Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 08:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
AJ, you had an IS 350 right? I thought I used to see it in your sig.
Yes, sold it to a Ford dealership. They came and got it. It was a great car, just not for us, hence the LX. Too small. But it was a rocket.

I had to replace fuel pump that the dealer caused fixing a recall (but I can't prove it) but otherwise it was Lexus solid like the rest I've owned. They sweat the details in that car too, I've never been in a car that had lit up vent mover detent things at night. Beautiful gauge cluster also.
Old 06-12-22, 08:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm talking about people who pick up LS430s simply because they are a car in their price range and not because they love LS430s regardless of their condition. Lots of people who own them just happen across one on a used car lot and compare it against some other used car and buy it.

Do you think these people bought this LS430 because they have passion for the Lexus LS430? LOL

LOL ok point taken and that's a pretty funny picture.....haha. I swear that one lady is even flipping the camera off.
Old 06-12-22, 09:03 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Ya'll bring up some dang good points.
Replacing all the motor mounts on my old 2004 RX330 will cost almost a cool grand $1k if buying retail from local lexus dealer and you DIY the install yourself.

I shopped around for best price and went oem to keep the car cherry but you can get a 5 piece kit on fleabay for $100 or so and guesing that's what people are running when the car gets to beater level status cuz it's doesn't make economic sense not to.

Last edited by Margate330; 06-12-22 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-12-22, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Yeah, ain't a lot of people buying $1,000 worth of motor mounts before labor for a 2004 RX! I would have a hard time doing that, there's likely a middle ground option that bridges the spectrum...
Old 06-12-22, 09:26 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

In a perfect world like the old days I like to have one nice car and then an older car to use as a beater, that's my preference.
Sold the Mitsubishi Eclipse Convertibe a few years ago, since wife don't drive anymore and don't need two cars for just me but considering getting something newer- not old but not new.

Meet somewhere in the middle but must be an SUV for utility and that's why the Eclipse had to go.

And maybe a motorcycle too just for fun for very local trips...

Last edited by Margate330; 06-12-22 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-12-22, 09:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ya'll bring up some dang good points.
Replacing all the motor mounts on my old 2004 RX330 will cost almost a cool grand $1k if buying retail from local lexus dealer and you DIY the install yourself.

I shopped around for best price and went oem to keep the car cherry but you can get a 5 piece kit on fleabay for $100 or so and guesing that's what people are running when the car gets to beater level status cuz it's doesn't make economic sense not to.
Well you generally get what you pay for. These ebay parts last for 1 year vs 10 for oem, and then repeat labor and potentially towing costs end up costing more. Not to mention potential damage to other parts caused by bad aftermarket parts.
Old 06-12-22, 09:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

In a perfect world like the old days I like to have one nice car and then an older car to use as a beater, that's my preference.
Sold the Mitsubishi Eclipse Convertibe a few years ago, since wife don't drive anymore and don't need two cars for just me but considering getting something newer- not old but not new.
I've never understood having a "beater". I spend a lot of money for my nice car, and I want to drive it vs driving a beater and leaving it in the garage.

Originally Posted by Och
Well you generally get what you pay for. These ebay parts last for 1 year vs 10 for oem, and then repeat labor and potentially towing costs end up costing more. Not to mention potential damage to other parts caused by bad aftermarket parts.
Not all aftermarket parts are bad. Many of them are made by the same manufacturer as OEM, they just don't have the OEM label on them. Thats why I said there is likely some happy medium where its a quality aftermarket part and maybe you can get the mounts for $300.

I wouldn't use garbage parts on any car because you're just asking for trouble,
Old 06-12-22, 10:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I've never understood having a "beater". I spend a lot of money for my nice car, and I want to drive it vs driving a beater and leaving it in the garage.
Well, the idea was to have a nice car and make the payments and have one older car aka "beater" that's paid for since two drivers in the household.
But guess who always got to drive the beater! haha
Married life does have its comprimises sometimes...
Old 06-12-22, 11:00 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I never understood a beater car either, but I did lease a cheap "commuter" car, a 2013 Mazda 3. Within a year I came to realize that a commuter car is the one that gets driven the most, and life is too short to drive a crappy car, so I gave it to my employee for the remainder of the lease, and leased a m235i.

Not all aftermarket parts are bad. Many of them are made by the same manufacturer as OEM, they just don't have the OEM label on them. Thats why I said there is likely some happy medium where its a quality aftermarket part and maybe you can get the mounts for $300.

I wouldn't use garbage parts on any car because you're just asking for trouble,
OEM parts are made by certain vendors, for BMW a lot of parts are not even solt with BMW labels, but rather OEM vendor labels. The cost difference with these usually comes down the markup BMW dealer charges vs markup of online vendors.

Cheap aftermarket parts are usually absolute garbage, and unsuspecting victims who buy them hoping to save some $ often go down the rabbit hole that ends up costing them far more than OEM replacement would have.
Old 06-12-22, 11:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, the idea was to have a nice car and make the payments and have one older car aka "beater" that's paid for since two drivers in the household.
But guess who always got to drive the beater! haha
Married life does have its comprimises sometimes...
With that logic it comes down to who gets the short end of the stick, and I would never let my wife drive a "beater" car for safety reasons, and I certainly don't want to drive a beater either, so no beaters for us.
Old 06-12-22, 11:04 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

And maybe a motorcycle too just for fun for very local trips...

What type of a motorcycle are you looking for?
Old 06-12-22, 11:17 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
With that logic it comes down to who gets the short end of the stick, and I would never let my wife drive a "beater" car for safety reasons, and I certainly don't want to drive a beater either, so no beaters for us.
Yeah ya got a point, tho to what I mean as beater is more like a car I don't mind driving and has miles but not necessarily the "general Lee" on Dukes of Hazard "held together by wire and tape" as Bo or Luke Duke says- can't remember which one said it. lol

Originally Posted by Och

What type of a motorcycle are you looking for?
Restored a 1987 Harley Electroglide a few years ago and put a lot of $$$ in it to make it legit and took an absolute bath on it when I sold it.
I bought it to restore a classic and for something for me and wife to cruise but reality hit me that I am longer a young athlete able to defensively drive a bike that weighs a ton it felt like.
Also didn't help that I was having nightmares that a crazy driver hit us on the bike coming at me from my blindside on my bad eye and couldn't see it coming- took it as an omen.

Not worried about driving a motorcycle and have my motorcycle endorsement but defensive driving is something Im concerned about.

I will get something much lighter and more maneuravable.
Also, I like the idea of getting a bike cuz I'm not buying any cars until market improves but at least I have a backup plan if my daily driver fails me and plus I'd like to take the Misses on cruise around neighborhood and quiet roads.
Old 06-12-22, 11:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yeah ya got a point, tho to what I mean as beater is more like a car I don't mind driving and has miles but not necessarily the "general Lee" on Dukes of Hazard "held together by wire and tape" as Bo or Luke Duke says- can't remember which one said it. lol

Restored a 1987 Harley Electroglide a few years ago and put a lot of $$$ in it to make it legit and took an absolute bath on it when I sold it.
I bought it to restore a classic and for something for me and wife to cruise but reality hit me that I am longer a young athlete able to defensively drive a bike that weighs a ton it felt like.
Also didn't help that I was having nightmares that a crazy driver hit us on the bike coming at me from my blindside on my bad eye and couldn't see it coming- took it as an omen.

Not worried about driving a motorcycle and have my motorcycle endorsement but defensive driving is something Im concerned about.

I will get something much lighter and more maneuravable.
Also, I like the idea of getting a bike cuz I'm not buying any cars until market improves but at least I have a backup plan if my daily driver fails me and plus I'd like to take the Misses on cruise around neighborhood and quiet roads.
That the issue with these Harley tourer bikes, they are awesome for a road trip, but they weight close to 1000lbs, and riding two up you're talking 1300-1400lbs depending on the rider size. Its fine on an open highway, but any sort of traffic/city driving and it's a torture. I've got a Star 950, which is only 650lbs, and I equipped it with touring cargo and seats - not as much power as big Harleys, but just as comfortable and practical.
Old 06-12-22, 02:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I never understood a beater car either, but I
What's so hard to understand? And I don't mean that rudely at all. I refuse to get rid of the GMC, I'm not throwing mulch in the back or doing favors hauling stuff for anyone with my LX. (People have already asked, uh sorry no) When we get the boat I'll use that to tow the empty trailer to its resting place, bc they're gonna meet me in the water at my marina for delivery. I don't want to bother taking the tow stuff off with LX. Though for sure when we go anywhere remotely close outside of Knox with the boat we will use LX. It's got some dents in it but it is not an eyesore at all, that I could understand having an issue with. It still looks decent shined up, just...used lol.
Old 06-12-22, 02:35 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a negative definition of a beater car... 13 years ago I was working with these older people and this one guy had an old Corolla that was all beat up, interior torn to hell, seats shredded, dents all over the body, etc. I asked somebody why this person is driving this piece of (used some colorful language that isn't allowed here). They said it was a good work car, whatever that means.

So now when I hear the term beater car, I immediately think back to that awful Corolla. We worked at a lumber mill but it's not like he was so dirty that he needed to drive something like that. Maybe he had some attachment to it. Lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation