Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-22, 10:56 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Google maps here
Old 11-21-22, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
On vacation in the mountains, just drove my BIL's Lincoln Nautilus (sp?). I haven't been in a brand new car in forever let alone driven an expensive one with 5,000 miles on it.

I liked it, rather a lot. The digital gauges looked great and all of the screens and graphics did too. Switches were high quality, not quite Lexus but not far off. It would take me forever to get used to shifter buttons on the console. It wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. On the flip side it has a 2.0t that had plenty of pickup and I could barely catch any turbo lag, that was a nice surprise. Carmakers have engineered the vibrations of 4 bangers out but they'll never be able to do anything about the awful sounds. Loaded down I think it would lose some of its zip quickly but it's perfectly enough for average Joe Consumer. There's a 2.7 V6 Ecoboost you can get which I'm sure is a monster in any case. We all know I'm a V8 freak but V8s don't really go in crossovers unless they're special performance versions.

My BIL hates the start stop and says he wouldn't have bought it bc it's such a PITA and he hates turning it off each time. The funny thing is, I couldn't get it to engage (and it was definitely ON)!!! I had it for at least 30 minutes and it wouldn't do it.

Really nice crossover, though. Loved all the new tech. But that engine.....ehhhh. His mpg average was 18 something, that's really nothing to write home about. This is a crappy car to car comparison but the Enclave V6 in my family is buttery, way better, and only gets about 1mpg less.
He can install a module that will defeat the start/stop permanently.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
How is everyone's experience? I used it over the weekend twice and doubled the disappointment.
Exp 1: It asked me to take this freeway A to switch to B. Knowing the area, I decided to use the service road to get coffee and get to B from there. After coffee, somehow it recalculated and kept asking me to U turn to get back on A. I ignored and got on the B from the coffee stop. Once on, it kept asking me to exit to make U turn. After about 10 miles or so, I got to another freeway, it still asked me to exit to make U turn. After about 30 miles it gave up. Seemed like it wanted me to get back on A.
Exp 2: On the way home, it asked me to take a different freeway to get on the big main freeway home. It was a different freeway that it took me last few times. It turned out it routed me to two one up one down winding freeways before getting to the big freeway. It was dark and rainy. It wasn't to bad for me but my wife, while being quiet, I knew she was on edge for a good 20 minutes or so. Should have gone with Google Map but it wouldn't feed to HUD.
What map provider were you using. I use Google Maps and sometimes Waze and never have any issues. Apple Maps is not great.
Old 11-21-22, 11:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I found a 2002 Silver Arrow SL500 with top hydraulics being replaced before it goes on sale. Tomorrow once they offer it, it could be the one I finally buy.

I haven't talked money yet but I'm gonna offer full price *if* they skip the dealer BS fees, etc. Give the amount and tax and that's what I'll bring the cashier's check for.
Old 11-21-22, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Cool! Fingers crossed for you!
Old 11-21-22, 11:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Cool! Fingers crossed for you!
Thanks! I'm sort of looking at it as an impulse buy ehh, but then I'm reminded it's really not because I have been looking to buy one of these for YEARS now.

If it drives well, sold.
Old 11-21-22, 11:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just buy it lol
Old 11-21-22, 11:29 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Gorgeous car if you do get it
Old 11-21-22, 02:10 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

What map provider were you using. I use Google Maps and sometimes Waze and never have any issues. Apple Maps is not great.
Originally Posted by Doctj
Google maps here
Originally Posted by tex2670
Are you using Apple Maps? I typically use Waze or Google Maps.
I was on Apple Map. Not sure why I decided to use it this past weekend. Usually I just use OEM. Google Map doesn't get fed to HUD so I don't use it. I tried Waze a few times but it was always stuck at last destination. I would have to kill and restart the app. I haven't really used it only had it on the screen because my toddler could see my speed. Haven't tried it all the way but read it doesn't get fed to HUD either.
Originally Posted by AJT123
On vacation in the mountains, just drove my BIL's Lincoln Nautilus (sp?). I haven't been in a brand new car in forever let alone driven an expensive one with 5,000 miles on it.

I liked it, rather a lot. The digital gauges looked great and all of the screens and graphics did too. Switches were high quality, not quite Lexus but not far off. It would take me forever to get used to shifter buttons on the console. It wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. On the flip side it has a 2.0t that had plenty of pickup and I could barely catch any turbo lag, that was a nice surprise. Carmakers have engineered the vibrations of 4 bangers out but they'll never be able to do anything about the awful sounds. Loaded down I think it would lose some of its zip quickly but it's perfectly enough for average Joe Consumer. There's a 2.7 V6 Ecoboost you can get which I'm sure is a monster in any case. We all know I'm a V8 freak but V8s don't really go in crossovers unless they're special performance versions.

My BIL hates the start stop and says he wouldn't have bought it bc it's such a PITA and he hates turning it off each time. The funny thing is, I couldn't get it to engage (and it was definitely ON)!!! I had it for at least 30 minutes and it wouldn't do it.

Really nice crossover, though. Loved all the new tech. But that engine.....ehhhh. His mpg average was 18 something, that's really nothing to write home about. This is a crappy car to car comparison but the Enclave V6 in my family is buttery, way better, and only gets about 1mpg less.
Were you on Sport mode? Not sure about this car but on BMWs when you're on Sport Mode it will disable that ***. I hate it so much that I had to get Bimmercode to turn it off.
Old 11-21-22, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats interesting that Google Maps doesn't feed to the HUD. I would keep checking that, thats one of those things that Apple will fix and all of a sudden it will just start working.

You can turn the speed on the map off in Waze lol, I have kids too!
Old 11-21-22, 03:26 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

No, I had Waze on for him because he wanted to see my speed. Lol
Old 11-21-22, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thats interesting that Google Maps doesn't feed to the HUD. I would keep checking that, thats one of those things that Apple will fix and all of a sudden it will just start working.

You can turn the speed on the map off in Waze lol, I have kids too!
Apple Maps doesn’t move to HUDs on some Toyotas. The maps don’t move to my gauge cluster whereas my embedded maps do.
Old 11-21-22, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
No, I had Waze on for him because he wanted to see my speed. Lol
Haha, got it!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Apple Maps doesn’t move to HUDs on some Toyotas. The maps don’t move to my gauge cluster whereas my embedded maps do.
I believe the only vehicle it moves to the HUD on is BMW...they have the best Carplay integration I have experienced.
Old 11-22-22, 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Loading up for Thanksgiving. Can’t deny the space a minivan has. That’s all our stuff for 2 adults, two 7 year olds and a golden retriever for 4 days, all fits in the well behind the third row seat. Would be impossible in anything other than a Tahoe or Suburban.

Old 11-22-22, 06:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha, got it!

I believe the only vehicle it moves to the HUD on is BMW...they have the best Carplay integration I have experienced.
Apple Maps does feed turn by turn to the Toyota cluster and HUD in the newest Tundra we had. BMW also does this, but again, only with Apple Maps.
Old 11-22-22, 07:06 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Loading up for Thanksgiving. Can’t deny the space a minivan has. That’s all our stuff for 2 adults, two 7 year olds and a golden retriever for 4 days, all fits in the well behind the third row seat. Would be impossible in anything other than a Tahoe or Suburban.

I like the double stack thing you got going on

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation