Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-22, 12:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Oh boy the hook is set and letting you pull out some line. haha Just Kidding!

Was it a roll over easy slam dunk sale for them or did you haggle??
I'm guessing they saw you drooling and said yep, we got a buyer. lol

I try to put my emotions in my pocket when I buy cars but they see thru it like I'm an open book.
Oh yeah, I check my emotions at the door. The guy knows I want it but I haven't said "sold" yet. If it's in excellent condition I'll pay full price, I'm planning to pay full price. The price and miles are crazy good.
Old 12-02-22, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

One of the smartest features I have ever seen on a multipurpose vehicle is on my Pacifica, the roof rack crossbars hidden in the roof rails. They unscrew and can be placed in one of two positions. Really smart, headed to get our Christmas tree:

Old 12-02-22, 01:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
One of the smartest features I have ever seen on a multipurpose vehicle is on my Pacifica, the roof rack crossbars hidden in the roof rails. They unscrew and can be placed in one of two positions. Really smart, headed to get our Christmas tree:

I thought Subaru had a similar feature on the Outback, but with rails that were definitely not as low profile as these.
Old 12-02-22, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I thought Subaru had a similar feature on the Outback, but with rails that were definitely not as low profile as these.

Yes, as I recall, my 2006 Outback had an adjustable crossbar, but I rarely used it.
Old 12-02-22, 02:15 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, as I recall, my 2006 Outback had an adjustable crossbar, but I rarely used it.
Lots of cars have adjustable crossbars. Our 2RX did also. That's not what's being discussed here.

What's unique about these is that the crossbars don't exist--or rather are not apparent--when they are not in use. They are mounted longitudinally, hidden in the rails on the edge of the roof. When you want to use them, you remove them, fold out the legs, turn them so they run across the roof rather than down its length, and reattach them. Voila, you now have crossbars where you did not 5 minutes ago.
Old 12-02-22, 10:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
What's unique about these is that the crossbars don't exist--or rather are not apparent--when they are not in use. They are mounted longitudinally, hidden in the rails on the edge of the roof. When you want to use them, you remove them, fold out the legs, turn them so they run across the roof rather than down its length, and reattach them. Voila, you now have crossbars where you did not 5 minutes ago.
Exactly, you would never know they were there when they aren't in use, and they're always with you so if you need to use the rack while you're out of town, you always have your crossbars. I'm surprised my Jeeps didn't have this seeing that they were also Chryslers. I remember how annoying it was to strap a christmas tree on top of it with nowhere on the roof to tie it down to

Old 12-02-22, 10:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I agree 100% on this. My Durango SRT had every option and luckily had the cargo package which most don’t and had the hidden roof rails. I only used them to haul Christmas trees each year but I thought it was the best design compared to all the other SUVs I had that weren’t hidden.
Old 12-02-22, 10:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Exactly, you would never know they were there when they aren't in use, and they're always with you so if you need to use the rack while you're out of town, you always have your crossbars. I'm surprised my Jeeps didn't have this seeing that they were also Chryslers. I remember how annoying it was to strap a christmas tree on top of it with nowhere on the roof to tie it down to

SW Griswold. I love the family outing
Old 12-02-22, 10:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree 100% on this. My Durango SRT had every option and luckily had the cargo package which most don’t and had the hidden roof rails. I only used them to haul Christmas trees each year but I thought it was the best design compared to all the other SUVs I had that weren’t hidden.
Even more surprising the Durango gets them and Grand Cherokees didn't!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
SW Griswold. I love the family outing
Oh that movie could be made starring my family lol. We even went out into the woods one year when I was a kid to cut one down and didnt take a saw. We had a Ford Aerostar, and I remember when I was like 11 or 12 it would stall if you let it idle, and it stalled once going up there and needed to be jumped, so we were afraid to let it stall out in the woods. We took turns, my Dad and I would go out and look for trees and my Mom would stay behind and keep her foot on the gas and the brake, and then I (at 11 lol) would sit in the drivers seat and do the same thing while he took her to make sure she liked the tree lol. We was po...we had to get on the highway to get to our country club LOL
Old 12-03-22, 06:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Got the LX back, flawless work. I've missed it and it's been a pleasure just driving the LS430 around, but yes I did miss the truck. The seating position and just the burliness among other things.

However my power door is now beeping "beep beep beep" when it opens and closes. It's working and sealing up perfectly but obviously there's a malfunction which the beep is indicating. They'll fix it Tuesday. Anyone ever heard of this with Lexus rear doors?
Old 12-03-22, 07:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It didn’t make any sound before? Every vehicle I have had with a power hatch beeps when it’s opening.
Old 12-03-22, 07:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It didn’t make any sound before? Every vehicle I have had with a power hatch beeps when it’s opening.
The "beeeeeep" when you press open and close, those are the the normal sounds. When it motion it's quiet, at least in my LX.

This is a beep beep beep the entire time the door is in motion, going in or out. My guess is there's a sensor they didn't connect. But it works perfectly.

They got the panel gaps and paint perfect.
Old 12-04-22, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Weird...thats good at least!

Whatever happened with the SL500?
Old 12-04-22, 08:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Got the LX back, flawless work. I've missed it and it's been a pleasure just driving the LS430 around, but yes I did miss the truck. The seating position and just the burliness among other things.

However my power door is now beeping "beep beep beep" when it opens and closes. It's working and sealing up perfectly but obviously there's a malfunction which the beep is indicating. They'll fix it Tuesday. Anyone ever heard of this with Lexus rear doors?
‘Happy to hear you got your LX back.
Old 12-04-22, 12:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Weird...thats good at least!

Whatever happened with the SL500?
He's supposed to call me tomorrow.... They've been waiting on a part.

Still cautiously optimistic. I did call and ask about it again and asked if they took American Express, I figure that will pique the guy's interest. Because I do want to just use that and for this to be a wham bam thank you ma'am thing. I'm taking my friend who sold my truck to me and between the both of us we will be able to tell if it's worth buying or not. But will still probably go to an Indy for a quick inspection. He flips cars for a living and we both eat and breathe and sleep old Mercedes. I've also made a new friend via FB re: LS/LX who owns a German auto shop and he's giving me germane info also to look out for. If it drives well, sold pretty much. The price is too hot to pass up (they don't know what they have). It's my garage car so IDC if it needs a repair and just sits every now and then. Just looking at it makes my heart flutter as much as driving it.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘Happy to hear you got your LX back.
Thanks! It's good to have it back, that beeping is annoying but they'll fix it this week. The throttle response is so drastically different than my LS it took getting used to again.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation