traffic is where I really like it. In my car if I'm in bumper to bumper traffic I literally can read email, it drives itself.
Old 11-13-22, 08:19 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing I found interesting with Mercedes is that my AMG vehicles are much more aggressive about keeping the gap in front of me small than the regular Mercedes I have driven. This ends up being a less smooth experience for passengers and quite frankly I’ve been startled about how quickly they will accelerate if someone changes out of my lane in front of me. I don’t drive them in comfort mode though which may contributing to this.
Old 11-13-22, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
One thing I found interesting with Mercedes is that my AMG vehicles are much more aggressive about keeping the gap in front of me small than the regular Mercedes I have driven. This ends up being a less smooth experience for passengers and quite frankly I’ve been startled about how quickly they will accelerate if someone changes out of my lane in front of me. I don’t drive them in comfort mode though which may contributing to this.
There is also a difference with a regular Mercedes in Sport mode. I much prefer how the distronic acts in sport mode. Try driving them in comfort mode.
Old 11-13-22, 08:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

So traffic is where I really like it. In my car if I'm in bumper to bumper traffic I literally can read email, it drives itself.

I would rather have that work flawlessly in that situation than interstate driving. That's really cool.
Old 11-13-22, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
I would rather have that work flawlessly in that situation than interstate driving. That's really cool.
You have systems like Supercruise that will drive the car without input from the driver on a highway too. Distronic will largely drive the car but since it doesn't use GPS mapping like something like SuperCruise does you still have to hold onto the wheel.
Old 11-13-22, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

In my car if I'm in bumper to bumper traffic I literally can read email, it drives itself.
.....Until some joker pulls right into the gap in front of you, and then finds some reason to jam on his or her brakes, and your car, right behind, can't stop in time, even with ABS. In most instances, police hold a driver who rear-ends someone in front of them at fault, even in circumstances like that. That's why the guy who rear-ended your previous Lexus LS got charged instead of you.
Old 11-13-22, 12:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You have systems like Supercruise that will drive the car without input from the driver on a highway too. Distronic will largely drive the car but since it doesn't use GPS mapping like something like SuperCruise does you still have to hold onto the wheel.
Yep. I don’t think SC makes you hold onto the wheel but it tracks your eyes even with sunglasses on. All of that is cool, definitely new tech that is awesome.

Speaking of that, the Lexrolla rental I have has auto headlights, auto high beams, auto hold (electric parking brake), automatic climate control, plus all the LKA and other new stuff. For a cheap car it’s loaded with new tech.
Old 11-13-22, 12:59 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

...some joker will surely pull into it within the next ten seconds LOL.
Ten seconds is an eternity.
Old 11-13-22, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

.....Until some joker pulls right into the gap in front of you, and then finds some reason to jam on his or her brakes, and your car, right behind, can't stop in time, even with ABS. In most instances, police hold a driver who rear-ends someone in front of them at fault, even in circumstances like that. That's why the guy who rear-ended your previous Lexus LS got charged instead of you.
I obviously am already aware of all of that because I’m an intelligent adult.

Of course you still pay attention. At low speeds like that it doesn’t keep a large gap, it maintains the same gap I would. The car will react quicker and slam on the brakes than I would.
Old 11-13-22, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m at the car wash getting the Pacifica mini-detailed (what a disaster it always is) and there’s a new QX60 in front of me, it’s really sharp. I will have to give one of those a serious look

Old 11-13-22, 01:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah. New Infiniti is quite nice

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation