Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-23, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That’s a crazy story lol

Personally I like the speedo being a little high…saves me from tickets…
......so does less pressure on the gas pedal.
Old 01-22-23, 06:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
LOL. I assume that's some crazy expensive radar detector haha.

My Lexus vehicles soothe me and so does this Mercedes, but it does get my pulse up when I start having fun with it. Not a sports car but damn it's fun. Like I said I keep my garage closed when I start it just to bask in listening to that German V8 starter. I accelerate fast quite a bit with it but I usually slow down back to the speed limit.

LS is a snooze mobile but that's how I like it and wouldn't want it in any other way. LX will get your pulse up but mostly when in its element having fun.
It's about 3k but has active laser jamming and all spectrum+"pop" radar detection as well as GPS integration and fully smart behavior adaptations. It's basically an "I win" button vs cops detecting you
Old 01-22-23, 06:49 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
......so does less pressure on the gas pedal.
Oh man, that's a good one!

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's about 3k but has active laser jamming and all spectrum+"pop" radar detection as well as GPS integration and fully smart behavior adaptations. It's basically an "I win" button vs cops detecting you
You worried about getting any unwanted attention?
Yeah buddy, I have to believe when they know their laser or radar got jammed. lol

Old 01-22-23, 06:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Oh man, that's a good one!

You worried about getting any unwanted attention?
Yeah buddy, I have to believe when they know their laser or radar got jammed. lol
They actually don't, that's the nice part lol! I have never had a problem......and I think it should stay that way.
Old 01-22-23, 07:25 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

You might if you use it to completely defeat it. The "proper" way of doing it is to slow down and release the jam. There have been a few cases.

Otherwise, over here the most dangerous variety is a radar-based detector in single fire mode - if there's no traffic up front (that they decide to measure in order for your RD to pick it up), you're cooked.
Old 01-22-23, 07:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
You might if you use it to completely defeat it. The "proper" way of doing it is to slow down and release the jam. There have been a few cases.

Otherwise, over here the most dangerous variety is a radar-based detector in single fire mode - if there's no traffic up front (that they decide to measure in order for your RD to pick it up), you're cooked.

Oh man, that don't sound good at all.

I always been too chicken to use a jammer.
Of course at my older age now, I don't see well enough to speed anymore. lol
Old 01-22-23, 07:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf

Oh yeah, I am set for 4 seconds on laser jamming even though the system can defeat to gun. The single fire radar systems are difficult, supposedly they can still detect it but that type "pop" is the hardest/shortest warning range
Old 01-22-23, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I have never had any need to have a radar detector. In 25 years of driving I think I’ve been stopped maybe 3 times, 4 times. I drive considerably over the speed limit too…
Old 01-22-23, 07:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I have never had any need to have a radar detector. In 25 years of driving I think I’ve been stopped maybe 3 times, 4 times. I drive considerably over the speed limit too…
It's just nice to have the ability to send it hard on your favorite roads, and so you know if you can pass with full power on trips. It's not needed though, I just like having the edge plus it allows me to run as a scout for packs.
Old 01-22-23, 07:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's just nice to have the ability to send it hard on your favorite roads, and so you know if you can pass with full power on trips. It's not needed though, I just like having the edge plus it allows me to run as a scout for packs.
I just drive lol
Old 01-22-23, 07:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I just drive lol
Fair point! I do the same when I am going on longer trips, I don't even turn the systems on.
Old 01-23-23, 06:15 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

I was checking this morning and it was fluctuating from less than 1 to 3. I wonder if it’s the speedo or Waze. As for speed check, I think iMap does a decent job of informing us ahead. I heard Waze was good too. Certain bmws also come with this feature at a small fee after first year. And I too never bought a radar detector.

Last edited by 1111GS; 01-23-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 08:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

They are really well packaged, you get great interior space in what is a relatively compact exterior. It’s interesting how vehicles like the Atlas and Grand Cherokee L are much longer but have less combined legroom… the GLS for instance is 9 inches longer and has the same combined legroom…not to mention the same cabin noise reading as the GLS according to Alex
You just piqued my interest and I took a few minutes to take a look online at both the 23 Telluride and Palisade. I personally like the looks of Palisade more so spent more time focused there and compared the interior dimensions and specs from Car & Driver's website on my 2010 LX 570. I am absolutely shocked - the Palisade (and I assume the Telluride) actually have more room in almost every category than our LX. The 2nd row has 8 extra inches of legroom! Shoulder room, head room, and hip room are very similar and in most cases in favor of the Palisade. Palisade has 10% more cargo space behind 2nd row than the LX. This is crazy to me. I've been contemplating something different for us - my requirements are 2nd row captains chairs, a more usable 3rd row, and more cargo room when 3rd row is not in use. I would have never even thought to look at these - thought I was going to be looking at Tahoe/Yukon, but this is eye opening. I'm gonna hit a dealership in coming weeks and really take a look. It would drive way better than the LX, get 50% plus better gas mileage, and not "require" premium gas.
Old 01-23-23, 08:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
You just piqued my interest and I took a few minutes to take a look online at both the 23 Telluride and Palisade. I personally like the looks of Palisade more so spent more time focused there and compared the interior dimensions and specs from Car & Driver's website on my 2010 LX 570. I am absolutely shocked - the Palisade (and I assume the Telluride) actually have more room in almost every category than our LX. The 2nd row has 8 extra inches of legroom! Shoulder room, head room, and hip room are very similar and in most cases in favor of the Palisade. Palisade has 10% more cargo space behind 2nd row than the LX. This is crazy to me. I've been contemplating something different for us - my requirements are 2nd row captains chairs, a more usable 3rd row, and more cargo room when 3rd row is not in use. I would have never even thought to look at these - thought I was going to be looking at Tahoe/Yukon, but this is eye opening. I'm gonna hit a dealership in coming weeks and really take a look. It would drive way better than the LX, get 50% plus better gas mileage, and not "require" premium gas.
First off, stop wasting your money on premium trust me. This is the exact same V8, identical in every way, that was built and installed along side the Land Cruiser which asked for regular. If your engine blows I'll buy you a new one.

And yeah, crossovers can have massive room inside because they don't have truck underpinnings. Another benefit of them.

I'm not going to say a Palisade would drive better than an LX though personally. LX is a hoot to drive, crossovers drive just like cars which is yet another benefit but if you're a truck person there's just no other way.
Old 01-23-23, 08:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I'm not going to say a Palisade would drive better than an LX though personally. LX is a hoot to drive, crossovers drive just like cars which is yet another benefit but if you're a truck person there's just no other way.
I've had our LX for 7 years now and I honestly don't know that I've ever felt like I enjoy driving it around town. I do like it on a road trip though. I bought this because we needed more space than our GX and because I love the legendary reliability history of the LX and Land Cruiser. It has been a great vehicle for us, but I would not classify it as a "hoot to drive".

When I say the Palisade would drive better than the LX, I'm saying that from a perspective of wanting something quiet and luxurious. I don't want or need a true truck feeling experience - I've literally never taken the LX off road other than driving on the beach in the Outer Banks and areas of FL.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation